Breather for E4OD?

BajaSurfRig

I recently moved to a ranch where I have to cross a stream to get to work every day. With our recent rains here on the Central Coast I would like to attach breathers to protect everything.

I have done the front and rear diffs, the transfer case and but haven't been able to get to the fitting on top of the E4OD.

Any advice how to do this (without dropping the transmission)?

When the water is higher than 3.5 feet I park and walk across the foot bridge as I don't want to damage any electronics on the 7.3.

Thanks!

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
What year and model truck? You are pretty much going to have to drop the trans, if you jack it up high enough to take the trans mount off you might be able to lower the rear of the trans enough to get a hand up to the breather.

Broncocrawler

You do not have to drop the trans at all on a 7.3 e40d to attach a longer breather. It located on the top of the trans towards the front it will have a hose on it that goes up towards the turbo and then does a 180 and goes back down the trans almost to the tcase. You can pull that hose off and discard it. Use some 5/16 rubber trans line and run it wherever you want under the hood.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
96 should have enough room to squeeze your hand in enough to reach the breather without dropping the trans, a razor knife will cut the old hose and let you pull it off the breather tube, if you are patient enough you can fish the new hose onto the tube then use your fingers to push it the rest of the way on, if the water is too deep and gets into the cab it can get to the PCM which is behind the parking brake pedal assembly so be careful!

BajaSurfRig

Thanks guys. I will give it a go in the next couple of day! I don't plan on crossing anything higher than my tires, just want to protect my equipment.

BajaSurfRig

96 should have enough room to squeeze your hand in enough to reach the breather without dropping the trans, a razor knife will cut the old hose and let you pull it off the breather tube, if you are patient enough you can fish the new hose onto the tube then use your fingers to push it the rest of the way on, if the water is too deep and gets into the cab it can get to the PCM which is behind the parking brake pedal assembly so be careful!

@NevadaLover Out of curiosity is there anyway to make the PCM more water resistant? Is there anything else that I should look into protecting?

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
No real effective way to waterproof it except moving it to a higher position under the dash, not an easy job but not impossible either, I think it would be a good days work to relocate it if you are comfortable with unpinning the connectors and rerouting the wires, not hard but can be intimidating to someone who hasn't had any or much experience working with connectors and wiring.

And I can't think of anything else as important or fragile as the PCM mounted that low, once you get all the breathers elevated you should be okay with crossing water that doesn't get into the cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles