"Bruce" the 2014 Jeep JKUR Build Thread

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Sorry to jump into this conversation on the 22nd page,

Take care,
R

Welcome to the conversation! Thank you for the thoughts and kind words.

Really wish the AEV bumper had a rack option. If you've ever had one with a soft top vehicle, it is so handy and useful. It's the only reason I've chosen to get the LoD over the AEV.

I've seen people mount racks to the antenna mast before. You could also probably use a tailgate mounted one without worrying about the weight limit as much since you removed 70-100lbs by relocating the spare to the aev mount. It would just require some slight modifying.

AEV really does design for us who are not rock crawling unlike 99 percent of other companies...

I think you would be best served with AEV too KVW!

I totally agree. I don't think I need the rear bumper. But it is the only one I like the aesthetics of. I'm trying ot potentially find a set of their argent pintler wheels used. I've seen them go for about $600 which seems like a deal. And it's the only color aftermarket wheel I've seen that looks good with my Granite colored Jeep.

The only AEV thing I'm not sold on is the front bumper. I like the looks. But I don't like how it closes the fender gap for euro standards. Or the cost of all the add ons. The winch mount and d-ring mounts should come with it for the price. And I've seen people easily dent the 1/8" steel wings. That would be a bummer after spending that much. I like the design, price and features of the ARB stubby. $550 for a winch mount, bull bar, light mounts, hi-lift points, D-ring mounts, SRS compliant, etc. I just wish they made a mid width version. I might try that if I can tolerate the flying fender look.

Apologies to whoever's Jeep this is, but the fenders look a bit silly from this angle.

attachment.php

But it looks pretty cool with 35" MTs from this angle.
arb_stubby_winch_bumper.jpg

Last edited:

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
my AEV front bumper came with the D-ring mounts. It also came with the aux. light mount brackets. I have the basic one without the big tube on the top. You can find it with free shipping too.

The only add on's I did were the winch-delete cover plate, and the winch mounting plate. and the skid plate.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
my AEV front bumper came with the D-ring mounts. It also came with the aux. light mount brackets. I have the basic one without the big tube on the top. You can find it with free shipping too.

The only add on's I did were the winch-delete cover plate, and the winch mounting plate. and the skid plate.

Just like the tire carrier and the lift, I'm sure I'll end up with the AEV when it comes time to pull my wallet out. The ARB only seems to look right with MCE fenders.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have been flip flopping today at the AEV and using My stockers with maximus 3 gear. Both have good and bad points. I am seriously weighing it out. I also think maximus' roof rack is the best design available at the moment.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Just remembered that you have the stock Rubicon, which means, if you kept the stock bumper, and used the Teraflex hinge, you'd have a built in non-potable water storage, if the threads I've seen are correct. Some have written it's almost 10 gallons worth of water...
There is a thread on one of these forums where a guy added an electric water pump. Looked pretty cool.
Something to consider.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Just remembered that you have the stock Rubicon, which means, if you kept the stock bumper, and used the Teraflex hinge, you'd have a built in non-potable water storage, if the threads I've seen are correct. Some have written it's almost 10 gallons worth of water...
There is a thread on one of these forums where a guy added an electric water pump. Looked pretty cool.
Something to consider.

Yeah I've seen those. I can't figure out a good way to add a plug or drain to it since you can't reach the backside. I guess others used epoxy.

kojackJKU

No Cool factor with the stockers tho. plus, you don't get jack points, d ring points and extra protection.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
No Cool factor with the stockers tho. plus, you don't get jack points, d ring points and extra protection.

You could jack from the frame rail. And have the oem tow hook and hitch mounted d ring. I'm less concerned about the rear than the front.

I wonder how often you'd hit the rear bumper with 34" tires 3" lift and that rear angle.

kojackJKU

well, I am on 2" of lift, on 33's so its not a hell of a lot of difference in hight really, and I am after digging my hitch more than a few times in the backcountry. SO yeah, it does happen. I am very careful about line so my trailer hitch takes whatever rocks etc, I don't want to destroy the plastic bumpers. approach and departure angles are what I hit on, not rocks and stuff under the rig. That's why I can most times maneuver the jeep to get any crap to hit my hitch instead of roll over it and hit my bumper. Plus the AEV design looks so great on the JKU.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
well, I am on 2" of lift, on 33's so its not a hell of a lot of difference in hight really, and I am after digging my hitch more than a few times in the backcountry. SO yeah, it does happen. I am very careful about line so my trailer hitch takes whatever rocks etc, I don't want to destroy the plastic bumpers. approach and departure angles are what I hit on, not rocks and stuff under the rig. That's why I can most times maneuver the jeep to get any crap to hit my hitch instead of roll over it and hit my bumper. Plus the AEV design looks so great on the JKU.

The AEV bumper does look good with the tanks. But it only looks like it improves the departure angle on the corners. It still used the oem trailer hitch. I don't care about hitting the plastic bumper. They're essentially free. I think I'm used to dragging *** from the land cruiser wagon. I have the opposite problem, where I scrape the belly on stuff more than I hit bumpers.

kojackJKU

Yeah, I still LOVE it. and it adds a place for a shovel, 10gals of gas, high lift, water, reverse light, and D rings. It all adds up to an awesome package.

kojackJKU

I thought the same thing too. I looked at going with the teraflex hinge, add the vector mount for gas, then teraflex bracket for lift, then a warn Elite for the bumper, I just keep going back to the AEV because of how nice and tidy everything fits together. it just works and looks the best. The REO speedwagon song plays in my head "i can't fight this feeling". ha ha!

kojackJKU

Klaus, I guess we are going to be granite crystal brethren. I am 90 percent done on getting a 14 Willys in GC. Adding all the AEV gear into the payments on the rig. YEY! can't wait. putting the front bumper, rear bumper all the attachments, 2.5xt lift with drop brackets and a few other odds and ends. Then adding a MAX 3 roof rack. I like theirs better than AEV and its 1/2 the price. Plus it has ladders.

Just have to figure out total costs now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz