Broken bracket

Tstege83

My friends have a really nice condition 2006 and they took it to the dealer in El Paso. They just had new airbags installed to fix what they thought was the problem on the rear end. It appears to bow the bracket that the airbag hits or bump stop would normally hit has completely been crushed. In my opinion this should be a simple grind the old one off get a new one welded on fix? The dealer of course wants them to completely replace the rear end with a new one. They are feeling frustrated and wanting to just sell it to them as is. I am telling them to take it to a suspension shop and get new brackets welded on. Anyone have suggestions? What are those brackets called? The dealer wants $3000 for a new rear end. That in my opinion is a rip off. The vehicle is pristine and they just want to fix it and sell it. One picture is good one is crushed.

Tstege83

Good and bracket

Attachments

• 6BC8483D-25B0-46EC-893A-0C5A634B168E.jpeg
    6BC8483D-25B0-46EC-893A-0C5A634B168E.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 38
  • F2109CFB-5A1C-4907-8856-CF083EEB3639.jpeg
    F2109CFB-5A1C-4907-8856-CF083EEB3639.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 39

nely

Adventurer
Most dealers will not weld on the rear axle to replace that bracket. They will usually only replace which your friend has found out.

I agree with you and would take it to a suspension or welding shop and have them install a different bracket. A factor bracket would be hard to find unless it’s used and cut off an axle.

Possibly aftermarket universal air bag bracket would work. If your going aftermarket bracket, might as well replace both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tstege83

Most dealers will not weld on the rear axle to replace that bracket. They will usually only replace which your friend has found out.

I agree with you and would take it to a suspension or welding shop and have them install a different bracket. A factor bracket would be hard to find unless it’s used and cut off an axle.

Possibly aftermarket universal air bag bracket would work. If your going aftermarket bracket, might as well replace both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok thanks for the info. Looks like lots of folks just take the airbags off and do a coil conversion. Found a kit for $380 all bolt on. That might be the way we end up going.

dierkz

Ok thanks for the info. Looks like lots of folks just take the airbags off and do a coil conversion. Found a kit for $380 all bolt on. That might be the way we end up going.
Sounds like a better solution. My buddy's incoming GS 470 project seems to have the same issue as described by the current owner. We'll just finish installing the exhaust from 4Wheelonline onto the current Silverado project before we can take a closer look at it. Appreciate it if you update us.

Kolockum

Adventure Nut
If the stock ones have collapsed once they probably will collapse again. Should not be a big issue to weld new ones one or go the bolt on kit route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles