Bringing Back a 2008 FJ TTSE

DanCooper

Adventurer
I've been pulling my Sawtooth XL (see the build link in signature below) with my 2008 Subaru Outback LL Bean 3.0R. While the Outback is up to it, the trailer makes the brakes work a little too hard, and the engine will heat up on uphill grades. So when I spied this bad boy on Craigs List in Fairbanks for only $5K with all parts necessary for repair and paint included, I decided to go take a look.

01414_cuS0PfAfiku_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_7gkWeiiFdRl_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_9jMaaCSA4xk_1200x900.jpg

It was a salvage, and after looking it over and letting it run a bit, I decided to tackle it.

With a $25 trip permit, I drove it to my son's home and started by getting rid of the doors. What should have been an hour project turned into more than that of course, as the right passenger door was locked shut by the accident. After peeling down the skin, I was able to unlock it, and the fun began.

IMG_7823.JPG

IMG_7829.JPG

The fender came off after learning about the various types (three) of plastic fasteners holding the fender structure (all four pieces) together. In other words, an hour and a half.

The "new doors went on easily, but only after I drove it to the windshield shop (Badger Glass, $275 installed) and had a new battery installed at Alaska Battery. Then we hung the doors.

IMG_7836.JPG

In looking at the fender, I realized the inner fender was a little crinkled. I thought, Heck, I can straighten that! I couldn't, so I drove it back to Anchorage (another $25 trip permit) to start ordering parts.

IMG_7841.JPG

The truck ran great. All electrical accessories seem to be working, i.e. mirrors, windows, door locks, auto start, and wipers. I did have to replace the LED headlight bulbs, because, (a) one didn't work, and (b) they were the wrong bulb. I am also missing the bulb socket for the right front marker/signal light. That is the only piece keeping me from being able to re-title it as a reconstructed vehicle. It's on order, so perhaps later this week I can get it titled and insured and start driving it.

DanCooper

Adventurer
I suppose I should have written a bit more about what I plan to do with this machine. A full restoration is not what I have in mind. I know there were only 3200 TTSEs manufactured for the 2008 production run, but there are some things I don't think are necessary to restore, such as the OEM radio, the OEM shift knobs (although they are pretty), and so on. Moreover, while this machine is very capable as is, there are some niceties, such as USB ports and Nav aids that were left out. It was, after all, 2008, and Bluetooth didn't arrive in OEM models until the following year, or thereabouts. So it will be a resto with minor mods.

The purpose is to be first, a daily driver, second, a tow vehicle for my Sawtooth XL, and third, a Zombie Response Vehicle. The plan of attack is this:

Phase I: get all the parts necessary to meet title/registration requirements and install them so I can get it back on the road. I think I have them all ordered, and they should start arriving soon. Try to get the exterior parts all one color. Except for the hood, it is getting a matte black vinyl wrap. Another non-OEM alteration.

Phase II: get the interior habitable. As shown in the photos below, it suffers from a lack of cleanliness. As you no doubt know, interior cleanliness is next to Godliness particularly in these machines because when you open the door and step out, you are often in places where God has left His nature raw, and covered with snow and dirt and mud and rocks. So I start clean, get dirty, then clean again Right now, my wife says the interior smells like vomit. I didn't notice. My bad.

Phase III: install the trailer towing wiring and my usual upgrades to provide an extra (6 gauge) source of power to the rear bumper.

Phase IV: upgrade the interior bit by bit. Wet Okole seat covers for the front seats. Replace the switch panel with OEM panel. Replace the center dash panel with OEM panel. Install a digital head unit with Apple Play and blue tooth and maybe even a simple NAv unit for street navigation (I am so freaking lazy these days, I look up everywhere I go. A bonus is my spousal unit no longer complains about me getting lost and not asking for directions).

Phase V (which is really concurrent with all other phases): Identify and address any mechanical issues that I encounter. I want to look hard at the suspension and make sure the replacement shocks are the same caliber as the OEM shocks for the TTSE. I may open up the air a bit with an AEM cold air intake, or I may snorkle it with a dirt catcher. Lots of dirty dusty roads here.

I'm always open to advice, although I may not follow it. I will certainly consider it. My last Toyota was a very sweet little 1991 truck. The FJ Cruiser is all new to me, so I am feeling my way.

DanCooper

Adventurer
After spending the entire Memorial Day weekend cleaning the interior, and ordering parts that need replacement from here and there, I headed back to Fairbanks to pick up and install the new hood and to spend the night at Denali National Park's Riley Creek Campground. It was the first camping trip of the year with the Sawtooth, and inevitably I failed to bring all the "necessaries." For instance, I failed to remember that a tablecloth for the picnic table was deemed necessary. I know exactly where it is of course: in a camping box that I have not opened since last summer's end. Just a few photos, and then I hope to have more next week of the reinstalled interior.

IMG_7853_Fotor.jpg

IMG_7861_Fotor.jpg

And our Guard Dog, enjoying her down comforter.

IMG_7858_Fotor.jpg

DanCooper

Adventurer
Looks like a good deal. Are you planning to add a lift kit?

I think I will add a smallish lift in the 2"-3" range, but not for awhile. I'm still sorting through the cosmetics right now. And I really need to understand more about the suspension on these rigs. The ride I have now is very smooth and comfortable. I'm a bit reluctant to make a change until I understand any effect the change will have. I know I am going to need to replace tires fairly soon.

I hope to get the hood today so I can get that on and the old one off to the dump.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Can someone please tell me what I am looking at below? Isn't this where the dead man pedal or foot rest goes? What is the black button's use? The white nylon post's use? And what goes in the hole? Any help is appreciated!

IMG_7886_Fotor.jpg

DanCooper

Adventurer
Hood is on:

IMG_7887_Fotor.jpg

I will install the faux scoop after I pick up a few plastic clips tomorrow. Should I leave it white or wrap it in vinyl too?

DanCooper

Adventurer
Playing with the center console, installed a cheap voltmeter to keep an eye on things and a USB port because it seems that everyone needs their own port. The shiny round thing is a filler for now. I may move my missile launch switch to that space. Why a missile launcher? Motorhomes. Wherever they go, they always have their left turn signal on.

IMG_7888_Fotor.jpg

IMG_7889_Fotor.jpg

DanCooper

Adventurer
I pulled 6 gauge wire to the rear and installed an Anderson plug so I can charge the battery in the trailer as I drive. The trailer battery is isolated with a Blue Sea ACR t avoid draining the FJ battery. The positive cable is fused at the FJ battery terminal with a post fuse at 30 amps. Plans for the remainder of the week and weekend are to mount the RotoPax fuel can and MaxTrax ramps on or in the rooftop cargo rack. Also to mount the ARB 2500 canopy on the roof rack if I can figure out a way to do so. I ordered some billet clamps from an e-store in California, but they canceled the order and refunded my money with no explanation. I thought it weird, but it's not the most unusual thing that has happened this month. Pictures later after I have something to show for the work.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I think you got a sweet deal, it will serve you well.

Might wanna throw a transmission cooler on it, not a huge deal for a trailer that small but it can't hurt.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Yeah there is a dead pedal there. Not sure what the black button thing is though.

Turns out that black button holds on the cover for the side panel below the dash. I'm trying to find a dead pedal for that spot. Thanks for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it, as what I know about the FJ will not fill a coffee cup.

DanCooper

Adventurer
How many miles were on this thing when you picked it up? Looked pretty good outside of the damage.

It had 162,00 miles. The interior was pretty rough, and missing/broken panels in the rear interior quarter panels, but those are simple fixes. All of the other body panels are straight and with minimal damage. A nice "patina" as it were. . .

DanCooper

Adventurer
In keeping with the "Expedition" principle of this forum, I mounted the MaxTrax on the roof rack (between rain showers):

The mounting "plate" I made for my Subaru installed on the FJ . . .

IMG_7921.JPG

I treated it with Clear Penetrating Epok=xy Sealant to waterproof it then painted it. Here are the MaxTrax mounted:

IMG_7922.JPG

Whenever I have crossed a border with these on my Subaru, the inspector always asks "What are those orange things mounted on your roof?" If I'm feeling lucky I tell them they are just there to help me find the car in a parking lot. If I don't want to go through secondary inspection, I tell them "Sand ramps."

As everyone knows, 19 gallons is not enough, so I put a Rotopax mount on the roof for 4 gallons of gas. Yes, I know, putting gas on the roof is considered by many to be a bad thing. I prefer it on the roof to mounting it on the side or the rear where it can take a direct hit. You make your pick and you take your chances.

IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7925.JPG

Starting to look more like an "Expedition" vehicle now.

IMG_7929.JPG

Next, I'm going to tackle putting on the ARB awning I bought. That will take some time, I'm sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles