Bring One Back?

K.C.

Wanderer
So here's my problem, I am Air Force stationed in England, I've got a little under a year left here and am toying with the notion of buying an early Defender or a Series truck to bring back to the states with me. I'm just kinda looking for hints, tips, something special to look for, or just talk me into or out of this insane undertaking! Any info, tips, stories or whatever is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
If it were me.....and I really wanted one...........

speak toyour local independant landrover mechanic,,,,,

the shipping etc is pretty straight forward.

buying a non rusty one will be an issue, but they do exist.

Then think along the lines of the average brit wants a new car chassis, you want an old chassis vin.

Back dating a wrecked or parted out chasis vehicles vin is a tad under the polices view right now in the UK

ie why make your truck worth less.....

You can probably pick up a chassis and vin for under $500 usd, and downgrade any vehicle you want.

You will be not against the law in the UK as such

and when imported it becomes US legal, they trust the UK documentation.

You will be shortley seeing many young landrovers with old vins entering the US

RBBailey

Observer
If you are talking about a Series or Pre-1985 90 or 110, you are talking about merely finding a clean one, getting it properly prepped for shipping, filling out the paper work, paying the fee and you can drive it right away from the shipping dock when you get back in the U.S.

If you are talking about a gray market 110 or 90, you will need to look at the exceptions listed in the importation laws for military -- and I think there are some.

I know people who have imported clean Series trucks and parts with very little trouble at all. And I personally looked into a pre-84 importation to the point where I had talked to Customs on the phone and had an email from them with confirmation as to how easy it is, and a three or four page document to fill the blanks in on. They had reviewed my specific case, and were very supportive.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
spend your time off in Spain, Germany, etc looking for a rust free LHD. While the rhd are fun, the resale is almost 50% better on lhd trucks- might as well maximize your investment, and definately go diesel. See post above, newest truck on oldest plate is way to go, and lots cheaper there than here to get 'restored'. Best of luck!!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
AF's dime?

The Gov't will ship one vehicle for you for free correct?

I say the above is great advice, spend some time off and search out the best LHD legal truck, bring in home...

Heck, use a little leave time and do a fun loop before you deliver it to the shipping port!

If you decide you want something else stateside, I bet you make a profit when you sell....

good luck!

czenkov

Adventurer
Contact PA Blanchard and have them do up a nice 110 for you. LHD, soft-top, 5 door, 3 door, whatever you want.

Seems to be they are well done and "reasonably" priced. What is your intent with the truck - flip it when you get back or keep for yourself?

So here's my problem, I am Air Force stationed in England, I've got a little under a year left here and am toying with the notion of buying an early Defender or a Series truck to bring back to the states with me. I'm just kinda looking for hints, tips, something special to look for, or just talk me into or out of this insane undertaking! Any info, tips, stories or whatever is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I was in your same boat 3 years ago. I had guy say I could have his 110, it didnt have an engine.. and I wasnt sure on the import laws, and someone told me I'd need to get the right engine or else they wouldnt let me import it.

I bought a TJ instead...

Wish I'd have figured out how to get it over here.

good luck to you.

ps you stationed at lakenheath or mildenhall? or that other base

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
The best advice I can give is the advice I ignored:
Buy the best Land Rover you can afford.​

If it were me, I'd buy the cleanest diesel 110 I could- paying particular attention to the steel parts (bulkhead, frame...). You might look for larger parts like roll cages or Dormobile conversions, since they will be harder to find in the states and therefore much more expensive to source/ship. Have your paperwork nailed down well in advance, and plan on shipping the vehicle months before you leave so you can take care of any issues before you have to leave the island.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Some good advice here. Happy to walk you through it if you want. The best trucks I have imported have come from Spain,Italy, and France. LHD rust free trucks are prevalent in those countrys. German trucks tend to be just as rusty as UK trucks- they use a lot of salt in Germany. Usually works out to be cheaper to have them moved to Southampton to ship them. There are no special Military allowances other than a possible free transport and no import duty for active duty. Happy to point you to a Land Rover repair shop owner friend in France who finds these in Spain and Italy. He's in Burgundy and is a brit, so easy to communicate with.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke