Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

Sharky1528

Observer
So what are you thinking about the Autocraft Slinky Long Travel suspension VS the OME suspension now that you have a few miles on the Autocraft ??

Box Rocket

So what are you thinking about the Autocraft Slinky Long Travel suspension VS the OME suspension now that you have a few miles on the Autocraft ??

I wrote a detailed review answering that very question in the summer issue of TCT Magazine. (It's a free download). http://tctmagazine.net/summer-2016
But in a nutshell, I've been very pleased with the change. The coils are an improvement in ride and load capacity, but also with traction. The design of the Slinky is a much longer coil than an OME spring of the same lift height. This is a plus because when you reach the limit of droop with the OME coil the spring will want to drop out of the coil bucket (if you don't have retainers) and there is no more downward pressure on that tire resulting in poor traction at that wheel. With the longer slinky coil (as well as longer shocks) the amount of travel increases, but there is still range in the coil so when the suspension nears the limit of droop there is still downward pressure to give traction to that wheel.
The biggest change I've noticed is the ride quality from the shocks. Darren at Autocraft has worked some serious magic with the custom ICON shocks and his tuning is just about perfect. I still have the stage1 kit with the 2.0 IFP shocks and occasionally I "overrun" the shocks at higher speeds in rough terrain. I'm looking forward to upgrading to the stage4 shocks that are adjustable to gain some improvement in those situations.
Bottom line is I'm very happy with it and it has outperformed the OME stuff in every regard. That's coming from an OME fan that had been using OME on 80s for 16 years.

Box Rocket

Few minor changes happening. Got some new tires. A bit on the aggressive side for "overland" stuff, but I like having a more aggressive tread for more difficult trails. The MTR Kevlars I've had have been my favorite tires. They are tough with awesome grip. Only downside to them is a little bit of road noise if that bothers you. I'd have gone with another set of MTRs without hesitation but given that its Christmas time and finances get spread kinda thin, I needed something a little less expensive that would hopefully be close in performance. Decided to give the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC Radial a try. Stayed with the 315/75R16. These are load range E (10-ply) so should be pretty tough. We'll see how they do. Might take some fiddling to figure out what tire pressures work best with these since the MTRs were load range C.

The MTR's still have 40-50% tread left and my son's truck needs some different tires so we're cleaning/repainting the stock 80 wheels and using those and the MTR's on my son's 1980 Hilux.
I also picked up some front swaybar disconnects from LandCruiserPhil on MUD. Very interested to see how these work out.
I'm expecting a delivery from FedEx today from TrailTailor. I'm getting their first set of rear upper and lower control arms. Poly bushes at the frame ends, Currie Johnny Joints at the axle, fully adjustable to correct axle location and pinion angle. Photos look good, but I'm excited to see them when they show up today.

A few other small things on my radar for the winter that I want to address, but I'll see what my time and budget allows.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Always, always wanted the Claws just never took the plunge. Have either had the KM2's or currently General Grabber AT2's. Will be exciting to see/hear your reviews.

Box Rocket

This popped up on my FB feed today as a memory. Two years ago today I bought my 80 in Grand Juction, CO. This pic was taken right after we signed the papers.

It's changed a little since then. ;)

bijanjames

Adventurer
This popped up on my FB feed today as a memory. Two years ago today I bought my 80 in Grand Juction, CO. This pic was taken right after we signed the papers.

Very nice. My Dad passed his 95' FZJ80 down to me. Unfortunatley it was hit by a drunk driver in 07' and totaled. It's now a farm use vehicle and takes daily beatings. Still as reliable as ever.IMG_4965.jpg

pyrate

Rollin' along

Ok, maybe I'm not seeing it. No front lic plate? J/K :sombrero: HA!

Box Rocket

New tires got put on this morning.

I've driven about 40 miles on them so far most of which was highway. I'm comparing them to the worn MTR's that came off, but they are surprisingly smooth. I expected a noisy tire with some vibration from the aggressive tread. They are actually really quiet (quieter than the MTR) up to about 75mph, then a bit of a hum starts and gets a little more noticeable between 75-85mph. Really pleased with that unexpected surprise.
I knew they were an aggressive tire when I ordered them but seeing them in person, they are a meaty tire. More aggressive looking in person.
Time will tell how they do in different conditions but so far I'm pleased.

rickashay

Explorer
Time will tell how they do in different conditions but so far I'm pleased.

Interested to see how you like the new tires Adam. They look great!

I've never seen a set in person but always heard they were super soft compound. Excited to hear some more feedback after you put em' to use!

Box Rocket

Interested to see how you like the new tires Adam. They look great!

I've never seen a set in person but always heard they were super soft compound. Excited to hear some more feedback after you put em' to use!

Thanks. I don't think they are much softer than the MTR's they replaced. MT also has a bias ply version (typically larger sizes) that have a softer compound. Maybe those are the ones you're thinking of.

Box Rocket

New set of rear upper and lower control arms are done and installed from Trail Tailor. Should provide a bit more range of motion for the rear axle. Looking forward to a more thorough test soon.
img_20161210_105435520-jpg.1364465

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior