Brought my 2006 Mitsubishi Montero to a fabricator

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Yeah i dug through a few companies on there as well. I found they will basically sell you anything you ask for without any input from you. I requested measurements and detailed photos, took a while but once i found a company to supply me with the info i requested that's who i stock with.

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
Those skids look great. Trying to design mine out of aluminum, but 6061-T6 is pricey, especially for enough to make a gas tank skid. How heavy was the steel skid?

Ahymen

Regarding the Alibaba purchase...do you have an estimate on the price? I'm assuming it was cheaper than an ARB bumped all in.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Those skids look great. Trying to design mine out of aluminum, but 6061-T6 is pricey, especially for enough to make a gas tank skid. How heavy was the steel skid?

I'd go steel. My skids are rather beat up now. There would be nothing left if they were aluminum. These trucks are low to the ground and if you run trails you will make contact fairly often. I'd guess my steel gas skid is 50lbs. The other skids probably add another 150lbs. But it's the best weight to add... low center of gravity. :)

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
If you want light and durable go with AR400 steel 1/8" more resilient than the ballistic grade AR500 so there won't be as much concern for cracking (the key is clean cut holes and edges). Aluminum is great if you want it to look nice or be stronger than factory plastic, you can also buy 3/8" UHMW plastic sheets from McMaster or your local industrial supplier which will be stronger and slipperier than aluminum. You can form the UHMW in your garage with a heat gun and easily hand drill the bolt holes, counter sink the holes and use flat head hardware or you will have problems with bolts bending.

Then there's good old mild steel, 3/16" is fine for moderate trail use and 1/4" is not quite enough for rock crawling (except under the front diff).

FullMonte

Adventurer
Hey guys! I brought my Montero to a NEW fabricator and he built my rear bumper and rebuilt my skids. I asked him to put in a gas tank and farm Jack holder.
013504bc9c760dd3d954f8aa80233d03.jpg
6ca23da82230eef6154ea200605c6a6b.jpg

Since I tore into my drive axle at Fordyce, he made my gas tank skid plate wider..
e6ee859f6748bd4912b0d3316c2a61d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Dude, that's awesome. Glad your getting all of the Sierra battle wounds all resolved and upgrading to make it more durable.

You still planning to make the trip out here for the expo?

FullMonte

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Yeah Paj! I'm trying to make it to Clay's bday and the Expo! I'll definitely hit you guys up once I cross state lines. :) though my Monte is back in the shop because of a service engine light and hard vibrating while idling.. I hope it ain't anything too serious..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles