BudgetBuilder 4runner

Arktikos

Explorer
I'm not too sure I would go with that cooler personally, I would tend to stack gear over it.
Wouldn't do it. All that effort for a cold one? If you do, it might be worth some payback in a beer commercial.:coffeedrink:

budgetbuilder

Observer
Clay - I like the idea of a large recessed lockable storage. In fact I think I like it more than the cooler idea. thanks for posting that link!

Knox - havent really noticed any drastic changes in MPG. The exo roof rack should fit with the hardtop in place. Although i have not had the hardtop in place with the exo rack yet but I had the fabricator fabricate it with that in mind.

Blind Cleric - thx for your opinion! cheers

budgetbuilder

Observer
Intermittent No Start

on a seperate note I have had an intermittent no crank no start after taking long trips with the truck hot, all I got was a single click. I tried banging the starter and messing with wiring, checking/cleaning wiring, grounds etc ....it would usually start after about 10-20 tries. The other day it finally did not start at all no matter what I did. I swapped in a new starter and had the same result...nothing! I then swapped in a new ignition switch and bingo, truck is fixed.

Thought I would post this here in my build thread with hopes that it would help someone experiencing the same problem. I saw a few old threads with the same problem but it seems that the original posters never like to post the actual fix. So here is my fix!

budgetbuilder

Observer
just wanted to provide a quick update on this....after putting the new starter and ignition switch I started getting the intermittent no crank no start again. Was very bummed so I decided to remove the air duct underneath the dash to see what was going on. I discovered a relay and some wires connecting to the harness lower on the harness behind the air duct. These wires appear to be from an alarm one of the previous owners may have had. Anyhow after wiggling that part of the harness I was able to replicate the start and no start condition. I will be removing the relay and soldering the wires back to factory.

What probably happened was when I installed the new ignition switch harness I must of moved the wires around enough to establish connection for a couple weeks.

on a seperate note I have had an intermittent no crank no start after taking long trips with the truck hot, all I got was a single click. I tried banging the starter and messing with wiring, checking/cleaning wiring, grounds etc ....it would usually start after about 10-20 tries. The other day it finally did not start at all no matter what I did. I swapped in a new starter and had the same result...nothing! I then swapped in a new ignition switch and bingo, truck is fixed.

Thought I would post this here in my build thread with hopes that it would help someone experiencing the same problem. I saw a few old threads with the same problem but it seems that the original posters never like to post the actual fix. So here is my fix!

Last edited:

Ridebmx

Hey budgetbuilder,

I had the same no crank start on my rig (1987 4runner) for over a year, I ended up getting one of those ford relays that give the ignition switch an extra boost while starting. Ever since I installed that its been golden. Nice rig, I have almost the same setup!

Cheers,
Ryan

budgetbuilder

Observer
its been about a week since I removed that extra relay and soldered the wires back to factory. Have not had any problems yet.

Thanks for that tip on the ford relay Ridebmx, if for some reason the problem persists I will loook into that.

budgetbuilder

Observer
couple pics of Warthog and I out in Borrego Springs

Attachments

• 1BBnWarthog4-Sandstone.jpg
    1BBnWarthog4-Sandstone.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 1BBRunner2.jpg
    1BBRunner2.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 1BBnWarthog1.jpg
    1BBnWarthog1.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20141124_150752.jpeg
    20141124_150752.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 38

budgetbuilder

Observer
http://www.yotatech.com/f199/rad4runners-1986-4runner-dlx-build-up-252300/

See post #19, maybe that's your issue?

Sorry to link to another forum, but that is the only write up I could find.

Thanks for posting that up I think I ran across that thread on one of my many searches. I really think my issue is related to a loose wire or bad connection. Sometimes when I get the click I reach under the dash and grab the harness and move it around then try to crank and the truck starts.

budgetbuilder

Observer
Nice 1st gen,makes me wish I still had mine....great build man !

Thanks Willie, im really enjoying the truck. I find myself starring at it sometimes wondering what else I can do to it. I just put the hardtop back on yesterday and boy do I miss the versatility of the softtop already. The hardtop is better in the rain though!

budgetbuilder

Observer
so I was tinkering in the garage last night and I found some small rectangular shaped foglights in one of my parts bins. I was trying to figure out how I could use them. The amber lights on my winch bumper were useless they operate as blinkers only. Those of you that have 1st gen 4runners know that a pair of foglights would be a great addition to the factory headlights. Heres what i ended up doing, I pulled the side markers and cut a hole and relocated the blinker up to the side marker light. So now the upper side marker lights house both the parking light and the blinker in them. I then pulled the amber lenses off the winch bumper and used the housings. The small foglights actually fit pretty good in those housings. I drilled one hole to secure the foglight bracket. Turned out pretty good I think, it actually allows pretty decent adjustability for aiming the foglights. Im going to grab some gunmetal paint and give the inner housing a good coat of paint so that they dont get to weathered out.

Attachments

• 20141214_203301.jpg
    20141214_203301.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 21
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

budgetbuilder

Observer
I also snagged a 4 switch panel off a van at the boneyard. Anyone in the Riverside area that is good at electrical/wiring and works for beer?:sombrero:

I want to have the following wired to the switch panel:

CB
Roof Light bar
Front bumper lights
Foglights

Also on a seperate note, I managed to break my 3rd brake light last time I went out with Warthog. So I hacked up an extra HF tow hitch led light i had kickin around and mounted it as a center cap brake light.

Attachments

• 20141130_164219.jpeg
    20141130_164219.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 20
  • 20141125_172841.jpg
    20141125_172841.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior