Bucky's slightly older cousin.

spacer

Observer
I brought my "new" Suburban home yesterday, a 2004 Z71.
Suburban.jpgdrivewayburb.jpg

The really good news: I reset the mpg meter on the DIC on the way home, and by the time I shut her down in the driveway, I had an average of 19.5. Woot! Huzzah for a light right foot! (I was doing around 70 on the mostly freeway commute)
Three of the tires are getting a little thin, so I'm going to have to go the budget route soon, and find some take-offs in good shape to tide me over for a bit. I'll get the alignment checked at the same time.
The previous owners' dogs left olfactory evidence, but some specialty schpritz from Petsmart seems to be doing a fine job of eliminating that, and I'll be ordering a new cabin air filter, too.
There is a minor dent in the very top corner of the left front fender, but isn't really bothering me much, and the grille guard provides a visual distraction from it, so I'll leave that until I'm ready to get to those fiddly bits. Otherwise, the body is in amazingly good shape. No rust issues, being a southern truck.
The only other thing I see broken are a couple of the door-mounted courtesy lights. I may not even replace those, and may find something else to fill the narrow rectangular holes. All the other controls are fully intact and working.

One day, I'll get to the lightly cracked, but not holed, seat covers, but that can wait for a while. I may pick up a set of stretch-on covers for the time being.

Carpet is fine, other than the aforementioned odor, and my dog will soon be adding hers too, but to a lesser extent. We've generally been good at mitigating these things with our own pets... that or we just notice it less when it's our own dogs.

No lift planned. While I do plan to fit some mild AT treads, they'll be stock or maybe just a size bigger, and I may level up the front a little. I definitely don't want to go overboard here, as I'm considering selling my little commuter car and don't want to take a bigger hit on fuel economy.

BigTex

Observer
Looks nice. I keep an eye out for Z71 Suburbans and Tahoes of this vintage constantly. I do regret selling mine. I like the '05 2500HD I'm in now, but miss the ride of the 1/2 ton for daily driving.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking rig Spacer. Can I ask what you payed for it? Keeps us updated with what you do to your `Burb´with lots of pics. That truck has a lot of potential. Cheers, Chilli.:)

spacer

Observer
$7k
While I knew the Z71 package had a few nice upgrades with the suspension and some skidplates, a very nice surprise was that rack roller in the back. My canoe will love it!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
$7k
While I knew the Z71 package had a few nice upgrades with the suspension and some skidplates, a very nice surprise was that rack roller in the back. My canoe will love it!
Yeah the Z71's were usually loaded. I wanted a Z71 badly but every one I found was black (no way was I getting a black vehicle with the vicious sun we get here.) Check the RPO codes in the glove box to see what options it has. I was fortunate, mine had every option I wanted (towing package, leather, Bose stereo, G80 rear LSD, 3.73 gears) and none that I didn't want (2nd row buckets, sunroof and auto ride suspension.)
As far as MPG goes, I've gotten 19.5 as well, on a 400 mile trip up into the mountains and back. The trip was to pick up a motorcycle sidecar - at first I thought I'd have to take the trailer but nope - side car fit in the back of the truck with room to spare! Keep the truck at moderate speeds on the highway and it will get surprisingly good MPG. Of course, in stop-and-go city driving, MPG will just suck. 11 - 12 is what I get around town.
Interesting thing about the OBC (On Board Computer) that is part of the Drivers Information Center (DIC): My '07 4runner had an OBC that showed my MPG and I used to refer to it as the "Lie-o-meter" since it was so horribly inaccurate (it would say I was getting 21 MPG when my actual MPG was around 17.) I ran a Scangauge II (which unlike the OBC, could be calibrated) so I had something to compare it to. I pretty much got to the point where I ignored the OBC since it was worthless to me and concentrated on the SGII instead.
Then I got the Suburban, and of course it has the non-calibratable OBC as well. I was expecting the same kind of inaccuracy that I saw on the 4runner, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only is the OBC on the Suburban more accurate than the one on the 4runner, it is actually more accurate than the Scangauge II! I'm actually considering pulling the SGII out of the Suburban since it's really not necessary - I had the dashboard rebuilt by Circuit Board Medics (http://www.circuitboardmedics.com) and they added a transmission temperature gauge, which was the main reason I put the SGII on the truck in the first place.
Nice to see another one for the GMT-800 Suburban Mafia! :sombrero: Soon we'll own this place!

spacer

Observer
The DIC in my '06 HHR was amazingly accurate, after a few notepad figures at fillups agreed with within a fraction of an mpg, so I hope this one does as well. I'll still run the manual figures for a few tanks, just to check.

You had me picturing a bunch of Burbs lined up like the trucks in Smokey and the Bandit II. :D

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
$7k

Is your suburban a 3/4 ton? Also, what size motor do you have in it? Thanks, Chilli..:wings:

spacer

Observer
It's a half ton, with the 5.3 L59

I see people occasionally complain that these don't have enough grunt, but as I grew up in the '80s, when 300 horses meant "hot rod", I'm not at all unhappy with this.

spacer

Observer
I've been having the Service-4wd issue, and at one point, the Burb shifted into 4lo uncommanded. I had to shut the truck off, start it back up, then shift out of 4lo into 2hi to get home.

After much reading on the InterWebz, and talking with a local mechanic who has always done a good job for me, I've ordered a new encoder motor. It could just be the ring sensor, but I don't want to take it all apart
twice if it turns out to be the motor itself.

spacer

Observer
As I'm waiting for the encoder motor, I found a good price for a dash switch. So I'm going to slip it in and see what shakes.

I did buy a 13 year old truck (I've done far worse, and my ol' '74 K10 was with me for about 17 years) and realize that some parts might reach their end-of-life in the near, or not too distant future.
That's ok. Some of it involved things I've wanted to do for a while. As an aircraft mechanic, I worked with those oversized VW Bug engines a lot, and would like to build a V8, if only to have done it.
I can do that from a short block if needed, just to save some shop work and some of the specialty tools.
That mill can sit pickled for a bit, ready to be dropped in if/when the current engine wheezes its last breath. Right now, though, she's pullin' pretty strong.

The transmission... I might rather leave that to professionals, and I understand some upgraded 4l60e refurbs are fabulous.

Transfer case, we're fairly familiar with the weaknesses of this one, between the switch, encoder motor, and pump rub, but two are easily fixed, and the latter can be remedied pretty well too.

This truck is in amazingly good shape for its age, and all the "ancillary" systems are working great, so I'm not constantly chasing minor electrical gremlins over the rest of the Suburban.

In the meantime, as I'm changing out the encoder motor, I'm going to check on the less accessible fluids (engine and tranny had great color and level the last couple times I checked) and change them as needed.
I think maybe, like with many vehicles, the t-case and diffs might have original equipment fluid in them but I'm hoping, based on the general condition of the truck, that the previous owners kept up with maintenance pretty well.

---------------------------------

No lift is planned at the moment, though I may decide to level up the front a little in the future. AT tires on the stock wheels will do nicely for my purposes, and I'll be putting a couple lights on the grille guard, and some low-profile work lights nestled under the
roof rack facing all four directions.
If I feel more froggy in the future, I might slap a set of MTs on some less expensive wheels... just for fun stuff. I'd want the quieter ATs for most of my highway and mild stuff.

I thought about a roof basket, but the interior has PLENTY of room for all our stuff at the moment, though I'll use our receiver-hitch cargo tray for messy stuff.

Once I'm more comfortable with the truck mechanically, I'll be ready to get back to exploring some southern backroads. :)

Last edited:

spacer

Observer
Slow progress, but Bob's doing quite well.
The 4wd light hasn't turned up since shortly after I changed out the switch, though it did act up once or twice right after. I wonder if maybe the sensor was dirty or something. Dunno, but I'll keep an eye on it.
I didn't return the encoder motor, as that jerk Murphy would probably make me regret it. :D
With a desperately needed alignment, and some new tires (Cooper ATs), it's driving like a dream now. We took it to Chattanooga and back, with some local driving, got 16mpg going there, dropped it to 14.3 while be-bopping around town, and I edged it back up to 15.3 by the time we got back to Birmingham. I was pleased that the whole trip was done in less than a tank, about 26 gallons.

I've been a little concerned with fuel economy, but it seems that some of the alternative vehicles I've considered will narrow that gap to almost nothing with a load on. I'm thinking the Burb will tow a 17' Casita with relatively little effect on my mpgs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior