Bug Out Utility Trailer Build for Gladiator

Old bike doc

First trailer build, so I'm certainly looking for input. Roughly 5x8 rolling on Gladiater spare steelies and 33" tires and beefy enough to hold gear, RTT and two Groms. Current estimate with full water tank is just under 2k.

Build starts over Christmas break, so I'm in the last stages of design. Using Corel Draw for illustrations and 2x3" and and 2x2" .125" wall square steel tube. for frame and 1.75" and 2" round for the rack.

Big Labrador camps with me and need to get her into RTT, so upper section of rack telescopes into lower section to adjust height. Below would be max height, rack should drop 18" if this all works out.

2021-12-01 07_00_41-CorelDRAW 2018 (64-Bit) - Adventure Trailer.cdr_.jpg

2021-12-01 07_01_33-CorelDRAW 2018 (64-Bit) - 2.jpg

tx-jeremy

Looking good. Interested to see how it progresses. I’m in planning stages now for my BO Overland Trailer.

Been thinking of making a hole for a Coleman mini bike on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old bike doc

265606121_10220943246227274_1675567995868182141_n.jpg

Got the wheel/tire combo sorted on the Gladiator. This defined final width of trailer (looking to keep is as close to Jeep as possible. Factory steel spares, color matched to rig, wrapped in 35x10.5 Kenda Klevers. Super skinny old school feel. Sits on Mopar 2" lift with a 1" spacer in front. Already grabbed two more of this combo for trailer.

Old bike doc

image (2).png

Here's what I'm starting with for the trailer. 3500lb, brake capable and 73" Hub face is super wide, but factory Jeep wheels have a crazy offset, so it brings effective width back in. Should roll out just under 80" wide with Jeep sitting at 75". Spring seat will need to be moved inboard a bit, but that should be low drama.

2021-12-01 07_01_33-CorelDRAW 2018 (64-Bit) - 2.jpg

Rough layout from top. Frame will be 2x4" steel tube and tongue is 2x3", all .120 wall.

Old bike doc

Made some progress. Struggled with axle location. Factor in the 24" kitchen box or not? Ended up splitting the difference. Tank will also move further back. 35" tires on a trailer are just silly.

Attachments

• IMG_9103.JPEG
    IMG_9103.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9104.JPEG
    IMG_9104.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9108.JPEG
    IMG_9108.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_9113.JPEG
    IMG_9113.JPEG
    968.3 KB · Views: 123

Old bike doc

Got a little further and added water tank mount. 23 gallon Amazon purchase. Should be fine for what I'm doing, but does not feel super thick. Built a floor for it, so tank is 100% supported below straps, but may add another strap to deal with the weight. Pump will mount to inside frame rail and plumb to kitchen. May also add a valve off other side for future shower.

IMG_9306.jpg

Adventure Trailer water system.jpg

Old bike doc

First time out of the garage. Raise/lower functionality is solid. May relo the rear jacks inside the frame to raise them up a bit.

IMG_9388.JPEG

IMG_9389.JPEG

Kfred 513

Cool solution to allow you to raise/lower one side at a time. Can you give some more close-up pics of that? Are you going to leave the hardware loose so they slide easy or tighten them down after you adjust the rack height?

Old bike doc

Cool solution to allow you to raise/lower one side at a time. Can you give some more close-up pics of that? Are you going to leave the hardware loose so they slide easy or tighten them down after you adjust the rack height?

Using pop pins to lock the vertical sliders in position. 1/2" pin connection should keep it pretty solid and allows me to unlock them and lift/lower rack. Here's a pic of the initial rough mock up. Verticals will have to be redone out of stainless (can't paint if they slide), so for now the rod ends are attached via crude washer and nut welded to top of tube.

IMG_9326.JPEG

Old bike doc

Few steps closer. Second pic shows the drop axle. Will likely run a little longer shackle Blue tape is next tube, which will tie all the verticals together.

Time Machine pt 2 - Pic 01.JPEG

Time Machine pt 2 - Pic 06.JPEG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles