Bronco Mothership

ABBB

It sure sounds like the starter on ours.

It is fairly disconcerting to be waiting to jump off our gravel road and onto the highway in a vehicle that isn't running.

Understandably so! Sounds like it’s worth testing elsewhere at some length to gain (or not) confidence in its ability and timing.

jmodz

It should be possible to permanently turn it off by plugging something into the 4 or 7 pin connector, like an accessory brake light. The vehicle then thinks you are towing and turns off auto start/stop. I can’t say if this works on the newer vehicles but it worked on my 17 F150. The only downside was the screen in the instrument cluster always booted up to the towing screen, which was semi annoying.

85_Ranger4x4

Understandably so! Sounds like it’s worth testing elsewhere at some length to gain (or not) confidence in its ability and timing.

On the one hand I daily drive a freaking 2002 so I am never really going to get used to it. I won't drive it much.

If she gets used to I just have to remember to hit the button when I drive it.

It should be possible to permanently turn it off by plugging something into the 4 or 7 pin connector, like an accessory brake light. The vehicle then thinks you are towing and turns off auto start/stop. I can’t say if this works on the newer vehicles but it worked on my 17 F150. The only downside was the screen in the instrument cluster always booted up to the towing screen, which was semi annoying.

It makes it think you are towing and will mess with the service intervals.

Last edited:

Jupiter58

It sure sounds like the starter on ours.

It is fairly disconcerting to be waiting to jump off our gravel road and onto the highway in a vehicle that isn't running.

I have no idea which vehicle or engine you have so I can’t say. Easy enough for you to look it up or look up a way to turn it off.
Do you have a button on yours?
I believe they sell eliminators cheap that just turns the button each time you start the vehicle so you don’t have to.

I am not sure why yours is not running. Mine is running as soon as I start to release the brake. It has never been not running by the time I step on the gas.
It has never had any impact on me taking off any way I want.
I may start pressing the button just to see if it has any affect on my mileage or well being!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

I have no idea which vehicle or engine you have so I can’t say. Easy enough for you to look it up or look up a way to turn it off.
Do you have a button on yours?

I have no idea how you don't know any of these things. Vehicle model is in the thread title. Engine displacement is the third line of the vehicle specs on the first post of the thread. Button to kill the start stop funny business is mentioned throughout the thread.

Anyway, I got the receiver installed tonight:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Glad to see you have it, particularly interesting to me as I ordered a 4dr black diamond with a hard top.

They sell an auto stop/start eliminator for about $100 I believe for these. it just plugs inline between the factory harness and the button.

It doesnt actually eliminate the stop/start but it does remember if it was on or off.

So if you had it off last time you drove it, it will stay that way forever until you turn it on again

Jupiter58

I have no idea how you don't know any of these things. Vehicle model is in the thread title. Engine displacement is the third line of the vehicle specs on the first post of the thread. Button to kill the start stop funny business is mentioned throughout the thread.

Anyway, I got the receiver installed tonight:

DoH! I forgot you were the op! I didn’t understand ford ESS completely when I first got mine either. Is your motor truly not running by the time you step on the gas? You should take it back to the dealer to find the issue if that is the case as you should never be ready to pull into traffic and the motor be off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

How do you like the 2.3? How’s the fuel economy?

Power is great, really have no use for more.

Fuel economy is about as advertised. It was running a hair over 18mpg on the counter before we drove it out to Lincoln over the weekend. A little city driving plus running 80mph on I80 beat it down to 17.1

AFAIK the mpg counter deal has never been reset though. Haven't manually figured it and in remote start season it isn't going to be super scientific anyway.

DoH! I forgot you were the op! I didn’t understand ford ESS completely when I first got mine either. Is your motor truly not running by the time you step on the gas? You should take it back to the dealer to find the issue if that is the case as you should never be ready to pull into traffic and the motor be off.

Yeah, I know how it is supposed to work and it works like it is supposed to.

And I will probably never get used to it because I hardly drive it.

For the most part it is kind of a joke at best for us, I have two stop signs on my daily commute, she has one. Generally it shuts off right before I can go so it is a nice wasted effort at best. We had it in Omaha and yeah, usually it shuts off just so it can start up again 5sec later.

I have been trying to give it a chance and so far have found few redeeming qualities for the ESS.

Anyway, better picture of the hitch:

Had a cruise night saturday night for our car club so we drove both for the fun of it.

And I finished getting the ditch lights installed last night:

phsycle

Adventurer
Ford doesn’t use the starter, at least not for some of their newer eb’s. My 3.5 has the computer figure out which piston is in the best position and fires that to start the motor.

That’s incorrect. It definitely uses the starter.

jbaucom

Turning off ESS on my F150 is second nature now - it's just part of the startup procedure. Start the truck, hit the button, buckle-up, plug in my phone, and go. If I forget to hit the button to turn off ESS then I remember at the first stop sign. It's not supposed to shut off if you have the front wheels turned, but if you do what you're supposed to while you wait to turn left, the wheels will be straight ahead so you don't get knocked into oncoming traffic if you get rear-ended and the ESS kills the engine. In heavy traffic that very slight delay when the engine restarts has been the difference between an easy left turn and cutting it uncomfortably close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles