"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Klaus, I guess we are going to be granite crystal brethren. I am 90 percent done on getting a 14 Willys in GC. Adding all the AEV gear into the payments on the rig. YEY! can't wait. putting the front bumper, rear bumper all the attachments, 2.5xt lift with drop brackets and a few other odds and ends. Then adding a MAX 3 roof rack. I like theirs better than AEV and its 1/2 the price. Plus it has ladders.

Just have to figure out total costs now!

Nice! Send me some pics. What wheels and tires are you going with?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Still working out payments, but I am going with black pintlers and BFG AT. If I keep my mango jeep, (i.e. if they lowball me on trade), I am getting argent Pintlers and BFG ATs. Either way, either jeep will be fully AEV accessorised by June. If I keep mine, I will be ordering my gear in may, If I get the granite Willys the stuff will be ordered next week! ha ha.

Presto88

Adventurer
Klaus, I guess we are going to be granite crystal brethren. I am 90 percent done on getting a 14 Willys in GC. Adding all the AEV gear into the payments on the rig. YEY! can't wait. putting the front bumper, rear bumper all the attachments, 2.5xt lift with drop brackets and a few other odds and ends. Then adding a MAX 3 roof rack. I like theirs better than AEV and its 1/2 the price. Plus it has ladders.

Just have to figure out total costs now!

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you get AEV gear rolled in with your car payments? Is this through your bank or the dealer?

west_ok

Adventurer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426293740.037672.jpg
I was planning on black also but went with the Argent instead, still think the black will look good!

B.J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I'm looking for aren't pintlers. Argent seems to be the only color after market wheel that looks as good as the oem 13+ wheels against granite. Congratulations.

Some of the mopar parts are actually AEV, so you can get them as dealer ad ons.

kojackJKU

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you get AEV gear rolled in with your car payments? Is this through your bank or the dealer?

Dealer. My local Jeep dealer is the AEV dealer as well! score. Max-3 is maximus 3.

The willys has black wheels now, so I think the black will look awesome.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
View attachment 275110
I was planning on black also but went with the Argent instead, still think the black will look good!

B.J.

I'm looking for aren't pintlers. Argent seems to be the only color after market wheel that looks as good as the oem 13+ wheels against granite. Congratulations.

Some of the mopar parts are actually AEV, so you can get them as dealer ad ons.

Have to agree with both of you on this. :beer:
The Argent in any wheel looks smoking hot on the Granite Crystal Wrangler. If it were me buying (thankfully it isn't yet...), it would be a tough decision between the Sevegre (sp?) and the new style AEV wheel, over any of the other non-beadlock wheels.
I love the Pintler 5 spoke design, but it is such a popular wheel that it doesn't have that "stands out" appeal. Awesome to see AEV come out with the new wheel, as it will provide staying power for the Pintler and the Sevegre.

Good luck on your choice Klaus.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I really like the look of my stock wheels. I just think the 7.5" width and 6.25" backspacing make it a little less than ideal to use with 35x12.5s. And I think it might be easier to sell the stock tires and wheels together. That would offset the cost of the AEV wheels potentially.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Makes sense. The only thing you'd need to buy over is the TPMS sensors.
The stock wheels do look really good, and are rare on rigs with lifts and big tires. If I wasn't interested in beadlocks, 1.5" adapters with stock wheels would be an easy choice. I've run them before (non-Jeep application), and am comfortable with them.
On another topic you mentioned earlier:
I'm interested to read what B.J. thinks about the 3.5" lift with the Correction Brackets on his new rig.
Since he's going off road this weekend, I asked in his thread if he could post up his thoughts.
You and I are in total agreement on belly dragging, That's really pushing me to 3.5" of lift with the 35"s, to keep the stock fenders and mud-flaps.
Not sure if I'd go with the AEV lift though, which is why I'm interested in what B.J. thinks.

kojackJKU

I am running 285s, 1.25" spacers and stockers now. Works perfect, no issues in many many miles. I installed them at about 35,000 KMs, and now have 158,000kms on them now. I have no problem using spacers, and I will use them when swapping back to winter tires on my rig.

west_ok

Adventurer
Didn't really get to go anywhere too technical with the Jeep just about 200 miles of relatively easy dirt roads and 1 creek crossing. Part of living in western Oklahoma but it handled the washboard roads quite nicely. I have done some pretty technical stuff in the old Jeep with the correction brackets and they've never been a problem.

I must agree that the stock rims do look nice I've just heard too many horror stories with running spacers but if you're good about doing maintenance on your rig i.e. removing the wheels to check the spacers from time to time I think they would be fine.

B.J.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hey B.J.,

For some reason, I thought your old rig didn't have correction brackets. I definitely failed to pay attention. :elkgrin:
I was interested in your thoughts on brake dive, sway and suspension loading during power braking.
Sounds like a pretty cool trip. Love those easy trails with stunning scenery. Especially if they lead to a good fishing stream, or hiking trail. :)

west_ok

Adventurer
It originally didn't but when I installed new shocks and springs from AEV I got the dreaded Death Wobble after weeks of pick a part (replaced track bar and bolts rotated and balanced) I called AEV they said I needed the geometry correction kit. It had been setting on my shelf in my office for months I just never thought it could cure DW but it did in my case.

Didn't get to do any fishing but got to see some stunning scenery!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426439938.373083.jpg

B.J.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I woke up to some sad news this morning. My 100-Series Land Cruiser's new owner got into an accident with a Camry that failed to yield. Sad to see both of my 100's get totalled in almost the same way. I put a lot of money and work into that truck. Hopefully the new owner can save the mods or repair it. Also good to know that 15 year old airbags still work.

Looks like those Slee bumpers aren't as strong as we all thought. Also, happy to report that everyone walked away unscathed.

But this validates my decision to take another overlanding route. Daily driving a dangerously armored truck that's worth twice it's blue book value is inherently a huge financial and legal liability. That's why the Jeep is going to stay light, with stock-ish bumpers and easily removed modifications.

9QYv8w69fLQoUMdycE5-4kDKU_RaMdwIcWhr-u-Jlrwf=w910-h513-no

qjpiov8Im0GS76oFGU2Y8vFILFPNO25FoK90uuZbOm38=w480-h270-no

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428980052.817276.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles