Buffalo National River

TripLeader

Explorer
Part 8 [Conclusion]

We made one last stop to hike to Whitaker Point.
ADSCF2166.jpg

We found a shower at an RV park. We then started the drive home. That was the trip.

The overall float itinerary had been:
  • Day 1: Ponca (RM 28) to RM 42 ...15 miles.
  • Day 2: RM 42 to Gray Bluff (RM 58) ...15 miles.
  • Day 3: Gray Bluff (RM58) to Woolum (RM 79) ...21 miles.
  • Day 4: Woolum (RM 79) to Spring Creek (RM 116) ...37 miles.
  • Day 5: Spring Creek (RM 116) to Rush (RM 129) ...13 miles.

Five days, 101 miles.

Thanks for reading.

shade

Thanks for another solid trip report.

You mentioned the river level changing rapidly, which made me think of a recent addition to Gaia's available map layers. If you have a cell connection, the USGS Streamflows layer gives real time data, which could be helpful in some situations. My guess is that the layer will auto-update that data if the map has been downloaded for offline use, and a cell connection becomes available.

1586089546288.png

That data is derived from USGS monitoring. Their water data web interface site is being overhauled, so some changes are being slowly rolled out.
It's a great planning resource: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis

TripLeader

Explorer
Wow beautiful trip thanks for sharing. I would love to float that river. How was the fishing?

We only really tried at two of our campsites, Gray Bluff and Spring Creek. We did not do so hot. I blame it on the river being up so high. (Others might blame it on my poor fishing skills. They would probably be correct.) But the fishing can be good if you know what you're doing.

Anyway, we only caught four or five fish. Nothing worthwhile.
1DSCF2050.jpg

1DSCF2055.jpg

1DSCF2107.jpg

And we did run into a ranger who asked to see our fishing licenses.

TripLeader

Explorer
White River 2023

The wife and I have made a couple trips to the Eureka Springs area in the last couple of years. I thought I'd share a few photos from this Fall in the thread. Eureka Springs is near the White River. I figured since the Buffalo flows into the White, it's all related.

We stayed in a room overlooking a bend in the river.

Twilight on the White.
DDP1220409.jpg

TripLeader

Explorer
White River 2023

There was a street festival in downtown Fayetteville. We had stopped by unknowning, just to hit their famous used bookstore.
DDKIMG0202.jpg

The Botanical Garden of the Ozarks, in Fayetteville, had a scarecrow competition underway.
DDP1360507.jpg

DDP1360489.jpg

DDP1360487.jpg

The Crystal Bridges Museum of Art in Bentonville was our other destination that day.
DDP1360558b.jpg

DDP1360567.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier