Brought my 2006 Mitsubishi Montero to a fabricator

FullMonte

Adventurer
So I found a fabricator in Northern California and I finally got around to seeing him. Big John from www.4x4beast.com was awesome. He was able to fabricate some custom rock sliders, a gas tank skid plate and a wheel extender to fit my 33" Cooper AT3 on the back door. I want to give thanks to the Mitsubishi guys here on this thread for the ideas, especially Cnutco for the wheel extender and Montypower for his awesome build.

Like I said before, Big John was awesome! Very professional, didn't have any bias to him. I found some other places to scoff at Mitsus. He'll also offer a $25 discount if you mention my name.

Now I am currently having problems posting these pics. I tried using tapatalk, but I ended up uploading them up to the website from my comp.

Here are the sliders: I like how it sticks out a bit, gives me more room to stand on to reach my roof. It also gives me super clearance.
20150505_171407.jpg20150506_130201.jpg20150505_172023.jpg

The wheel extender (Thanks again Cnutco!)
20150505_173539.jpg20150506_130210.jpg

and the gas tank skid plate. I attached the pamphlet where I was able to show Big John what I wanted.
20150505_171713.jpg20150505_171722.jpgScreenshot_2015-05-06-13-32-07-1.jpg

Last edited:

FullMonte

Adventurer
should be up now..what a pain lol I tried using tapatalk to put the pics up and then use the computer to type, but there were too many photos.. I don't know how some of these guys like cnutco puts up his pics with such resolution.

jhill15

Explorer
Looks great fullmonte! Sliders are pretty sweet! I like how they will dub as side steps. Thats one reason my wife will never approve sliders...cause she needs the side steps, lol. Did he fab up the rear bumper protection as well?

FullMonte

Adventurer
Thanks Jhill! oh no, the rear bumper was bought from ebay. I'm sure Big John would've just built a whole new rear bumper.

As far as using the sliders as steps, I couldn't find anything like that online, well made for Monteros.

Next is the front bumper, winch and snorkel!

cnutco

Adventurer
Looking good!

My "next mod" list is so long, I'm not sure what to do next...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullMonte

Adventurer
Thanks cnutco! Oh boy, tell me about it... It feels like I'm going at a snail's rate right now. I can't wait to get this bumper and winch on.. Do you use your winch often? I feel like once I get mine on, I could wander deeper into no man's land (since it's just mostly me and sometimes my dogs)

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Nice work on the fabrication!
Great looking sliders. Are they welded on, or bolted.
I've been looking as Asfir skid plates for the gas tank (made of aluminum), but the shipping is insane.
Are your skids steel or alum.? How thick are the plates?

Well done!

FullMonte

Adventurer
Thanks inyo! The sliders are everything I had hoped for. (well for now at least, haven't taken them out yet) but they are bolt on. As far as the skid plates, the gas skid plate is 3/16 steel, and the rest is from Bushskinz.com down in Australia. Montypower got me into them and they are 4 mm thick aluminium.

Here is a pic of the slider being built. uploadfromtaptalk1431221228571.jpg

Here is a pic of the Bushskinz sliders before the gas tank skid plate.uploadfromtaptalk1431221298257.jpg

cnutco

Adventurer
Thanks cnutco! Oh boy, tell me about it... It feels like I'm going at a snail's rate right now. I can't wait to get this bumper and winch on.. Do you use your winch often? I feel like once I get mine on, I could wander deeper into no man's land (since it's just mostly me and sometimes my dogs)

I have used mine from time to time, but it has not been needed as much as I thought. This rig just keeps moving forward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullMonte

Adventurer
Alright, having going through the pain of ordering a front bumper from China, I finally got it on. I'm so glad I didn't start a group buy.. It would've been disastrous..

I had my fabricator basically redo the whole thing because it came from China with no brackets and it didn't fit at all. The fog light casings were too deep and wouldn't fit with windshield fluid reservoir in the way.

Plus, there were no instructions and the brackets! How was I to put this on??

I now know why ARB is the way to go and I know a wise member told me to scrap this idea , but taking this gamble I decided to see this through..

Big John mage it work and was able to incorporate my fog lights!

Here is the bumper I bought from China
07f19b88ee3a85e7e0e753fcf2fbd1fe.jpg

These were the only attachments they expected me to use, look at the precision drilling!
4afa70e87fd773e3abf63907ce9c9a52.jpg

In this picture, I circled where the fog light casing would run into my washer reservoir
b65f965b22732be939cee09a1698b42d.jpg

Big John completely had to redo the bumper
56900d1d1efae201018e4c3e5551f289.jpg

End product
5dee6cd90e4927aa448f26ed45ebeed0.jpg
437eeb3419c9f209f2e3edc099c9ee06.jpg
f48816c16f76926e6ab717e1adc788f8.jpg
5559e1f04e57d2d1acaff8d93436ffa1.jpg
335669c3e1662c343626e113b5e140a8.jpg

Well this was an adventure in its own right. I'm pretty happy how it turned out though, I just hope the bumper and winch holds up when needed.

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Which company did you buy from? The Chinese I ended up working with didn't offer a Gen 3 bumper at all. Good you got it all sorted out, I had much better luck with the company I bought from but that being said i'm going to just make my own bumpers from here on out just because I like the way I do things better. I didn't like how they mounted the tubing to the bumpers either.

cacattack

Observer
Looks great FullMonte! Unfortunate that you had the issues with supplier and mounting, but looks like you got it all straightened out. Certainly looks like it will get the job done! Looks real nice! Wish I had someone that I trusted or knew for fabrication projects.

FullMonte

Adventurer
Which company did you buy from? The Chinese I ended up working with didn't offer a Gen 3 bumper at all. Good you got it all sorted out, I had much better luck with the company I bought from but that being said i'm going to just make my own bumpers from here on out just because I like the way I do things better. I didn't like how they mounted the tubing to the bumpers either.
I just found a bumper off of a company on Alibaba that would sell an individual unit.

Too bad you weren't making Gen 3 bumpers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94