BudBuilt Traction Bar Solves the "Clunk"

Willman

When i was test driving my new truck, it felt like the rear drums were out of place and sticking a little when i came to a stop. I went ahead and bought the rig thinking that i could solve the problem. After tearing the drums apart and taking it to a local tech, we still could not find the problem. Even when i took the tech for a test drive, we could not duplicate the same "clunk" noise coming from the rear. After doing some research on the different forums...found out that that I and many others were having a alxe-rap problem causing the driveline to make a "clunk" noise. After reading this LONG thread on the problem:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6957&highlight=clunk

I came to the conclusion that i was having a axle-rap problem and needed a traction bar. This was not a grease problem with the driveline! I was lucky enough to find a local guy had one new for sale and quickly took it off his hands!

Here's the install:
I had dual exhaust (In one out two)...Time to cut this off to make room for the BudBuilt traction bar.

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01446.jpg

With the exhaust off, it was time to drain the rear differential oil to make sure to prevent any leaks when removing the differential studs.

DSC01447.jpg

Now it was time to remove the studs. I used a pair of vise grips to remove all five of the studs...A needle nose vise grips would have cut the demo in half of removing the studs!

DSC01448.jpg

With the old studs removed, time to put the new longer studs to hold the plate in.

DSC01449.jpg

With the studs in place, i bolted up the plate being very careful not to over do anything. I used loctite on all the bolts to insure a good hold.

DSC01450.jpg

Next was to install the crossmember mounting bracket.

DSC01451.jpg

With both brackets installed, it was time to fit the Bud Bar in place. I did run in to a problem with a bolt that was a little long...so i took my saw to it to fix the problem.

DSC01452.jpg

DSC01453.jpg

It took a few times to get the right fit. After i got it all inplace, put new oil back into the differential and took it around the block!
Right from the start, not even getting 20 feet down my street feeling a huge difference in the rear end! The "clunk" had totally gone away! The problem was solved!!!

That next weekend, it was time to test it out in the back roads! The bar did not restrict any flex at all!!! I have not felt any "clunks" since i have installed this bar!

DSC01460.jpg

This by far has been a great mod!!! It has been nice to come to a stop with out feeling a "clunk" anymore! This overall install took about 4 hours.

If any of you are having this problem with your rig, stop thinking that grease will fix it....Get a BudBar and forget about it!!!!!

THE END OF THE "CLUNK"

Last edited:

Brian894x4

Explorer
Looks good!

I have a Budbuilt traction bar too. It's a GREAT product, especially for folks like me who haven't learned to weld....yet.

Bud is a SUPER nice guy and willing to help out anyone, answer questions or whatever. I would do business with him again anytime.

Scott Brady

Founder
Man, your truck is looking great. With the shell, swing-out and meaty tires it sure looks the part.

Nice job on the install :victory:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Somewhat off topic... What rear springs are you running? Seems the only trucks I've seen experience this much axle wrap are those with soft stock springs or lift blocks. How many leafs do your packs have?

Willman

cruiseroutfit said:
Somewhat off topic... What rear springs are you running? Seems the only trucks I've seen experience this much axle wrap are those with soft stock springs or lift blocks. How many leafs do your packs have?

I'm running stock leafs with a 2" shackle.....I had the problem even before i lifted the truck. I am 86 the 2" shackle to make room for some Deavers hopefully coming soon to boost up the rear!

:costumed-smiley-007

BRONZ

So if I get a lift with new spring pack that will take care of the clunk.

I don't want to spend money on the traction bar to get rid of the clunk if I am just going to get a lift down the road anyway.

Clutch

<---Pass
BRONZ said:
Kermit

Did it clunk before your Deavers

Yes, it did. It reallly wasn't that bad. It also had a a bit of a wobble at highway speed, when loaded.

I should also mention, I have a 7 leaf pack, unlike some of the other trucks on here with 10 or 12 leaf packs.

I did mine a few years ago, long before I discovered this site. I was going to install airbags, for the heavy loads, but, from my readings they seem more problematic than what they are worth.

I may upgrade to the 10 leaf packs in the future (and greaseable shackles)....or buy a bigger truck. ;) A one ton diesel pick-up with a Four Wheel Camper...would be nice. (Insert a BUT here)... I have had such good luck with Toyotas, I am hard-pressed to look elsewhere.

EDIT: Who am I kidding...I don't want a new big truck...my sights are on a KTM Adventure.:)

Last edited:

Willman

update

Now with the Deaver 10 pack it is totally solid in the rear!! With having the Budbar in for now 6 months or so....Great mod in solving the "clunk" problem!!! Ever since the Budbar has been installed....it has killed the "clunk" issue!!!

:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles