Brake fluid reservoir cap spew?

Maninga

Adventurer
Oh, and you only THINK you're not going to have to redo things if you're gonna copy me. I can assure you that I have to redo things a dozen times myself. If there's anyone you want to follow that does their own build, follow Mog. I'm nowhere near the perfectionist he is, on his builds.

Only a dozen times... what an amateur!!!
That does not even come close to how many times I have redesigned parts of my build. :)

:Wow1: Yeah, but if you redesign/refine as many times as Owen does, you'll get a build time the same as his.

gait

Explorer
a bit of effort to remove, sort of fingers under the edge and work it a bit until it begins to peel off .....

KMG

Adventurer
I bought my new 2013 and had it 2 weeks before it went into the shop for 33 days before they could get it out of "limp: mode due to DEF issues. My DEF gauge still doesn't work. I was told by the Mitsubishi tech they don't fix the issues until the truck is sold and the owner request the upgraded software. Will be a great truck. Can't say that about Mitsubishi

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
33 days? Holy Toledo!

Is your DEF gauge completely blank, or does it just show completely full all the time, no matter what the DEF level is? What kind of alerts did you have showing on the display?

When I bought my truck used, in Arizona, I had an amber ENGSYS and DEF/DPF warning go off, so I took it right away to a local Fuso service shop. They diagnosed contaminated DEF, and did the reflash, fluids etc. Drove it home, had intermittent warnings going on for a while, and it finally hit the red warning while I was on an errand close to home, so I just took it to the local Fuso service place. They found that a NOX sensor what shot, within a day had it replaced, truck has been fine since then. I talked to them about the DEF gauge calibration, and the contacted Mitsu about it. Word from Mitsu was "let the DEF tank level get as low as possible, then fill to 100%. Try this cycle about three times, and that should recalibrate the system. If it doesn't, bring it back in for that issue". I'm about 1.5 times through it so far, and the gauge has started to register more accurately.

I think that most of the issues are being solved, and the warranty on these trucks is good enough and long enough that I'm not overly concerned about dumping a ton of money into them, at least as far as repairing major systems. Even the trans issues seem to be at a standstill right now, but time will tell on that.

As with any new vehicle, especially a limited distribution vehicle that's being used for a different task, it'll be up to us owners to figure out what's "normal" and what's not. So far, though, I'm still pleased with this vehicle, and once it's properly set up I think it'll be fine. I hope.

jomobco

Now Decanter
I bought my new 2013 and had it 2 weeks before it went into the shop for 33 days before they could get it out of "limp: mode due to DEF issues. My DEF gauge still doesn't work. I was told by the Mitsubishi tech they don't fix the issues until the truck is sold and the owner request the upgraded software. Will be a great truck. Can't say that about Mitsubishi

To clarify it was my mistake on the DEF. I mistook the light to the RIGHT of the DEF level Gauge to be an error. They scanned the truck, no codes and looked at another FUSO which had the same DEF light on. I had looked at the manual and didn't realize that the light was on all the time. Duh.

jomobco

Now Decanter
I guess I'll swing by the local service guys and order a new cap. Maybe that'll solve it. Hopefully it'll be less than $137.73. :)

I can't imagine the cap or the bottle changing that much. I could see the rubber gasket on the inside breaking down and causing excess play of the cap. Perhaps you could junk yard another master cylinder cap and cut to fit.

Czechsix

To clarify it was my mistake on the DEF. I mistook the light to the RIGHT of the DEF level Gauge to be an error. They scanned the truck, no codes and looked at another FUSO which had the same DEF light on. I had looked at the manual and didn't realize that the light was on all the time. Duh.

Ah, got it.

Pretty funny that they didn't know it either, though. Oh, and I let mine run down until all bars are dark, and there will be a round green LED just to the left of the "E" mark.

Czechsix

I can't imagine the cap or the bottle changing that much. I could see the rubber gasket on the inside breaking down and causing excess play of the cap. Perhaps you could junk yard another master cylinder cap and cut to fit.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Cap has hardened, not as pliable. I'll check dealer, I don't feel like traveling a few hundred miles to dig through junk yards for other old, hardened caps. BTDT.

KMG

Adventurer
Mine displayed an amber ENGSYS and DEF/DPF, then it changed to flashing amber with an alternating audio alarm, them solid red with continuous alarm and limp mode. It had a bad NOX sensor, DEF tank sending unit, and a moisture sensor fault. Gauge reads full all the time. DEF level around 1/3 of a tank. I'll try the "let it go real low before refilling" method. My other issues are with the transmission. will begin to go forward when you depress the throttle but will move forward about 50 ft. and feels like it goes into neutral until you stop and it "resets" and then will move. Worrisome to say the least when pulling out in traffic. Anyone completely removed the BlueTec exhaust system and reprogrammed the electronics or replaced the transmission with an Allison unit?
33 days? Holy Toledo!

Is your DEF gauge completely blank, or does it just show completely full all the time, no matter what the DEF level is? What kind of alerts did you have showing on the display?

When I bought my truck used, in Arizona, I had an amber ENGSYS and DEF/DPF warning go off, so I took it right away to a local Fuso service shop. They diagnosed contaminated DEF, and did the reflash, fluids etc. Drove it home, had intermittent warnings going on for a while, and it finally hit the red warning while I was on an errand close to home, so I just took it to the local Fuso service place. They found that a NOX sensor what shot, within a day had it replaced, truck has been fine since then. I talked to them about the DEF gauge calibration, and the contacted Mitsu about it. Word from Mitsu was "let the DEF tank level get as low as possible, then fill to 100%. Try this cycle about three times, and that should recalibrate the system. If it doesn't, bring it back in for that issue". I'm about 1.5 times through it so far, and the gauge has started to register more accurately.

I think that most of the issues are being solved, and the warranty on these trucks is good enough and long enough that I'm not overly concerned about dumping a ton of money into them, at least as far as repairing major systems. Even the trans issues seem to be at a standstill right now, but time will tell on that.

As with any new vehicle, especially a limited distribution vehicle that's being used for a different task, it'll be up to us owners to figure out what's "normal" and what's not. So far, though, I'm still pleased with this vehicle, and once it's properly set up I think it'll be fine. I hope.

Czechsix

I had the same ENGSYS and DEF/DPF tattletales going off - started in Arizona, and that's when I took it in to the service guys out there in Tucson. They reflashed, said it had contaminated DEF so that was replaced, and did all the past due little recall issues. I got back on the road, and all was well for a while, but a few months later it started to get intermittant amber ENGSYS and DEF/DPF faults, sometimes for only a few minutes, sometimes for awhile. I did note that at least three times, the faults seemed to be related to DEF tank levels, so I tried to keep it full and just monitor, planning to take it in later. One day, rolling down the freeway, amber ENGSYS and DEF/DPF lit up, then within a minute or two went to red and buzzer going off. Luckily I was only a mile or so from the local service guys, and they eventually found a bad NOX sensor. DEF tank sending unit was fine, and it was the NOX causing all the issues. Since that's been replaced, truck has had zero issues.

As to the transmission, I'm betting that you haven't gotten the latest software and reflash into the system. What your truck is doing is exactly what my truck was doing too, and once it was brought up to the corrected reflash it was night and day. Once that's done, it works.

The Bluetec system removal has been talked about, and the only thing that seems to have happened recently is a company in Australia that says they've managed to reprogram the PCU/SAM unit to allow removal of the system...but you have to send the chip to them to do it, which deadlines the truck. Plus of course, if the chip is damaged or lost enroute....they're pricy. So, being where I am (California), and having to deal with smog inspections every couple of years (soon going to every year, I'll bet), I just leave it installed. If it works, well, what the heck, so it's costing a few bucks and a few horsepower.

I could swear I've seen somewhere on this site a post about an earlier FG that had an Allison mated to the stock diesel, but that's an earlier system, nowhere near as electronic as ours. If I was to do it, I'd find an FG with a trashed trans, and go that route. But....lots of hours, or lots of dollars, and then time spent tweaking it to perfection. When I was younger I used to do that sort of thing, but now....time's a'wasting, and I can see what's approaching. I'd rather pay, get something that works decently (ok, so not 100%? I can deal with it), and get out in the world and see some sights, while I still have vision.

IAC, the 2012 that I have seems to be working fine now, had some decent miles put on it, went into some rougher areas, and it seems to work fine now. Time will tell though! But for now I'm happy with it.

Maninga

Adventurer
I could swear I've seen somewhere on this site a post about an earlier FG that had an Allison mated to the stock diesel, but that's an earlier system, nowhere near as electronic as ours.

Post #502
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/20313-All-Terrain-Warriors-campers/page51

I'm seriously thinking about the conversion for my FG84 (FG140 equivalent), wife isn't sure about driving the manual and it's meant to work really well the two together. Maybe in a year or two, lots of things left to do first before I think about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles