Brian894x4’s Land Cruiser FZJ80 build thread.

alia176

Explorer
hoser said:
I have a couple of these that I might make into cargo net. They are very strong. I just have to figure out a way to mount/secure them. 58"W x 37"H

I have a similar net from Wraingler.com (meant for a 4runner). Hopefully this pic will help you understand the mounting points:

PB220022.jpg

The two black bars on the windows are simple 3/4" conduit with each end flattened. They basically prevent someone from easily getting into the vehicle and also for tie down points for the cargo nets and other stuff as needed.

Cheers.

Brian894x4

Explorer
The two black bars on the windows are simple 3/4" conduit with each end flattened. They basically prevent someone from easily getting into the vehicle and also for tie down points for the cargo nets and other stuff as needed.

Cheers.

I like that idea of the bar in the window using the seatbelt bolts. I may have to try that in my quest for the securiest vehicle ever.

Brian894x4

Explorer
Latest mod is the African Outback roof rack. I mentioned this in another post, but I thought some might be interested in looking at other photos of the build, if you're bored this weekend.....

This is my main Land Cruiser page:

http://www.brian894x4.com/ExpeditionLandCruiserFZJ80.html

This page (towards the bottom) has some photos and info on the new AO rack and fuel can carrying set up. Just a quick a comment. I don't really plan on carrying fuel up there unless I expect to actually need it, which is only on very long range remote trips.

Normally, I carry some spare parts, my Pull-Pal in its case, and recoverying and digging tools, such as the axe, shovel, and other tools for our excavations.

http://www.brian894x4.com/ExpeditionLCExterior.html

I have a few new pictures on this page:

http://www.brian894x4.com/ExpeditionLCAction.html

As soon as I can find the time, I'll be updated this page with some new articles and photos from a few recent trips this past summer:

http://www.brian894x4.com/INSEARCHOFHISTORY.html

We just took a trip to Southeastern Oregon a few weeks ago. Basically, the Hart Mountain area. This was our first real fairly remote multi-day outback trip in this rig. Until now it's been mostly road trips, beach trips and weekend trips to the mountains. The LC performed absolutely flawlessly. I was surprised as how well it handled and the power and even fuel economy, despite the roofrack and 6550lb weight.

I managed a highway average of about 14 mpg. With low speed off roading combined, it was a significantly less, though. Ironicly, the better than expected fuel economy, meant that I didn't any of the extra gas.... Although topping off at every single fuel oppertunity helped too. Over $4/gallon in remote Eastern Oregon, though. I had planned for a worst case average of 10 mpg, just to be safe.

It was so nice to be able drive in absolute comfort on the highway and then be able to run moderate off road trails in between. Such a huge departure from my old truck, which was great off road, but exhausting to drive on the highway and very uncomfortable.

I absolute love this rig! :wings:

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Brian894x4 said:
Over $4/gallon in remote Eastern Oregon, though. I had planned for a worst case average of 10 mpg, just to be safe.

It was so nice to be able drive in absolute comfort on the highway and then be able to run moderate off road trails in between. Such a huge departure from my old truck, which was great off road, but exhausting to drive on the highway and very uncomfortable.

I absolute love this rig! :wings:

Those kind of gas prices hurt.

That is why I sold my Taco and went back to an 80, the comfort. I know it has been said, but for the size, capability, features and price the 80 is real to impossible to beat.

Jack

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice update Brian.

I really like the short 2.5 gal cans on the roof rack, nice low profile. You're so nice to let others drive your LC. If that was mine, it would be hands off for everybody!

:ar15:

esh

Explorer
I knew I should have checked in with you. We've been travelling in the same areas recently..

I've changed my config around a little.. more room to carry junk, lower COG, but.. more room to carry junk. :(

Let me know if you guys head out during the winter!

IMG_0075s.jpg

Brian894x4

Explorer
Ken,

Good to hear from you! Nice set up too. :D

kcowyo said:
Nice update Brian.

I really like the short 2.5 gal cans on the roof rack, nice low profile. You're so nice to let others drive your LC. If that was mine, it would be hands off for everybody!

:ar15:

Thanks. The low profile is one reason I got the 2.5 cans, but a 5 gallon can laid on it's side will also be just as low profile. But what makes the 2.5 gallon cans so nice is that they are sooooo much easier to manipulate to fill without getting gas all over yourself, the rig and the ground.

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Looks good man. Whats the deal with the orange strobes? I've always thought of mounting one for people to find base camp at night. Also, do you have some kind of rubber covers over your door mirrors?

Brian894x4

Explorer
SOCALFJ said:
Looks good man. Whats the deal with the orange strobes? I've always thought of mounting one for people to find base camp at night. Also, do you have some kind of rubber covers over your door mirrors?

The main purpose is to keep people from hitting my rig when I have to park in precarious places as part of our historical research projects in the back country. The light has been known to keep bad guys away from the rig as they think we're close by and it lets authorities know who we are and why we're there. We also do some research for the State Forestry Department, for their cultural resources department and a few other agencies.

Since we explore places that are far off the beaten path away from typical parking and recreation areas, our vehicle would otherwise raise red flags to Police, Rangers, Game Wardens, etc. So, I have it clearly marked with who we are, what we do and the lights, etc. It's definitely helped out.

Another purpose is if anything were to happen to us while away from our vehicles, we would be extremely hard to find, as we're usually exploring a place that hasn't seen humans in years or is definately not well known, so I leave the strobes on as they use very little power and would last for days and this would make my rig easy to spot from the air, especially at night. In a "lost in the woods" situation, finding the rig is half the battle. I always tell my wife or whoever is left behind, the general area of where we are going and the fact that our rig would be spotable at night by aircraft.

I have one strobe in the back and one on the roof, just so the rig can be seen coming from both directions. The back light is hard bolted to the rack. The front light is mag mount to the roof, but hardwired to a switch. Both can be turned on indepedently.

The mirror "bras" are from Specter Off Road.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat274.tam?xax=28188&page.ctx=cat274.tam

They work OK. Since my mirrors are painted and were getting scratched up from branches, I figured what the heck. They kind of flap around though, hence the wire ties to hold them in place.

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
Sorry if this was mentioned already but can I get the make/model of the Aux cooling fan? I like the design of it.

Brian894x4

Explorer
thanks all for the kind words....

aila176: I'm not sure of the make and model of the fan. Sorry. I just went into an autoparts store and picked one out that looked like it would fit.

If I were to do it over again, I'd go with a Japanese spec Toyota factory aux fan, which I think can be sourced from "CruiserDan" over at www.ih8mud.com The factory fan will also line up with the factory bolt holes. I'm not sure how easy they are to source, though. I'm sure ih8mud.com probably has some alternative suggestions including exact models, etc. I'll see what I can find and report back here.

Also, this particular one, I don't think has as much air flow volume as others that can bought. If you remove the grill, take some measurements, you can find tons of aux. fans on the web. For next summer, I'm considering looking for a higher volume replacement. Although it's much easier to do this mod without a new front winch bumper in the way. :)

-------

eurorom: The rear lights are attached using the factory pintle hook bolt holes. Not a great place to put them though, because they've been knocked around plenty just backing into hillsides and stuff. I think I'm going to relocate to the rear of the roof rack at some point.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior