"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
37" KO2s for the win!

I've heard the 37s are more like 35.3" mounted. The upgrades you mention are the kind of thing I don't really want to get into. Axle housing, gears, brakes, steering components. 37s seem to be the slippery slope that 315s were on the Land Cruiser.

The red Jeep in my Mojave picture has 35x12.5r17 KO2s. No issue in deep sand. He probably had an easier time than me because his AT tread doesn't dive into ruts as much as mine do.

Yeah, I totally agree, and why my vote goes for the K02s. Of course that vote and $3.50 will buy a cup of decent coffee, on the cheap side of town. :elkgrin:

Brake upgrade could be as simple as a more aggressive pad, if you so desire.
I'd like to have a bit more modulation with less pedal effort, especially off road when driving the transmission against the brakes to load the suspension. Otherwise I don't drive fast enough or close enough to "need" better performance for the street. Definitely a "personal choice", not a necessity.

I have bent a few Tie Rods on past rigs, and my other rig currently has a bent tie rod that is right on the edge of not being able to get toe-in set correct (I've already straightened it once lol). That is why I like the idea of something a bit more beefy. But again, I agree with you about not "needing" it for a 35" tire.

I do like the HD Moog ball joints (I *think* the same as what Kojack is using). I've used those on Dana 44s in trucks, and my old K5 that saw some pretty good abuse on 36" tires. They are also reasonably priced, and last I checked still made in the U.S.
This Jeep doesn't get enough miles to serve as an example, but other posters who seem competent to me, see earlier failure than normal with the larger tires. While I wouldn't rush out to replace parts that are serviceable, it is something I keep an eye on.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I don't think mine are MOOG, they actually had DANA/SPICER logos on the box. Blue seals and gold colored joints. They are sweet.

zigsrig

Adventurer
ARe you at EJS? If so I am officially envious! :beer:

That I am...

bb3261f4265cf14f3798ed5dce15be8b.jpg

Sent from my Jeep

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
We have air.

I'd originally planned to sell my Viair 400p for the hard mount version and mount it under the hood. But I heard a lot of mixed reviews about mounting it under the hood.

Both my wife and I hate airing up, but love airing down. After watching a jku with 37s air up all 4 of its tires faster than my Viar could air up 2, I decided to just go all out and get the top of the line air compressor. I considered the single arb also. I like how the pressure switch and wiring is all built in. And I had one in my 100 with good results. I used my friends to air up after Mojave and it took forever with my stock sized tires. So that solidified the plan to get the twin.

9700e576ca95815a927849f293bc3fcc.jpg

I got a good deal on an ARB CKMTA12 on Jet.com. I also ordered a somewhat rare mounting bracket for it from Barnes4wd that didn't require any drilling. Seems stout enough.

Did I get serial# 666 or 999?

67a65d71f39a7d14ddf54e019cdb548c.jpg

Painted it black with engine enamel.

3fcdbbae064ff8511d6c1fe6654c14ec.jpg

This bracket seems to mount it slightly higher than the MORE bracket. I'll have to get a right angle fitting and run a stainless leader hose to the quick fitting.

3740b6de833be888b3d70660d7103a0e.jpg

Long term plan is to hook it up to a 2 gallon Viair tank of I can figure out a way to mount it in front of the evap canister.

a5e9291a429d46955cd729c6b3977fcb.jpg

MTSN

Explorer
That is a very sweet setup! You'll be able to fill up tires fast, run air tools, whatever you want with that thing!

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Looks like I need to figure out a way to seal that fender bolt. It was painted over before I removed it.

I didn't get around to it, but I have an AEV tire carrier to install. I need to order my new lift and gas caddy for an upcoming Baja trip next month.

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I put in my 2 weeks notice at work yesterday and was told today was my last day.

First order of business: washing the jeep.
b78b5a27ee471fa0bcd4050e21b593f0.jpg

Partially because all the caked on mud was making the underside rust. But also because I don't have to go to work next week. My wife is out of town for the week. And I'm getting two salaries the next week. So Bruce the jeep is getting a bunch of new goodies next week.

More to come.

kojackJKU

I read back through. did you decide on lift and tires yet? I may have missed it but not sure.

My rig going from 265 winter on stock to my 285's on summer! ha ha. quite the difference.

temporary_zpsxbwmp5nz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I read back through. did you decide on lift and tires yet? I may have missed it but not sure.

My rig going from 265 winter on stock to my 285's on summer! ha ha. quite the difference.

temporary_zpsxbwmp5nz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yup. Moving to a final lift and tire size this week hopefully.

AEV 3.5" Lift and BFG AT KO2 35x12.5r17. As much as I like the look of the new 37s, I don't want to open that can of worms and ruin my nice gearing. Hoping for this look/stance:

img_20150605_095239866_hdr.jpg

After seeing my friend's JKUR loaded with the AEV 2.5 Lift and BFG AT KO2 35x12.5r17 tires, I think the stance could use another inch of lift. Plus, his build is lighter than mine and still sags that much.

Messages Image(269147189).jpg

I had to flip around the ARB compressor this weekend. The 90-degree elbow was touching the hood. Added an 18" Viair SS leader hose to help dissipate heat and avoid burning my hand on the quick connect fitting.

IMG_9204.jpg

kojackJKU

Yeah, Once you add bumpers and stuff, things add up quickly. That's why I am keepin the ole plastic stuff and just modifying to useage. I am keeping my rig as light as possible too. The 33s on mine are perfect for our use. I am like yourself. Would love the 37s but the drawbacks of weight, gearing etc keeps me grounded. yours will look great with the 3.5 and 35s.

MTSN

Explorer
Yup. Moving to a final lift and tire size this week hopefully.

AEV 3.5" Lift and BFG AT KO2 35x12.5r17. As much as I like the look of the new 37s, I don't want to open that can of worms and ruin my nice gearing. Hoping for this look/stance:

img_20150605_095239866_hdr.jpg

After seeing my friend's JKUR loaded with the AEV 2.5 Lift and BFG AT KO2 35x12.5r17 tires, I think the stance could use another inch of lift. Plus, his build is lighter than mine and still sags that much.

View attachment 343111
[/ATTACH]

I think that setup will serve you well. Glad to see you're moving up to the 3.5" kit - I love mine and think it rides better now than it did a year ago when I first added it. Here's how mine sat right after the lift with 35s...technically 315 Duratracs which I'm sure are very similar to the KO2s since they always run at least an inch smaller than advertised.

That's cool about the new job too! I just left my last employer 3 weeks ago and took a week off in between gigs, and now I feel like I should have taken another week off before starting the new job!

ktfQW8d70s3MJDtCTw_TQDdUiC9BsqpSSgNXyR6l0Y0yV9PtnJniKRcDeBkVb1XJtwJSY1ZEgMUV8bBGoKdGTmEv_FeqKGyUEuLdgNuqNhbMsb7e03w7IJT_d61mcFAmSj9iWiMa5K4LgMefjY0ji44kbooQmMUHF6bhszWWh1qY6Pwj_RiQ6gfLgpdOciy2Kfa9DcRa1vvRdornHHL3H471OxF9QTVddnSzp8iKAYmM-GPoAu8vF8gIWD_VZPS4_pcJ5R_wfNvEbA9yyR6jyWQuLRxpTTiBAU3rOT8d5fR8gGr0p6xKVD3VI5wXLVlLwDXvq1c-uIDJDxfJCwWe-hzlGB3v9jaWQFKlVZaZZtRmh8ExGORSwd3_NMWNsnKx_YmAVlE_LOsw_-Obs2-Nz2GiXyiK62Kh19CPUFPxh7Rq58szny4P3sXN5XRjeN5lrB2x-KVu4ZzG837apxulxCgDQPUbL4w-3GQDY6MXroooXy4wmVpRGWAHlEnDym0kTnWLEmjUf3SrVvfpzhQrIIweo0DSId-ak0b2ijosDtbMiaSbb3V_35bLZ2ie5h9RQqHT=w876-h657-no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior