Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

Box Rocket

@Box Rocket , reviving your thread. I've read it many times. Love it!
I'm in the process of 'rebuilding' my 1946 Bantam and taking a lot of pointers and ideas from your build. I am the greenest you can get when it comes to welding but this will be the way I learn. Right now I am in the process of replacing the 75 year old leaf springs. Already have a heaving duty axle with Toyota 6 lug hubs and want to match my 35x10.5/17 and wheels so I'll need to redo the fenders as well.
Also looking into power, water tank with quick connects as well as propane with quick connects.

You had mentioned way back in the thread about hinges on the front. How do you think those would hold up? Mine currently opens from the passenger side as well as my tailgate. Contemplating moving the hinges up front to help with swapping out the propane and water tank as needed.
Heres a link to what I have:Bantam T3-C

Been following you on IG for a minute too. Name is Flatwerx on IG.

Adam Rivera
Thanks for following along and I’m glad it’s given you a few ideas.
I think hinges at the front will hold up just fine terms of strength. There are really just two factors to consider. First is it easier to access what you need to in the trailer with it hinges on the side or on the front. Second, do you plan to have a RTT mounted to the lid and what type of tent is it? If you have a clamshell hard shell tent that is very popular right now hinging at the front is no problem because the footprint of the tent doesn’t change. If you have a folding tent like I do or an iKamper then having the hinge at the front isn’t ideal if you need to open the trailer lid when the tent is deployed. You would be raising the cantilevered part of the open tent off the ground at an angle it’s not meant to. That’s why I ended up putting hinges on the side. So when I opened the lid it would fold my open tent along it’s natural hinge point.

flatwerx

Thanks for following along and I’m glad it’s given you a few ideas.
I think hinges at the front will hold up just fine terms of strength. There are really just two factors to consider. First is it easier to access what you need to in the trailer with it hinges on the side or on the front. Second, do you plan to have a RTT mounted to the lid and what type of tent is it? If you have a clamshell hard shell tent that is very popular right now hinging at the front is no problem because the footprint of the tent doesn’t change. If you have a folding tent like I do or an iKamper then having the hinge at the front isn’t ideal if you need to open the trailer lid when the tent is deployed. You would be raising the cantilevered part of the open tent off the ground at an angle it’s not meant to. That’s why I ended up putting hinges on the side. So when I opened the lid it would fold my open tent along it’s natural hinge point.

Thanks man!
My RTT's footprint doesn't change: FSR Adventure Series 49 pretty much pops open but its not a hard shell.
Accessing from both sides would be way easier for both me and my girl. Thought about adding a slide but that could get heavy and tip the trailer backwards so leaning towards stronger struts and HD greaseable hinges.
I'll be starting a build thread as well. I appreciate the insight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles