Boxes by adventure trucks (GXV's new line of trucks and DIY kits)

Momodolo

If you have the intention to travel in 3rd world countries you should not take a diesel truck with modern emission control systems. Either take a gas engine or a diesel without emission control systems. The second question you should decide before looking at specific trucks is the size and weight of your cabin. If you want to live full-time in it you need enough space to live even in bad weather and you need plenty of storage for clothing for 4 seasons, recovery gear, tools, spare parts, food, toys etc. Add at least 30 gallons of water, a large fuel tank (at least 700 miles), perhaps propane, grey water tank etc and you get a fairly big and heavy cabin. Even if you use lightweight material you should expect 4000+ lbs wet and at least 12 ft length. Only once you have a feeling for the size and weight of your cabin you can start looking for a suitable truck.

Both the fuso and the Dodge Ram cummins can handle all that. And run on any diesel in the world. Sooo the Question is Dodge Ram or fuso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Both the fuso and the Dodge Ram cummins can handle all that. And run on any diesel in the world. Sooo the Question is Dodge Ram or fuso.

Lots of fans of both. Pros and Cons of both.

Only way to make the decision is to personally drive both and see which one you like.

I drove a friends Fuso last year and absolutely hated it. He’s owned more vehicles than me and he absolute loves it and says it’s his fav out of them all.

Both VERY different vehicles

Last edited:

Momodolo

Lots of fans of both. Pros and Cons of both.

Only way to make the decision is to personally drive both and see which one you like.

I drove a friends Fuso last year and absolutely hated he. He’s owned more vehicles than me and he absolute loves it and says it’s his fav out of them all.

Both VERY different vehicles

Thank you, I appreciate the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
The Outbound windows hinge at the top so opening the window gets you an open aperture kinda like you might expect.

KCT's hinge mean when fully open the glass part it sits almost in the middle of the opening, blocking your view. They tell you this is a design advantage because you can clean the outside from inside which is handy on a truck or else you maybe need a ladder/brush/hose, but to block your view is a 100% fail IMHO.

My camper has Outbound throughout, no complaints. We've had Seitz windows in a previous camper and these are amazing in comparison except in cost compared to them. The KCT price is ridiculous. The people who glued our box together and the windows etc in managed to get some of the struts swapped, so I thought on collection they didn't work properly. I dropped in to Outbound on my way home, problem spotted and sorted, nice people, nice coffee :)

Wouldn't ordering a pallet direct from Outbound be an option?

reddrum

Anyone successfuly chat with GXV about the kits? I just noticed this on their website. Curious which ones are available, specifically cab over models. I am in the final planning stages and this would be a game changer.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Anyone successfuly chat with GXV about the kits? I just noticed this on their website. Curious which ones are available, specifically cab over models. I am in the final planning stages and this would be a game changer.

I called 3x, twice talked to someone that took my info for a call back. Never got a call back. I’m over it/them

Ordered a TC box from @Victorian whos been awesome with replies

Last edited:

reddrum

FWIW, I chatted with GXV a few days ago. Great conversation. Short story, the kits are not just x' by x' and they will build whatever you want. Kits come with panels, extrusions, and glue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior