Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

WillBeck

Adventurer
Finally got some time to do a little more work on the truck. My wife was out of town for a few days this week so I was home playing "Mr. Mom" and I needed something to do while the kids were in school. So, I picked up some surplus steel and went to work. I had a scrap peice of 2" tubing left over from a mess up on a rollcage build, and a pretty rusty peice of 3x5 square tubing. I grabbed a receiver tube from Harbor Freight and went to work.

I've been meaning to do something about my rear bumper for a while. I wanted more protection than the stock bumper and needed a way to tow my little trailer. I looked at several of the available aftermarket ones but in the end I'm short on cash, but had some time and a welder. So about $80 later here's what I ended up with.

The bends that were already in the round tube worked out perfectly. Just had to cut them to fit. I need to get a little more tubing so I can tie the slider portion back into the frame. Otherwise it's ready to go.

_MG_0157.jpg

_MG_0154.jpg

_MG_0152.jpg

Made a little bracket to fit into the receiver for the license plate. I might look for one of those little flip-up brackets for it, but this will work for now.
_MG_0145.jpg

_MG_0159.jpg

I like that it looks like it "goes" with the sliders.
_MG_0162.jpg

_MG_0160.jpg

What shackles are these? They look different than the OME greasable ones. Do you have a part #?

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
I find it awesome, that even after you sold this truck and have moved on to the FZJ80 this thread is still going, and you're still answering questions about. Shows you've influenced a lot of people with this build. Look forward to following the 80 build and seeing where it takes you.

Box Rocket

Haha. thanks. I have no problem answering questions. I don't have all the answers, but I don't mind sharing the little bit I do know or my opinion (which might not be popular a lot of the time) ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles