Budget overland vehicle advice

MOguy

Explorer
Sorry I meant more off-road capable than a van particularly a 2wd van. While it would be nice to have a vehicle more capable than the tundra we had,I’m going to have to make compromises. More off-road capable also means less space. I had thought of buying a 4Runner and pulling a trailer for gear however I don’t think that would work for me. I feel like it would limit off-road capability more than a bigger vehicle would and when I’m in a more populated area I think it would make parking more difficult than it should be. Particularly anywhere where parking is at a premium and cost money. It sounds like I’m either going to have to fork over for a bigger rig or compromise on the amount of gear I bring. Pretty much no vehicle completely stock is going to do the job I’m either going to need to find a topper, cargo box, bigger tires, etc or a combination of those.
If you are only trying to out perform a 2wd van then the GM trucks I advised against could work. Good value, parts available and can be good vehicles.

All above are good suggestions everything is a compromise.

If I were to recommend one overall rig not to big not too small bullet proof climb anything carry any thing get a Dodge/Ram 2500 short bed Cummins diesel. Auto trader has at least 20 with the price range you are thinking of. For pure stealth a white one and add a white aluminum contractor shell and you will look like a government or service truck and when not in the woods you can park safely in any light industrial area.

Keep the lift minimal as well as tires and wheels skinny though.8ccfe3e6f7bc5dac5c411487a12ce669.jpg

Portal build thread:

See this write up:

This rig is now the Down to MOB guy with tons of vids. Probably has 400K on it by now only difference is you keep the stock bed and shell and skip the big camper. You can always upgrade to a bigger camper if you find your plan is space limited in reality. Can't do that on a Taco or Nissan or any SUV like the Seqouia.

This engine will go 250 K if taken care of and another 250K on a rebuild. Truck will go anywhere you can take short of a rock crawler trail and come back. Tons in scrap yards for cheap replacement parts.

For what you stated in your OP all the "Mid-size" are all too small and don't really get better mpg. A good tune on the Cummins and you will see 20 mpg.

I have a 3500 dually and it's a freight train in power and get 17 mpg all day long at 100K miles.

Check this number out Stick and I bet can be had for less than $5k dealer probably paid $1000.

Screenshot_2019-11-16-20-31-52-083.jpeg

Last edited:

nmhaarmann

All above are good suggestions everything is a compromise.

If I were to recommend one overall rig not to big not too small bullet proof climb anything carry any thing get a Dodge/Ram 2500 short bed Cummins diesel. Auto trader has at least 20 with the price range you are thinking of. For pure stealth a white one and add a white aluminum contractor shell and you will look like a government or service truck and when not in the woods you can park safely in any light industrial area.

Keep the lift minimal as well as tires and wheels skinny though.View attachment 550857

Portal build thread:

See this write up:

This rig is now the Down to MOB guy with tons of vids. Probably has 400K on it by now only difference is you keep the stock bed and shell and skip the big camper. You can always upgrade to a bigger camper if you find your plan is space limited in reality. Can't do that on a Taco or Nissan or any SUV like the Seqouia.

This engine will go 250 K if taken care of and another 250K on a rebuild. Truck will go anywhere you can take short of a rock crawler trail and come back. Tons in scrap yards for cheap replacement parts.

For what you stated in your OP all the "Mid-size" are all too small and don't really get better mpg. A good tune on the Cummins and you will see 20 mpg.

I have a 3500 dually and it's a freight train in power and get 17 mpg all day long at 100K miles.

Check this number out Stick and I bet can be had for less than $5k dealer probably paid $1000.

View attachment 550864
nice looking rig!

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I would take a sub/tahoe over a cummins dodge all day, every day. those gen 2 dashes will literally fall out in your lap in pieces on a rough road (if there are any pieces of it left at all) and a nose heavy cummins is terrible off road! If you're not towing, leave the diesel at home...

I would take a sub/tahoe over a cummins dodge all day, every day. those gen 2 dashes will literally fall out in your lap in pieces on a rough road (if there are any pieces of it left at all) and a nose heavy cummins is terrible off road! If you're not towing, leave the diesel at home...

This is what overlanding in a Chevy feels like

Brown-Sugar-RV-001-720x340_1.jpg

Suburban Overlanding FAIL

suburban-tow-fail.png

Gets Jimmy instead

BBWpyzG.jpeg

I am a horrible person

Can't seem to get posting right the first time forget to size image got to go back and edit.

Looks good in the end though I hope. Lol

tlrols

That is a tight budget for what you seek. Doable but be willing to be picky and maybe travel to get what you seek. That price range puts you at or near the 200K mile range. Used for sure. However, for some modest costs (like timing belt, radiator, water pump replacement) you can easily get another 100k from the Toyota’s. Not so sure about the Nissans. So, say $10k for 100k of service? That beats buying new for sure. The Sequoia is called the big tree for a reason. It’s big. However, almost all of the Big Tree’s have been strictly on road beasts driven by soccer moms in my observation. I drive an agile 3rd gen 4Runner but if you don’t drive tight trails a Sequoia might be the best ride for your dollar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles