Bronco Killer: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 470HP 392 CONFIRMED for 2021 Q1 sales.

ratled

Adventurer
Article #1
Back in July, Jeep confirmed that the 6.4-liter V-8 Wrangler Rubicon 392 Concept was definitely a thing—but today we got our first video, and it confirms the news that the marque has been hinting at: We’re going to be getting a production Jeep Wrangler with a V8 engine, and it’s going to be available to buy in 2021.

We were skeptical about this in the past, especially because it was loaded with that big word: concept. There’s nothing worse than a teaser for a cool machine that’s never going to come to fruition. But this is the real deal. This is production.

Jeep posted its most recent video on Instagram. It’s short, but you can just hear the growl of the engine as it accelerates through the desert. That noise is unmistakable, and it’s not one you’ve ever heard in a production Jeep before.

Article #2
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392: The V-8 Revival

For the first time in almost 40 years, and against all prior resistance to a factory V-8 under the hood, the 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 is the most high-performance production Jeep Wrangler ever. Powered by a 6.4-liter naturally aspirated Hemi engine mated to a TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission, the 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 392 can hustle to 60 mph in just 4.5 seconds and run the quarter-mile in 13 seconds. Promising better off-road capability, Jeep says 75 percent of peak torque is available right above engine idle speed.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392: The Most Capable And Quickest Wrangler

Besides stirring the pot with its 470-hp V-8 and a rapid-shifting TorqueFlite transmission, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon also employs a Selec-Trac full-time transfer case. The torque-converter lockup control, heavy-duty widetrack Dana 44 axles, a 2-inch lift, standard 17-inch beadlock-capable wheels wrapped in 33-inch tires, and a 3.73 final-drive ratio make the Wrangler Rubicon 392 a Trail Rated 4x4.

With an improved suspension and 10.3 inches of ground clearance, approach, breakover, and departure angles are as follows: 44.5, 22.6, and 37.5 degrees, respectively. Jeep says the 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 392 can climb up and down steep grades with the slightest throttle and brake input; thanks to Selec-Trac working full-time, power is sent to all four wheels around the clock, and the active transfer case has a 2.72 low-range gear ratio.

Two benefits of the two-speed transfer case are constant power to the front and rear wheels, which the driver can set and forget about, and the fact it allows the 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 to be flat-towed.

Morgan Weafer

I see this 392 becoming a great platform as a camper. The excess toque and horsepower will be appreciated when the vehicle is at max gvwr. The fuel economy has never be stellar for wrangler. So getting more performance and similar mpg as V6 models is an easy compromise. It’s been said before that we have entered a new golden age for 4WD and Overlanding. The market is on track to grow from ever increasing competition. I think we should all welcome it.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Cool for what it is, an overlander it is not.

No one complains about too much power, but do complain about lack of range. My truck gets worse mpg, but I have 3000 lbs payload. I carry 320L of fuel for extended bush trips. The Jeep won't have the payload/ space.

Zeep

Adventurer
Unfortunately, it looks like a V8 will only be made available in Rubicon trim. I would love to see 5.9 in all trim levels.
Will have to wait and see. I've been excited that Ford re-introduced the Bronco, because the competition to the Wrangler,
will make all of the segment vehicles better for consumers!

rnArmy

Adventurer
I never thought I'd see people complaining about too much HP in their Wrangler. People spend a ton of money to swap out their factory V-6 engines for a more powerful V-8, and now the factory is offering it as an option. No more having to worry about computers talking to each other, or "making it work", etc.

I don't know how much of a premium it will cost over the V-6, but I'm sure it is a lot cheaper than trying to swap in a Hemi into whatever Wrangler you're driving now. As for range, there are all sorts of options for carrying extra fuel. I don't drive my Jeep (2.5/five-speed, 4.88 gears, 33" tires) for the MPG (figure 15 MPG).

(what is the MPG estimates for the V-6 and this V-8 engine?)

Snow.2.jpg

RoyJ

Adventurer
I never thought I'd see people complaining about too much HP in their Wrangler.

If money was no subject (but we'd all be on Learjetportal instead...), I'm sure no one would complain. Hell (pun intended), give me a Hellcat JL.

But given the context of this forum - overland travel, I think the money can be better invested elsewhere. Tommy @ TFLT estimates $60 - $70k.

On long off grid travels, 470 hp, and the need to find premium, is more a liability than advantage. As strictly a recreation day trip off roader, especially dune running? Hell yeah this Jeep would be amazing!

I love my go-fast toys, but when I'm 230 kms from the nearest town, I take reliability and durability over 4.5s 0-60.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Cool toy.

Dodge/Jeep have been making wild, special rides for awhile: Power Wagon, Hellcat, and Rubicon. I have owned nearly all of them--and while they are very cool, niche vehicles, their build quality and reliability--from my personal experience in dealing with five of their products, it's just not there. YMMV...

sourdoughben

I’m sure it’s got differt axles, transfer case and trans.
I read the axle housings are beefed up D44’s with 3.73 gears and CVC joints. Transmission (auto only) and transferase with have higher gears , no Rubi 4 to1 T.C. I have heard said MPG and high speed handling is why 33” tires. My guess is the 392 will average 14/15 at best based on my JLR. I get 16/17 average MPG in my 3.6 with 37’s. I carry two 2.5 Rotopax on the tailgate because I wheel with JLU’s mostly and they have 21 gals. vs my JL’s 18. Out here in the West, slow rocky trails eat up a lot of fuel and there is a lot of wide open space between fuel stops.
JLR w new shoes.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles