Brand new Diesel CJ8

Septu

Explorer
It would be an awesome rig... However the $152,500 price tag (for the diesel with the hard top) seems a little extravagant. I mean, hey if you win the lotto, and love them, sure. But if you're looking to kit out an amazing expo rig and have 150k to play with... surely you can find something better than bone bare CJ8...

frank6772

It is very cool, but the 6 figure price tag can give anyone pause. If it were I, I would buy the frame, body, and new Cummins 4 cyl diesel. That would put me at around 20k by themselves. With some smart shopping not necessarily going for the most expensive and best, and a bit of elbow grease, I can feasibly spend less than half of what they would charge and still have a very unique ride.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Huh, I wonder if banks are actually selling that engine now as a crate option.

They've been releasing it "soon" since about 2012.

-Dan

Lee_N

I'm amazed at what people will spend. Just look at ICON's FJ45 or Heritage Motor's Power Wagon restomods.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
If you look at this build there is nothing extravagant. Yet the purposeful engineering, top notch content and build quality is extremely attractive.
It is a real treat to see. :)
I love the functionality and substance in this vehicle.
Given the choice, I'd much prefer to be in the position to afford it, than not. :smiley_drive:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...with a hard top could be a pretty awesome exploration rig.

Seems to me like it needs a Safari Cab hardtop, so I drew one on...

DieselJeepSafari_zpsxq9fs9cy.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Ok the safari hard top makes it !!! Seriously that is freaking cool like that!!! But I'm thinking 60k max cool!!

I've always thought the Safari Cab soft sides would be especially good on a Scrambler.

DieselJeepSafariSoftSides_zpsejypremo.jpg

With their Scrambler price at $150k, I can't imagine how much they'd charge for a fully optioned Safari Cab to go with it :).

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yep, I'd prefer the fully optioned version as it fits the "theme" of functionality for this rig. :victory:

It would be fun just to see what it would cost to buy all the pieces to build this. There isn't an inexpensive component on this rig.
My WAG would be about $80K for all the parts. Then add body and paint. Probably another $6 to $10K depending on what state a person lives in.

My neighbor built a beautiful '32 Ford from a catalog. It came out stunning, and he drives the heck out of it. Probably has over 40K miles with no issues.
How awesome it must be to start with pieces that don't need cleaning, and rebuilding! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior