BudgetBuilder 4runner

budgetbuilder

Observer
BudgetBuilder 1st Gen 4runner - Riverside, CA

Hello All, Im new to this forum my name is Andrew and im located in Riverside, CA. I have been perusing the threads in this forum for quite some time to get some ideas for my 4runner. There is lots of great info and write-ups here and i look forward to getting my rig going so i can join you guys on the trails.

Approx 6 months after i bought the truck the headgasket blew, at that time i swapped in a new long block. After the install it ran great for about a month then developed a backfire through the intake. Diagnosed as a rounded camshaft lobe. Had the cam replaced and she is back up an running and it gave me the motivation i needed to start getting it outfitted.

I will start by posting a pic of my 1987 4runner 4x4 22re auto when i bought it 2 yrs ago.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,195
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 2,205
Last edited:

budgetbuilder

Observer
lets fast forward to how she looks today....i have outlined below some of the stuff i've done to it so far.

Luggage Rack (2000 4runner)
Modified TJM-13 Winch bumper w Milemarker E9000 winch and 2 Hella 500's
Custom Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier/gas can holder/shovel mount
Custom Rocksliders with rear kickout
Hi Lift Jack with 4crawler hi lift mount
Diff Breather Mod
SwayAWay Torsion Bars
Add-a-leaf Rear Spring
3.5" rear lift shackles
Leaf Spring Poly Bushings
Energy Low Profile bump stops
Bilstein HD shocks
15x8 Cragar Soft 8
BFG A/T 33x12.5x15
Uniden 510XL CB w/ wilson flex antenna
Grant Challenger steering wheel
Pioneer 6x9 hardtops
Platinum Diehard Marine Battery
4:88 Ring and Pinion w/master install kits
Aussie Locker XD-20830 8" (Rear)
KTT Soft top
custom roof rack
Thor power inverter
mv-50 onboard air

Will update this thread as i get more things done.

Attachments

• New 015.jpg
    New 015.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 126
  • rockslider.jpg
    rockslider.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,171
  • New 006.jpg
    New 006.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

budgetbuilder

Observer
i had been running two 10" subs in a box however it was taking up too much space back there. Last night i pulled the rear side panels to see what i can fit back there. I relocated the stock speakers closer to the front and modified some 6x9 brackets from a PT cruiser conv and mounted some 6x9 Pioneer 3 way hardtops. The magnets were big and they butt-up right against the body, luckily the magnets had a rubber guard around them.

i just need to get an amp now....im thinking a motorcycle amp like a hawg wired, arc etc may do the trick. I will leave the panels off for now because i still need to route the antenna coaxial cable.

Attachments

• New 005.jpg
    New 005.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

blakeape

Adventurer
Gotta love the 1st gens! I just started building my 88 after 2 years sitting in a Costco shed and collecting parts.

austintaco

Explorer
More info on the rear bumper! Very cool. I would say great start, but you are already "done". Done being relative.

budgetbuilder

Observer
thanks for the positive comments guys!

the rear bumper is a custom swing out style bumper i had made. It consists of 3x2 square stock with support bars underneath. I had the fabricator install some d-ring mounts, a tow hitch, shovel holder, lockable dual gas can holder, cb antenna mount. I also had some nice dimple die kick outs on the corners added which match the kickouts on the rear part of the sliders. I had the kickouts added so i can climb up and load the luggage rack a bit easier.

Theres tons of dimple die work and gussets everywhere. I dont call him Mike The Dimple Die guy for nothing! ha

Last edited:

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Great looking 1st gen!
Curious how much that bumper ran. I'm looking to get one for my 4runner.
It looks great with those sliders.
How much weight have you had up there on the rack?

budgetbuilder

Observer
Today, 01:51 AMJasonRedwood
Great looking 1st gen!
Curious how much that bumper ran. I'm looking to get one for my 4runner.
It looks great with those sliders.
How much weight have you had up there on the rack?

i did some trading in that deal but i would say about $1k

i havent had the roof rack up there very long....so havent had much of anything up there, just thinking ahead i guess =)

Plannerman
Wow, very nice 1st gen!

By the way, I'm also in the Riverside area

cool hope to run into ya someday, i'll be sure to invite you out on some trail runs. I have some toyota buddies out in West Covina who are always going out.

Wainiha
Sliders look good.

thanks man! i agree...i was very happy how they turned out.

jeepstream

Observer
Not exactly the kind of rig I expected with the title "BudgetBuilder". I guess your budget keeps building.

Based on your approach to the sliders and rear bumper, can we expect to see some custom interior side panels with dimples? I'm excited to see how they turn out as well as the KTT. :lurk:

budgetbuilder

Observer
took her out to Cleghorn trails this past weekend to stretch the legs a bit and she held up great!

i realized quickly how important finding the right line is with an IFS. I had some wheel spin early on but other than that truck did great. I cant wait to get the lockers in so i can maybe try some of the harder stuff.

I ordered a Wilson Belden 18" ft COax cable and i will be pairing that with a Wilson 3' flex antenna for my Uniden 510.

i will also be swapping out the stock leaf shackles with some longer ones to give the truck some rake.

Also still hunting for a small amp for my 6x9's

Attachments

• 0428031334.jpg
    0428031334.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior