Brophy aluminum folding scissor steps?

MTVR

We are looking for a lightweight set of removable steps, to use for both cab entry (61" high at the door sill) and access to our entry platform / front porch (58" high), for our dog.

So far, the best solution that we can come up with, isn't quite a solution, and it seems unnecessary expensive- Brophy's five-step aluminum folding steps, with two mounting brackets, so that we can move them from the front porch to the cab. They're about $350, and are not designed to go that high.

I called Brophy, and they said they would not make us a custom 6-step model.

Any other ideas?

My wife and I can get up and down using the stock cab steps and grab handles, but the dog cannot make that vertical climb, and I don't want to have to lift her up every time she goes up or down...

Alloy

Torklift might make 6 step.

MTVR

Okay, Torklift makes a six-step unit for about $400 or so, and it's modular, so you can add more steps if needed.

That's still pretty darned expensive...

1000arms

We are looking for a lightweight set of removable steps, to use for both cab entry (61" high at the door sill) and access to our entry platform / front porch (58" high), for our dog. ...
Search for "folding pet ramp". You might find one long enough and cheap enough, and if not, you'll have some ideas for building your own.

MTVR

We're already faced with having to carry a pretty long motorcycle ramp, to bridge the gap between our "drawbridge" rear door (in it's depressed position) and the ground. Even then, the ramp will still be so steep, that we'll have to use an ATV winch to pull the motorcycles up it.

A "dog ramp" long enough to allow comfortable boarding, would have to be massively long. That's why we're looking for steps, not a ramp.

Fatboyz

Observer
Mine aren't folding but my entry door is 48" off the ground. I bought aluminum deck stair stringers and used aluminum extruded stair treads. For me in Canada the stairs you mention in your posts above are close to $600.00 once shipped and with exchange. I hang these ones on the back of my box. Dog has no issue going in and out. I have them pinned to two brackets under the door sill and use spring pin latches to secure them. Takes just a minute to put them on. Also here is a link to similar stringers at Lowes. I used aluminum for everything so it was nice and light.

Attachments

• IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 83

Joe917

Explorer
I would do my best to avoid such a long stair. You should be able to incorporate at least 2 steps inside the vehicle. This will allow you to then use an electric or pneumatically operated step(s). You will quickly get tired of having to set up and remove the long steps, not to mention the lack of hand rail.

Alloy

Try a search for "alternating stairs" or "Lapeyre stairs"

They can be found used or built from plywood
1588863880257.png

MTVR

Mine aren't folding but my entry door is 48" off the ground. I bought aluminum deck stair stringers and used aluminum extruded stair treads. For me in Canada the stairs you mention in your posts above are close to $600.00 once shipped and with exchange. I hang these ones on the back of my box. Dog has no issue going in and out. I have them pinned to two brackets under the door sill and use spring pin latches to secure them. Takes just a minute to put them on. Also here is a link to similar stringers at Lowes. I used aluminum for everything so it was nice and light.

Where did you get the aluminum steps to attach to the stringers?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've used the same set of Brophy's for 20 yrs now. They can be a bit to navigate with uneven levels on the steps. I did have a couple of rivets go and replaced them with bolts. Our boxer navigates them fine but a small dog might have issues.

MTVR

I've used the same set of Brophy's for 20 yrs now. They can be a bit to navigate with uneven levels on the steps. I did have a couple of rivets go and replaced them with bolts. Our boxer navigates them fine but a small dog might have issues.

50+ pound Dalmingo...

Fatboyz

Observer
I would do my best to avoid such a long stair. You should be able to incorporate at least 2 steps inside the vehicle. This will allow you to then use an electric or pneumatically operated step(s). You will quickly get tired of having to set up and remove the long steps, not to mention the lack of hand rail.
Removeable hand rail is on my to do list yet. All the small things sure take time.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
At the stage you are at, Id recommend you look into a slide out stair setup, integrated into the bed.

We certainly love ours, and not just for camper use (y)

48353262032_6f3346c52d_b.jpg

49607306306_10e761cbb8_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles