Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Willman

Welcome to the DC party!

Nice rig Adam!

How much was shipping on those sliders? I need to do some on my 60.

Is that 1.5" or 1.75" tube?

Keep up the great work!

:)

Box Rocket

Does the sliders get in the way of getting in and out of your truck.

Not really. Some people have their sliders mounted very tight to the body. I tried to maintain as much clearance as possible under the rocker panels but also provide good protection. I've found that if the outside of the slider is too tight to the body it becomes far more likely to still contact rocks with the doors. So the outside of my sliders are about even with the outside edge of the fender flares. makes for a decent step and makes for a little better protection IMO.

So after that long winded response to your question, getting in and out of the truck today hasn't felt like they're in the way at all, but the protection is more important to me.

Welcome to the DC party!

Nice rig Adam!

How much was shipping on those sliders? I need to do some on my 60.

Is that 1.5" or 1.75" tube?

Keep up the great work!

Thanks Willman. I'm excited to join the "party". I've always admired yours. Speaking of, how bout a little review on your GEAR seat covers since you've had them a while now. Maybe a pic or two? I'm thinking about picking up a pair. Wish they had a matching cover for the rear seat.

The tube is 1.75" I think I paid ~$60 for shipping on these.

Willman

.....Thanks Willman. I'm excited to join the "party". I've always admired yours. Speaking of, how bout a little review on your GEAR seat covers since you've had them a while now. Maybe a pic or two? I'm thinking about picking up a pair. Wish they had a matching cover for the rear seat.

The tube is 1.75" I think I paid ~$60 for shipping on these.

Here is my review when i got them back in 2008.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14767

Here is an update:

These covers are a love/hate relationship.....

I have had one seam come apart on me. My wife has the tools to repair that.

DSC_0001.jpg

The bottom attach's kind of weird with these cords that don't really hold. I have seen people take out their seat and tuck their oem plastic to hold the cover in place. That mod seems to hold them in place ok.

Overall.....Great storage for my Tacoma! It does take up a little space back there but nothing a rider can't move with his knee..... Bad design/quality on the cover. I think i will end up cutting off the bottom (It doesn't even cover the whole bottom of the seat any way....which sucks!) of the cover just to keep the storage back there. The bags seem to be good quality....It just seems that they put alot of quality into the bags but forgot about the cover....

Hope this helps,

Nic

More talk here

Box Rocket

Here is my review when i got them back in 2008.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14767

Here is an update:

More talk here

Thanks. Hmm. I'll have to give this some more thought. I've worried about the seat bottom and haven't liked that it doesn't cover the entire cushion. I did notice there there is a new version available that is just the seat back with all the bags (no bottom). But other tan storage I don't see the point. I want something to help protect the seats too.

Willman

Thanks. Hmm. I'll have to give this some more thought. I've worried about the seat bottom and haven't liked that it doesn't cover the entire cushion. I did notice there there is a new version available that is just the seat back with all the bags (no bottom). But other tan storage I don't see the point. I want something to help protect the seats too.

I hear ya!

I took an ARB seat cover under the GEAR covers to cover the bottom up. ARB doesn't sell the covers anymore:(.....but any cover would do the trick.

Box Rocket

Finally got to the suspension this weekend. I decided on the Old Man Emu Heavy duty setup from Cruiser Outfitters. It consisted of:
Rear OME Dakar leaf springs
OME sport rear shocks
New OME spring bushings
Exhaust relocation bracket
OME greasable shackles
New Ubolts
Front OME 882 Heavy Duty coil springs
OME sport front shocks
JK (jeep) trim packer

For the most part things went as planned with a couple of minor challenges. Factory rear suspension was pretty straight forward. The front spring hanger bolts were completely seized to the sleeves so I picked up new bolts at the dealership and broke out the sawzall and cut out the old ones. Here's a selection of photos through the process.

A couple before measurements......

First, center of hub to edge of fender flare (rear). 22 7/8"
IMG_2690.jpg

Ground to edge of fender flare (rear). 38 1/4"
IMG_2691.jpg

Old, tired Factory springs with 2" lift block.
IMG_2692.jpg

Here you can see that the original springs were essentially inverted.
IMG_2693.jpg

Comparison of the new OME Dakar spring to the old OEM spring.
IMG_2694.jpg

OME exhaust relocation bracket in place
IMG_2695.jpg

Box Rocket

Passenger side rear complete.
IMG_2696.jpg

Driverside rear complete as well.
IMG_2697.jpg

AFTER measurements at the rear.....

Center of hub to edge of fender flare (rear) 25". Just over 2" of height gained.
IMG_2698.jpg

Ground to edge of fender flare (rear) 39 3/4"
IMG_2699.jpg

Original front coilovers OUT. It was using two spacers that would both be eliminated.
IMG_2702.jpg

Out with the old.....
IMG_2704.jpg

I had a friend help me assemble the front coilovers on his press. Only had a problem on one of them where we didn't get the lower shock eye lined up properly for mounting so we had to pull it apart again and get it right. No big deal except for the 20 min drive (each way) to his shop to use the press.

Here you can see the front setup ready to go in including the JK trim packer, which fits like it was made for the setup and is even the right color to match the OME stuff.
IMG_2706.jpg

Front coilovers installed. This was the last photo I took since it was dark outside. I'll get some overall stance photos of the whole truck tomorrow.
IMG_2707.jpg

Took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood. Initial impressions are a much improved ride and I can tell it's slightly stiffer and better controlled. The Monday commute will be a good road test. Then I'll need to get it out in the dirt and see how it works. Will also get an alignment this week, although I don't think it messed things up too bad as is. I'll also be adding a diff drop in the next week or so.

Big thanks to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for the great setup and oustanding service (as usual), and to Ryan at Ratio for helping me get the front coilovers put together.

Box Rocket

a few finished pics of the suspension all wrapped up.

from the front
IMG_7138.jpg

CV's look to be a little steep. Diff drop will be installed in the next week or so once I get it here.
IMG_7139.jpg

Good clearance with the 32x11.50's using OME 882s and the trim packer.
IMG_7141.jpg

All done. For right now it sits very level with essentially no rake. Once I add a bumper and winch up from we'll see how it sits. I still have the top out spacers that were removed with the old suspension that I can add back in in necessary to get it leveled out again.
IMG_7140.jpg

amocaT

Adventurer
Nice write. Can't wait to see what your feedback on the new OME sport will be. I've been thinking about getting those.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Looking slick Adam :cool:

Bummer about the front spring bolts, did I mention that to you when you picked up the goods?

Box Rocket

Looking slick Adam :cool:

Bummer about the front spring bolts, did I mention that to you when you picked up the goods?

No worries, I'm sure you probably mentioned it when I picked them up but that's what happens when you wait a couple weeks before installing them. I'm sure I just forgot. The ironic thing was that Ryan did the same thing with his Tundra front coils and forgot too. Oh well. All's well that ends well.

Edit: Just realized you were probably talking about the rear spring hanger bolts being seized. Yes you did mention that for sure. That was the first thing I tried when I got started was to see if those bolts would spin or not. Nope. So I got a couple from Menlove Toyota and went back to work. No biggie. Put a little antiseize on the bolts when I put the new ones in.

Kurt,
I have another question. In your experience have you found it necessary to extend the rear brake line with this setup? When I had the rear springs out of the truck the brake line in the photo below that runs from the driverside frame down to the bracket on the axle with the two hardlines was getting tight. I wasn't sure if there would be enough flex on the trail to stretch it that far again or not. Thoughts?
IMG_2697.jpg

Have an alignment scheduled for Wed morning. And ordered the diff drop from Cornfed this morning.

Last edited:

AlexJet

Explorer
CV's look to be a little steep. Diff drop will be installed in the next week or so once I get it here.
IMG_7139.jpg

Yes, I'd look into this. I had adjusted my CV to high angle and one of the boot holded only 2'000km and it was a brand new boot, while original did 75'000km on regular 3" suspension just fine.
Do it while its not too late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94