Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

Box Rocket

Resurrecting this thread. Twelve years of pretty hard use with the trailer is starting to show some effects. May last post from this past spring with the broken spring hanger was the impetus for a relatively complete refresh of the trailer planned for the next few months. Here's what I've got planned.
Few minor repairs/tweaks to the tub construction.
Replace the tongue mounted cooler with an actual locking Tongue box and start putting together a full power system.

But the big ticket item is a revamp of the suspension. I've long been a fan of the simple reliability of the leaf springs. They've just worked well for the past 12 years and with the exception of the spring hanger failure last spring, have been trouble free. Can't complain considering the many thousands of miles and my driving style that isn't very kind to the trailer. But I'm doing something different this time. Should be fairly inexpensive since I have most of the components already. I got this idea from a friend in Australia who built this setup for his offroad trailer.

FZJ80 front radius arms will be used as trailing arms. FZJ80 rear panhard will be used as a panhard on the trailer and I have a pair of Firestone airbags to be used as the "springs". I already had a set of spare radius arms and a panhard. So the airbags have really been the only cost for parts and i got a brand new set of bags for $100 on the local classifieds. Any additional cost is just materials for fabricating the brackets etc.

One thing I'm quite excited about is the adjustability with the airbags and being able to "tune" the suspension for different trailer loads/terrain.

This pics are my friends, Australian trailer.
radius arm by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

radius arm2 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

In this completed photo you can see that the arms were ultimately turned right side up, rather than upside down in the other pics. Not sure which may I'll set mine up yet.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

One other bit that has happened recently was some new tires. I've been running some 33x10.50 BFGs that were take-offs from my tacoma. They still have some tread left but are showing some cracking from age. It was time to replace them. I found a pair of used 37's in great shape on the local classifieds for $30! Couldn't pass up that deal. Worked a trade for some 17" wheels to match the cruiser and now I have the new wheel/tire combo for the trailer. They will force me to build some new fenders. LOL. The current fenders just won't work with these big tires.

keane

Observer
I really like the new suspension, I am doing my trailer suspension in a similar style using a spare set of front radius arms off a 79 ford bronco.

The rim and tire combo look great also

GeoFelipe

Excellent! Like very much the result, inspiring me for my first project.
Sorry if I missed it, what are the dimensions of the box?
Cheers

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Coopsdaddy

Observer
Were do your think weight could be saved,would 1/8 thick frame material be sufficient?any other area of the frame and box area to save weight?
What was your inner hub to hub measurement?

Box Rocket

Were do your think weight could be saved,would 1/8 thick frame material be sufficient?any other area of the frame and box area to save weight?
What was your inner hub to hub measurement?
1.8" material for the frame could work but you'd probably want more crossmembers to keep it strong, which would probably equal the weight of a heavier material with less crossmembers. The lid would be better being aluminum but steel is what I had on hand. It's kinda heavy but it works.

Box Rocket

I recently finished the rebuild of some new fenders to fit the 37's and a bit of a refresh on the rest of the trailer. Lots of stuff cut off from the adjustable rack that used to be on it. Tire carrier is removed, for now. Recoated the tub with raptor liner and sprayed the whole thing white. Kinda diggin the simpler, clean look.
Trailer fenders by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

New tailgate latches

New tongue box.

IMG_4842 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4855 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4845 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

old_CWO

Wow the new tires look gigantic on there. How wide did you make the fenders? Looks like they could double as lunch tables now!

Box Rocket

Wow the new tires look gigantic on there. How wide did you make the fenders? Looks like they could double as lunch tables now!
Well it was a 4" jump in tire size so....
The fenders are about 14" wide IIRC. Made them just wide enough to fully cover the tires, whatever that ended up being. They do make a nice flat surface for things though. Nice to stand on, the camp stove fits will on it, I'm sure some other things too.

Coopsdaddy

Observer
Would you have welded uprights closer to perimeter of main frame to get skin to set more flush with the outside vs having the lip?
What’s your tire to bedside clearance like?
Did you redo tailgate latching system?

old_CWO

They do make a nice flat surface for things though. Nice to stand on, the camp stove fits will on it, I'm sure some other things too.

To me the round fenders look significantly better but the flat tops are just so practical. I have some wide flat tops on my trailer as well; they are handy for sure.

Box Rocket

Would you have welded uprights closer to perimeter of main frame to get skin to set more flush with the outside vs having the lip?
What’s your tire to bedside clearance like?
Did you redo tailgate latching system?
I wanted a bit of a lip at the frame so I wouldn't have changed it. But you could definitely build it more flush.
Tire clearance is about 3" between the tire and tub.
Yes, tailgate latches are new with the recent work.

flatwerx

@Box Rocket , reviving your thread. I've read it many times. Love it!
I'm in the process of 'rebuilding' my 1946 Bantam and taking a lot of pointers and ideas from your build. I am the greenest you can get when it comes to welding but this will be the way I learn. Right now I am in the process of replacing the 75 year old leaf springs. Already have a heaving duty axle with Toyota 6 lug hubs and want to match my 35x10.5/17 and wheels so I'll need to redo the fenders as well.
Also looking into power, water tank with quick connects as well as propane with quick connects.

You had mentioned way back in the thread about hinges on the front. How do you think those would hold up? Mine currently opens from the passenger side as well as my tailgate. Contemplating moving the hinges up front to help with swapping out the propane and water tank as needed.
Heres a link to what I have:Bantam T3-C

Been following you on IG for a minute too. Name is Flatwerx on IG.

Adam Rivera

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles