Budget start solar suggestion

ohmyback

Looking for suggestions on a starter system for under $200.00. I have a marine battery I can use to start out with. Needing suggestions on a panel and controller.
System will be used to charge phones , laptop, and run the occasional Led light for starters. First time out system should be able to recharge majority of the day. I do not plan on mounting anything yet.
Keeping it flexible to start so I can use the setup for other uses around the house as well.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
How much room can you dedicate to safely transporting the solar panel? The 100w rigid panels are roughly 2'x4' and 1.5" thick.
I have a 100w Renogy for the camper but just got a 120W Aimes Solar foldable and a MPPT controller for just shy of $300 for when I only take the Scout. Both off of Amazon. The 120w panel is 22"x11"x1" folded. Much easier to transport. The MPPT controllers are pretty big and expensive compared to a PWM but are better at getting the most out of your panels.
I can't report on the foldable panel I just got as I haven't done anymore than just wire it up and test it. This weekend it will get used for an entire week keeping the fridge and things running at camp.
I started out similar to you, looking to not spend too much.
1st a 30w rigid panel with a PWM...worked fine and not too bulky but really needed more juice.
2nd the Renogy 100w rigid. Good power (for my needs) and stays in place in the wind sitting on the roof of the camper but way to bulky for transport in my Scout.
Now the 120w foldable and a MPPT.
Based on your needs you may not need a 100w panel but if you get a fridge in the future you will want more than a smaller panel puts out.

My $.02

Darrell

Last edited:

ohmyback

How much room can you dedicate to safely transporting the solar panel? The 100w rigid panels are roughly 2'x4' and 1.5" thick.
I have a 100w Renogy for the camper but just got a 120W Aimes Solar foldable and a MPPT controller for just shy of $300 for when I only take the Scout. Both off of Amazon. The 120w panel is 22"x11"x1" folded. Much easier to transport. The MPPT controllers are pretty big and expensive compared to a PWM but are better at getting the most out or your panels.
I can't report on the foldable panel I just got as I haven't done anymore than just wire it up and test it. This weekend it will get used for an entire week keeping the fridge and things running at camp.
I started out similar to you, looking to not spend too much.
1st a 30w rigid panel with a PWM...worked fine and not too bulky but really needed more juice.
2nd the Renogy 100w rigid. Good power (for my needs) and stays in place in the wind sitting on the roof of the camper but way to bulky for transport in my Scout.
Now the 120w foldable and a MPPT.
Based on your needs you may not need a 100w panel but if you get a fridge in the future you will want more than a smaller panel puts out.

My $.02

Darrell

Thank you very much for the suggestion!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Are all of the Morningstar controllers good?

Yes. Some perform better than others, as the MPPT units have better harvest. But they are more expensive. With a ~35$ PC connector, you can custom program the charge profiles. The default profiles are okay, but tend to be a bit conservative on absorb votlages for flooded batteries.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
If your needs aren't that great (i.e. no fridge), Schumacher sells a 15W panel with controller for about $65. Available at O'Reilly Auto.

I have one in my remote cabin to keep a battery topped off and run LED lights. Works fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles