Brass or Teflon for Lunette hook swivel?

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
I have a need to make the Lunette ring swivel. In doing so is it best to use a brass shim, Teflon shim, or both in between the compression surface? Maybe a sandwhich? This will be added to another assembly so the swivel rings on the market now just wont work for me, hence I need to fab one up. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I do intend to building it with a zert fitting for grease.

Last edited:
Do you mean a spinning pintle hitch for the ring? I know Grainger industrial supply sells them. Or you may find one from a M1008 cucv.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
All versions of Teflon have very poor abrasion resistance.

If a low friction non-metallic shim is required, you might be better off with High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene (HMWPE) or Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene (UHMWPE). These materials have a fairly low coefficients of friction and excellent abrasion resistance (for a non-metallic material).

Bear in mind that when you sandwich plastic or rubber between metal parts and the non-metallic is carrying the bolt torque, over time it will take a set and/or creep. Bottom line is it will get thinner and bolt torque will be reduced.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Good stuff guys thanks for the input. This will be home built so I think it would be better to start from scratch. I knew there was a better poly then teflon but couldnt remember what it was called. Thanks for the bearing and HMWPE suggestions. I will check them both out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles