Braided Air Line for Compressor options

I am in the process of installing an ARB Twin Air Compressor in the rear of my vehicle. I would like to run an air line up to the front bumper for an outlet. The airline specific braided lines are very expensive when compared to other types of steel braided lines, e.g., hydraulic, fuel, plumbing and the like. I appreciate that an air line may be under higher pressure than a plumbing line but they are both braided in steel, which, in theory, should withstand such pressure. Does anyone have any experience of running less expensive hose lines from an air compressor? If so, what were your results?

Scotty

WOODY2

Adventurer
I am in the process of installing an ARB Twin Air Compressor in the rear of my vehicle. I would like to run an air line up to the front bumper for an outlet. The airline specific braided lines are very expensive when compared to other types of steel braided lines, e.g., hydraulic, fuel, plumbing and the like. I appreciate that an air line may be under higher pressure than a plumbing line but they are both braided in steel, which, in theory, should withstand such pressure. Does anyone have any experience of running less expensive hose lines from an air compressor? If so, what were your results?

Scotty
Semi trucks use a product called Synflex which is very flexible and uses push pull fittings and is DOT approved. Usually available at Napa auto parts stores. Just another option and very easy to fix on the trail. It's much like the airlines ARB uses for their lockers. Comes in metric and SAE sizes.

Soft copper tubing and a hand bender? Never used it for an air line in a vehicle, but I don’t see why not as long as it isn’t hanging out completely exposed to damage. Easy to repair, but that usually means easy to damage.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Save your money, don't need braided. That is the stuff for the car show or the mall crawler. In that case you don't even need to hook it up.

Betarocker

Adventurer
I'd only worry about the section between the compressor and the tank being heat resistant braided stainless. The compressed air will get hot. From the tank to a fitting, the reduction of pressure will cool. Use the black airline hose for truck airbrakes and either push-to-connect or brass compression with anti-crush stem fittings.

RedF

Adventurer
As above, synflex air brake tubing. It's cheap, readily available and easy to work with. It's fairly abrasion resistant. It does not tolerate heat well.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Braided does not protect against heat. Braided is for abrasion protection. The liner core will still melt.
Copper is great for heat, but can't take vibration and will crack.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Just be sure when you start shopping for poly tubing, you make certain you know what size you are working with.

There is a variety of sizes.

ericvs

A friend has a twin installed on his rig and he just had normal plastic air line right out of the compressor. it got so hot, it would blow the line off the connector, so he switched to 1' of braided line from the compressor and then he has air line after that. hasn't had a problem since.

Betarocker

Adventurer
Braided does not protect against heat. Braided is for abrasion protection. The liner core will still melt.
Copper is great for heat, but can't take vibration and will crack.

There is heat resistant rated braided stainless leader hose available, such as supplied by Viair or Air Zenith for their compressors.

Oilbrnr

OP, once you get your heat resistant leader hose figured out, use nylon air brake lines. Super easy to work with, when warm anyway...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles