"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I installed the Teraflex 2.5" Budget Boost and the AEV geometry correction brackets yesterday. I got a good deal on a used Teraflex spacer lift, but it turned out to be missing the rear brakeline drop brackets, rear longer swaybars and front shock extensions. I ordered those. All considered I still saved a lot of paying retail. But at this pricepoint, I probably would have gone with the AEV 2.0 lift. The tF one allows me to run 35s in the future though so I don't have to do tires and AEV 3.5 " lift at the same time anymore.

I've installed about a dozen lifts and this one was by far the most painful to install. I also installed the AEV Geometry correction brackets, which was a major PITA trying to get everything to align because the Evo Protek crossmember skid also uses the DS LCA mount. I ended up dropping the skid to get everything to fit. I still have to go back and install the missing pieces when they arrive on next week, as well as cut out the rear spacers' cones, they're interferring with my airbag suspension in the rear.

Overall I think this is a good lift height for the stock tires. 2" rear / 2.5" front. The factory suspension isn't bad with the rear airbags to stiffen it up. And the extra clearance should save my underside some. Here's to hoping this holds me over to until I can get the real deal this December.

CQPyNtuZdweqwRq0wJjD9enNy6URQwfC6v5BzrKMSBUP=w725-h544-no

Halfway done:

7IKr1EjD5U7wqVl6SmkA2b_Ns-L6mDx4VO666abFZMhq=w725-h544-no

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I installed some ARB IPF H4 conversion headlights .... Luckily I bought them for $75 off ebay and was able to sell them for $100 on the forums.

Nice :)

Haha, no worries, I'm sure they'll be good enough for me, given that I'm going to avoid driving in the dark like the plague.

-Dan

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The 2.5" lift is close to how mine sits now. not much difference at all. Looks great. hows the handling with the drop brackets?

heres a shot of mine with the 2/1" leveling kit with 33's. I can't see too much difference....

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
It looks taller in person. I think I'm done doing my own work though. I hate that feeling afterward where you second guess if you tightened everything to spec. My perfectionist side wants to do everything by the book. But that's hard to do when you're laying in the street. I think on going to get a buddy's shop to install the next lift. When I built land cruisers there was a desire to learn how to do my own work. Now I know how to and don't want to.

en480c4

Observer
When I installed the 3 1/2" AEV kit on my JKU, I did it a week before a 1,000 mile road trip. I have a good relationship with my dealer, who does a lot if Mopar and AEV lifts, so I paid them for an hour of labor to put it in the lift and go over everything. They did it 30 minutes, and didn't find anything, but it gave me the piece of mind to be able to enjoy the trip. Money well spent.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
When I installed the 3 1/2" AEV kit on my JKU, I did it a week before a 1,000 mile road trip. I have a good relationship with my dealer, who does a lot if Mopar and AEV lifts, so I paid them for an hour of labor to put it in the lift and go over everything. They did it 30 minutes, and didn't find anything, but it gave me the piece of mind to be able to enjoy the trip. Money well spent.

They installed a lift in 30mins? That's nuts. The key is finding an installer you can trust. Also a raise would help.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
They installed a lift in 30mins? That's nuts. The key is finding an installer you can trust. Also a raise would help.
What he meant was, he installed the lift, and paid the dealer to go over all the work, and make sure it was correct.
That is a really awesome idea. Nothing like a second set of eyes, that has nothing vested to look it over. :beer:
In lieu of that, a paint pen to mark all the fasteners works really well. Torque & mark, then move to next one.

en480c4

Observer
What he meant was, he installed the lift, and paid the dealer to go over all the work, and make sure it was correct.
That is a really awesome idea. Nothing like a second set of eyes, that has nothing vested to look it over. :beer:

This. And thanks. It really was worth the piece of mind. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone doing something slightly beyond their comfort level.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I got under there and tightens everything to spec, and fixed the exhaust rattle and realigning the Protek skid holes. I tried centering the steering wheel by adjusting the draglink and using th AEV procal. I turned it 3/4 turn toward the driver side per the teraflex instructions but it seemed to be the wrong direction.

Does anyone have a process for centering the steering shel that's worked well for them?

JPMONKEY

I got under there and tightens everything to spec, and fixed the exhaust rattle and realigning the Protek skid holes. I tried centering the steering wheel by adjusting the draglink and using th AEV procal. I turned it 3/4 turn toward the driver side per the teraflex instructions but it seemed to be the wrong direction.

Does anyone have a process for centering the steering shel that's worked well for them?

Been following your thread since I too have a Granite Gray JKUR. I like your thought process on upgrades.

Being that I have not crawled under my Jeep to look and I realize I am Taking the lazy way out by asking, but on your exhaust rattle. What part was the culprit? I have the same sound and fixing is on my list to do.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zigsrig

Adventurer

I followed this video.. worked great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMiAkgY8m8

I believe you don't need the ave pro cal for this (or at least, i didn't).

went from wheel being at 10 o'clock, to being damn near 12 o'clock easily.

Roll (away form you if you are under the jeep) to the right, to get the wheel to go the left, pull it towards you.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Been following your thread since I too have a Granite Gray JKUR. I like your thought process on upgrades.

Being that I have not crawled under my Jeep to look and I realize I am Taking the lazy way out by asking, but on your exhaust rattle. What part was the culprit? I have the same sound and fixing is on my list to do.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a heat shield near the DS rear coil spring. I put it on when adding the airbags and it bent during the coil install and was rattling against another piece. Simple solve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94