bought our truck, starting a huge new build!

snowcat

Hi All, I am just completing a home-built camper of similar construction. I used many tubes of Sikaflex 252 adhesive to attach China made "E Panels". The panels are made with a 3 mil plastic solid core with aluminum bonded to both sides, painted at the factory, white. I sourced the (substrate) E Panels from Montroy Sign Products in Reno/ Sparks, Nevada. I used the panels inside and outside with aluminum trim. I like the look and the panels should hold up well. They cost about $50. each (4' x 8'). For the roof and the front I used a similar product with a 1/2" plywood core for added strength. I found this substrate at Montroy also. This product was easy to work with and I was able to cut it like wood- I used a fine tooth blade with my circ. saw.

Jfet

Adventurer
Hi All, I am just completing a home-built camper of similar construction. I used many tubes of Sikaflex 252 adhesive to attach China made "E Panels". The panels are made with a 3 mil plastic solid core with aluminum bonded to both sides, painted at the factory, white. I sourced the (substrate) E Panels from Montroy Sign Products in Reno/ Sparks, Nevada. I used the panels inside and outside with aluminum trim. I like the look and the panels should hold up well. They cost about $50. each (4' x 8'). For the roof and the front I used a similar product with a 1/2" plywood core for added strength. I found this substrate at Montroy also. This product was easy to work with and I was able to cut it like wood- I used a fine tooth blade with my circ. saw.

Hi snowcat! I am somewhat frustrated with the Sikaflex 252. Well, mostly with the primer 210. I bought 4 bottles at $50 each and two of them were gelled solid when I opened them even though they didn't even expire for another month. On the other bottles, which expire oct 2013, I used 3/4 of a bottle closed it up well, and the next day it too was gelled. I did some testing with and without the 205 and 210 primer, and the 210 primer definately helps adhesion to aluminum and steel. Without the primer you can peel off the sikaflex, but with the primer you are not getting it off without a cutting tool.

At $50 a bottle, you would have hoped they would have some method of dispensing it or prolonging the life past 24 hours...and I don't understand why 2 bottles would be bad when brand new.

I think I am going to end up having spent $1500 or more just on stupid Sikaflex

Jfet

Adventurer
Finally finished the skinning. Used 90 odd tubes of Sikaflex 252 and 6 bottles of 205 and 210 primer. Adding 2" of TSX-8500 polyisocyanurate R13 exposure rated insulation to walls, floor and ceiling right now. Still need to cut out some window and hatch openings, but they are all framed and skinned. Hard to believe a few months ago this was a pile of metal on the garage floor....it is HUGE now. Good first MIG welding project...beats an ashtray!

skinned.jpg

floorinsulation.jpg

loft.jpg

Jfet

Adventurer
Approaching the one year point, the camper is slowly nearing completion. We finished the insulation, skinning, installed a continuous seamless aluminum roof, covered that and the edges with Raptor truck bed liner, then shot the whole thing with 2k epoxy automobile paint. Now we are working on the interior and installing the important things like water tanks, heater, stove, fridge.

alumroof1.jpgrapter2.jpgrapter3.jpgpaint3.jpgheadboard1.jpg

alan

Explorer
WOW!!! 90 tubes of sikaflex! looks good!!! the bed liner is a good idea, i'm about to coat my fuel tanks with this product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke