Budget Travel

Dale

Adventurer
My criteria at the time was 4-season capability, economical to travel with and I could sleep overnight in stealth mode, so I ended up with a 2001 Subaru Outback.
As we all know the 4-season capability from Subaru
123.jpg

I wanted the capability of transfering the vehicle for different task. The first thing I noticed was all of the wasted space taken up by the back seat.
131.jpg

Look at the amount of storage room that was created.
134.jpg

I use small soft sided bags picked up at the local Thrift Store to seperate all my gear
Sub5.jpg

This is the sleeping platform I made from stuff laying around the house
Sub10.jpg

The frame was made from a 2"x4" and the plywood is hinged to gain access. The platform is suspended using paracord and carabineers which click into existing seat latch
Sub6.jpg

another shot of the frame
1595-1.jpg

Bed consist of two 20' wide x 1" Thermarest topped with eggcrate foam and our old sleeping bags when we were kids.
135.jpg

I added 20% transparent tint to conceal the interior and keep the temps lower. I also added rainguards to crack the windows for fresh air in stealth
mode. I have more photos to upload for bug screening, insulated window blinds for wintercamping, my micro kitchen set, bathroom solutions, stay tuned

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
That's a sleeper alright. *pun unintended* The suby blends in easily with other cars.

Nice sleeping platform set up. Looks like you get quite a bit of storage area underneath the sleeping platform.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I've always had a love for the Suby wagons. Dont remember where I got this photo as it was just some concept photo for a Volvo XD70 Concept, but I saw this years ago and have kept it saved all this time.

It could be something to keep to get ideas off of for the Subaru if you're thinking about making it more off-road worthy??

899959614_49E7a-L.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very nice! I'm contemplating a similar mod for my '99 4Runner.

I love the idea of doing "more with less." Less money spent on mods + more economical vehicle = more $$ left over to travel with!

Dale

Adventurer
I've seen several posts on bug netting. I purchased a roll of no see-um from Home Depot and made screens for all four windows. I have 4 velcro circles permately atteched to the inside of the door and on both side of the screens so I don't have to bother with left and right sides
IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

When I am parked overnight where I feel comfortable I will use this $3 jungle hammock netting. Just drape over the hatchback.
IMG_0085.jpg

Dale

Adventurer
Looks like I only have pictures of the front privacy screen, it is a Dollar Store sun screen with a little modification.
IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

the others are made of foiled bubble wrap, I'll post som photos soon.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
There are lift kits for the subi's. You should look into that and see what they cost. It would be really nice to have a bit of a lift for it.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Looks good and I like your bug screens.

It is amazing how much roo there is with the back seat out. I made a similar shelf in the back of my H3 for camping and hauling stuff.

D

Deleted member 9101

Man, I have been kicking around a similar idea for years... I love it!

mezaelectric

hella rally 4000

hi iam locking for 1 hella rally 4000 cornering lents
because in my dyrtbyke i install 2 hella 4000 spot lights and I have
dark cornering points and I will like to have 1 cornering and 1 spot light if anyone wants to swap lents or sell 1 tome call 559 375 8224 or
emailme to :
mezaelectric@hotmail.com

Dale

Adventurer
Thank you for the replies. I have no intention of lifting the Subaru because I haven't felt a need to. I have this when the going gets tough:
2160.jpg

I've been holding out for a used 8' Fiberglass non-cabover Alaskan, so I've just been using the Subie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles