Bruder style here in North America??

I don't know about the rest of the expo world here but the wife and I want something that we can ride out foul weather inside. Something we don't have to cook or bathroom in the rain or snow.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I don't even think there is a market for the Bruder, all by itself is such a category. I would love to know how many they have actually build and sold. I really doubt it is that many.

Much like most of the "dream" vehicles in most peoples Expo-fantasies, it looks great, and is super cool, but IMO it is too heavy, too large, too complicated, and too expensive.

By all means build what you want, but the trailer category as a whole is flooded to the point of cost being the predominant factor for most buyers, and such a trailer is not cheap.

flipmachine

Adventurer
totally get what you are saying Idasho... but when I owned Off Grid trailers, it always amazed me that people would pay 24-30k for such a small trailer, I built them and I couldnt even afford them, so there will always be money out there that people are willing to spend.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
$30k is nothing when talking about a Bruder.
That's a cool $80k+ USD

There is a tipping point in there for cost. Get high enough, and the buyer must assume it is a long term investment (rightfully so.... its a lot of money)

The sad fact is that very, VERY few people keep their vehicles/trailers for more than a few years, so the investment justification just isn't there.

Grassland

Flip cost will be a huge factor.
North Americans in general will be boggled because they can buy a mainstream trailer that's larger, with more amenities, tvs, microwaves, flush toilets, granite counter tops etc, for 30-50K CAD. Typically people who can afford more than that aren't looking to skimp on certain features. (and they wont get why a properly built small scale build trailer costs more or why its better)
My wife set the rules whatever we get needs standing room, a table that seats four adults, sleeping for 3-4 where the table isn't the main bed. I set the rules it can't be made of OSB and caulking. We agree no TV, no microwave, no flush toilets, don't need inside shower (don't NEED an outside shower either). But the budget is 40K CAD max, so we are basically hosed. Alto Safari Condo fixed roof is closest we have come but it doesnt tick all the right boxes either.

Last edited by a moderator:

QQQ

Sleeping for 3 or 4 without using the dining table is pushing you into a bigger camper, a bigger camper comes with amenities, and the amenities raise the price.

The VMI canyon is at your budget but the table is also the bed.

If you are in Canada check out Taylor coach, while the styling, build materials, and build method is old school RV, the warranty is 4 years and quality is great. They will do custom interior layouts also.

Last edited:

Grassland

A tip out bunk makes the main bed not the table.
Had I known what was going to happen to Livin Lite several years ago, Id have found a way to buy the 13' model with a rear tip out bunk they had. They discontinued it and then kept adding slides to everything else.
I actually spent some time checking out Taylor Coach, they do put more effort in than is typical, and even a few slightly better choices in material. I am just not interested in ever owning a camper made with staples wood and glue ever again.

We are spoiled with the economy of scale in the automotive sector. I got a 4x4 truck brand new with a complex motor, your typical power options, etc, for 32000 CAD in 2014. Far less complexity in a camper, yet you have to spend the same amount to get one thats built decently.

QQQ

I have an older livinlite 21BHS so I hear ya on that one, thor really ruined the entire brand and all the campers IMHO.

Maybe a smaller toy hauler like ATC will work, can get a tip out bunk and IIRC the 20' one is 30k.

QQQ

Hey all, started thinking really really heavy about doing a build similar to a Bruder, I know I have the capabilities to do one... insights? think there is a market?

Yes, I think there is. Although the Bruder is way over the top you could do something very similar. I would love to have one of the campers you've already built but I'm a wuss when it comes to camping and actually want a bathroom and all the comforts of home, lol

flipmachine

Adventurer
it would be a little larger then VMI's units, alot of people I find are looking for something thats rugged but they can also use to live in... thinking of making something similar to a black series... really depends on the customer as for cost.....I just wanna build again and get my creative thoughts flowing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier