Bronco Killer: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 470HP 392 CONFIRMED for 2021 Q1 sales.

sourdoughben

I’m sure it’s got differt axles, transfer case and trans.
I read the axle housings are beefed up D44’s with 3.73 gears and CVC joints. Transmission (auto only) and transferase with have higher gears , no Rubi 4 to1 T.C. I have heard said MPG and high speed handling is why 33” tires. My guess is the 392 will average 14/15 at best based on my JLR. I get 16/17 average MPG in my 3.6 with 37’s. I carry two 2.5 Rotopax on the tailgate because I wheel with JLU’s mostly and they have 21 gals. vs my JL’s 18. Out here in the West, slow rocky trails eat up a lot of fuel and there is a lot of wide open space between fuel stops.
JLR w new shoes.jpg

Jnich77

Director of Adventure Management Operations
Thats cute...a 2.7 with still out preform it on a trail. A 2.7 with a tune and down pipe will probably embarrass the Hemi on the pavement.

Also... The 2.7 will run on 87 octane all day long.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
FCA is having a huge problem with MPG. They are runnning out of Tesla carbon credits and its cost them a fortune. FCA took to long jumping on the electric car bandwagon, and now they are in trouble. It will be a awesome Jeep, but very limited. During the dealer meeting, they are begging and paying dealers very well to push the Hybrid Pacifica, which is the biggest POS they have ever made.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Way to go Jeep. I won't be able to afford it but good to Jeep for producing it.

An just hilarious you Ford guys here trying to already downplay this vehicle or point out made up negative things about it and/or Jeep
. Love it!

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I think it is great that Jeep is offering this as an option on the 2021 Wrangler. Anything to keep the Wrangler sales up, and keeping the Wrangler "Pure" (by "pure" I mean boxy, tall, body on frame, and two solid axles). This new V-8 offering is a good thing for us Overlanders.

So if you wanna hotrod Wrangler, get the V-8. If you want adequate power and extended range for overlanding, stick with the V-6. Too easy.

I want the V-8, but I want it in a new Dodge Power Wagon (which is essentially a light duty 3/4 ton four-door truck Rubicon). Since I can't afford a new Jeep or Truck anytime soon (nor later...), I'll have to stick with what I've got.

2000LJ

Observer
I’m going to chime in at the risk of being flamed....
I own a Brute with a 392 hemi, and have for a number of years. It has 40s and 1 tons and goes camping all the time with the flippac on the back.

The power is outstanding, and totally excessive for overlanding, however so are the tires and axles. The mpg is not good, in fact this is my biggest issue with the vehicle. I will be installing a aux tank some day for range anxiety.

This vehicle does what “I” (and my family) want, It is not for everyone. It is my personal vehicle and built to take on stupid trails solo, and not worry about breaking something and yet, still go camping. If I had the ability to travel globally I would not own this vehicle and honestly would prefer to own a 3.0 crd in this truck, regardless. (I like diesel tho)

My point with all of this is...... to each their own. Jeep sees a market of “mall crawlers” or otherwise they can sell the 392 to, so good on them. I am happy with my 392 but it is not for everyone or even every trip. I have one truck outside work and I want to to do everything well. “The master of all, but expert at none” approach, and the 392 helps in this, even with its shortfalls.

Cheers

burbinkojack

Ford is killing the bronco all by themselves with the 7995 sasquatch option. I was looking at getting one, however, 8g CDN for a set of 35s, fenders and a mini lift....NAH. I will keep my unlimited and spend 2g and have a more capable rig.

Recommended books for Overlanding

999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose Me
by Dan Grec, Dan Grec
From $19.62
The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United Stat...
by TeriAnn Wakeman
From $64.95
Motorcycle Messengers 2: Tales from the Road by Writers w...
by Jeremy Kroeker, Ted Simon, Lois Pryce, Billy Ward,...
From $9.99

Shovel

Dreaming Ape
Ford is killing the bronco all by themselves with the 7995 sasquatch option. I was looking at getting one, however, 8g CDN for a set of 35s, fenders and a mini lift....NAH. I will keep my unlimited and spend 2g and have a more capable rig.
35's, fancy wheels, 4.7:1 differentials, lockers at both ends, fancy Bilsteins* plus the fender clearance & lift for the 35's for $8000CAD sounds like it's less than market value for those if you added them to a base model Wrangler... and here you can finance them into the purchase and they're covered by the factory warranty and they don't affect insurability (and if your vehicle is written off, insurance covers the whole thing)

*the Bilsteins are apparently a new design that passively (not through electronics or magnets or whatever) provides a position variable damping. In plain English as far as I can tell it looks like it lets them have Bilstein's usual sporty damping curve, stiff for low velocity stuff and soft for high velocity stuff... but then get stiff again at the ends of travel.

In slightly more nerdy terms that means first digressive but then progressive at the end of travel at both top and bottom. And it's all in the shock so presumably that would be a product they could sell for any vehicle including a 70's Bronco.

Last edited:

cobro92

You’ll save money going to bigger wheels and tires yourself but that aftermarket work you did will basically void a lot of the warranty. I think one important selling point of the Sasquatch package is that it’s from the factory and warrantied by Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk