British Columbia Circle Route

RedDog

Explorer
Abraham Lake? So you went right through here. I would have bought you a beer.

Great report and photos.

August

Observer
RedDog said:
Abraham Lake? So you went right through here. I would have bought you a beer.

Great report and photos.
Thanks.

Yah I decided to take a route I hadn't been on before so I left Edmonton and went through Drayton Valley, Rocky Mountain House then over to the Icefields Parkway.

I hear that Rocky Mountain House has some good backroads from the Jeep Jamboree and Rocky Mountain Rally crowds but I didn't really have time to explore. Next time.

RedDog

Explorer
August said:
Thanks.

Yah I decided to take a route I hadn't been on before so I left Edmonton and went through Drayton Valley, Rocky Mountain House then over to the Icefields Parkway.

I hear that Rocky Mountain House has some good backroads from the Jeep Jamboree and Rocky Mountain Rally crowds but I didn't really have time to explore. Next time.

That would be Prairie Creek in the Rocky area - southwest on 752 past Cow Lake. Great trails and means to wind up on the Forestry Trunk Road which can take you all the way down to the Crows Nest Pass near the US border.

There are also some interesting little hide-a-ways around Cline River in the Abraham Lake area.

Next time.

digitaldelay

Explorer
August said:
1) I didn't do a whole lot of driving at night but I definitely need to upgrade my headlight bulbs.

Hi August:

Try the GE Nighthawk bulbs. They are truly brighter, without the fake HID / blue tint of bulbs like the Sylvania Silverstar, which actually transmit less light.

I, too, have 9007 bulbs in my Saturn ION, and found the headlamps to be very weak. I thought this was due to poor reflector optics. Your comment, however makes me wonder if this is an inherent limitation of any headlamp using a 9007 bulb.

At least you can mount a light bar and a quality set of driving lights on your Xterra. Try that on an ION. :(

timaus13

Observer
Big Thankyou

Big thankyou for taking the time to share ure trip.
Magnificent pic,s.
cheers Mate
:smiley_drive:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Day 1 Vancouver to Qualicum Beach (Vancouver Island).

01_G.jpg

Ferry from Horseshoe Bay (Vancouver) to Departure Bay (Nanaimo)

02_G.jpg

03_G.jpg

So long Vancouver!

04_G.jpg

Wakeboarding in Qualicum Beach

Was the wake borading behind the ferry? :jump:

paulj

Expedition Leader
One Vancouver Island ferry run, the one from Tsawwassen to Duke Pt, crosses the outflow of the Fraser River, in a WNW direction. One trip it was quite obvious when we left that flow. The transition from silty river water to the clearer waters of Strait of Georgia was quite sharp. By then we must have been 1/3 to 1/2 of the way across.

Bcghosttowns

Adventurer
Looks like a nice trip.Also looks as if you rolled right through Princeton,I also would have bought you a beer if i had known.
I am hopeing to do a similiar trip this fall with less west coast and alberta and more northern BC.

Skratch

Wow I have a lot to look forward to here in the next few weeks.
I'll be doing a lot of the same route on my way up to Anchorage, the Alcan Highway at least.

I wish I had the time and funds to install a better radio, for now I'll just have to suffice with my CB and Cell.
I know all about the lighting issue, all I do is run at night so I have already upgraded my headlights. I will be installing my Hella 550 drivers and my Rally 4000 euro beams all with 100w bulbs here on Tuesday. I plan on being able to see at night . . .though hopefully I will get enough daylight to take some good shots like you shared.

August

Observer
Looks like a nice trip.Also looks as if you rolled right through Princeton,I also would have bought you a beer if i had known.
I am hopeing to do a similiar trip this fall with less west coast and alberta and more northern BC.
Yeah, I was visiting a friend at his RV spot in Osoyoos.

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
The ferry is 456' with 11,840 hp.

I believe the target speed for ferries is around 20 knots. BC did try some faster catamaran ferries, but they were a fiasco. Even Washington dropped its fast passenger boats because of wake problems in narrow channels.

August

Observer
I believe the target speed for ferries is around 20 knots. BC did try some faster catamaran ferries, but they were a fiasco. Even Washington dropped its fast passenger boats because of wake problems in narrow channels.
Yup, long story short, the BC NDP Government had three aluminum catamaran ferries built in the early 1990s. They were budgeted for $210 million ($70 million each), ended up costing $460 million ($153 million each), then were sold to the Washington Marine Group for $19.4 million ($6.5 million each). You do the math. They were also dropped because of its wake problems.

August

Observer
ok so what do you do for a living? lol....
I'm a civil engineering technologist working at a small private consulting firm that collects hydrometric data for the BC Government, BC Hydro and other small hydro companies. The work takes me all over BC's backcountry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94