Bought a LX470 - I have questions

Saenzm

Team,
I bought a 2000 LX470 this week and I have a few questions. I bought it before i knew that the 2003 had a different transmission and a little more power.

My use case is: daily driver with the ability to go explore here in Colorado. I am new to Colorado and wanted to build a rig that can get me out remote places my 4x4 Suburban would struggle to get to.

It's 2000 model with 160K on the clock and serviced at a Lexus dealership it's whole life. Interior is a solid 8.5 and exterior is a 9. Picked it up for $10,500.

Questions:
Is the 5 speed tranny better?

If I lift it, would the Old Man Emu suffice or should I go with the K53082 Icon Performance Shock System stage 2? There is a 1k difference between the two kits.

I was going to upgrade the headunit, mailnly for backup camera and handsfree calling, but the audio shop says because I have a curved OEM headunit and the Nakamichi sound system, it adds some costs and complexities that may not make it worth upgrading. On some of these Overlanding videos, I see most people have tablets and other gadgets installed, so do I even need to upgrade the headunit? Is there another route I can go?

Are there any other things I should take into consideration with this 2000 model before I start putting more money in her?

Thanks for your help here.

20180706_153737.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Sell it and put a supercharger on your suburban.. and a small lift with good wheels and tires.....

how is that luxo cruiser better than a suburban? It's not... The integrated side steps alone destroy any off-road clearance...and an enemic engine..at any altitude

Get out before you spend $20k+ on upgrades... The suburban with a few mods is very capable, reliable and practical for colorado

Spoken like someone with no idea what they are talking about. Sure, your suburban can be upgraded to be ok off road, but the LX will go far beyond what a moderately built sub will do in bone stock form. You can put some good AT tires like a Cooper ST Maxx or BFG KO2 on the LX in 285/75-16 and put the AHC in “hi” mode and go 95% of the places anaverage explorer wants to go. Land Cruisers are incredible machines right out of the box. With good tires they go where you’d never expect. I would however remove the “integrated side steps” as David called them. Since they are not “integrated” at all.

To answer your suspension question a bit more succinctly, I’d go with the AHC for a little bit (unless it’s non functioning) and if you really don’t like it, OME is a great suspension. You will want to do a dif drop in the front.

Call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters or Christo at Slee Offroad and discuss your plans. Either one can help you out, (Kurt is a site sponsor and great guy).

onemanarmy

Explorer
I'm a HUGE fan of land cruisers....but a Suburban, with slightly cranked torsion bars, add a leaf, some good shocks, skidplates, and great tires, and you've got a great rig that will go anywhere a 100 series will go (Suburban only limited by length)

You;d want all that stuff on the Cruiser also to venture far off the road.

The year 2000 engine and transmission is plenty strong. With the 5 speed you get a very slight increase in MPG on the hiway.

If you decide to keep it, read everything you can at ih8mud.com. You'll learn more than you'd ever need to know.

tienckb

Adventurer
The series 100 was Toyota’s flag ship lineup. Way overbuilt in all categories. They are practically all over the world utilized in some of the harshest environment imaginable. The UN’s vehicle of choice.

Contact Slee for an AHC override lift, add 33’s then go have fun.

Surbs are great people hauler rig, cheap to maintain and mod but NO comparison to the quality build of a Land Cruiser.

So your research at ih8mud.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v_man

Explorer
Found a pic of Davidl13's suburban online. Not gonna lie, it's pretty sweet.

ow8oZs3.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Disregard almost everything the fànatic guy above said...

Nothing wrong with a Land cruiser.. you already have a Suburban.

The lx is slow as crap.
Yes the Toyota fanatics are rabid... it’s a common tale

I wasn’t going to respond to the stupidity, but feel I have to. I have owned multiple Suburbans, K2500s, fullsize Blazers, F250s, F350s and Dodge 1500s, 2500s and 3500s. I have also owned many Land Cruisers. I am not a “fanatic” for any brand. What I am however, is an educated and intelligent consumer. I appreciate quality in the products I spend my hard earned money on.

He also already has a Land Cruiser. What’s your point?

The LX is not “slow as crap”, unless you are comparing it to a Corvette. But why would you do that? Oh, right. That’s why...

And finally, if you hate Toyota “fanatics” so much, why are you spending so much effort arguing in the Toyota Land Cruiser Forum? You’re like those people who hate dogs, yet insist on going to the one park in a city where dogs are allowed to be off leash so you can complain and be bitter about it. Maybe head back to the domestic section and leave us “fanatics” in peace???

VacMan1

There are very few people in this world, regardless of their current ride(s), who would object to the Land Cruiser platform being called one of the best ever made for reliability, parts availability, aftermarket support, and off-the-lot capability. You're one of the few who disagrees....fine...but next time before you post maybe check the header at the top to see what sub you're in.

BTW, if you think a 100 series is slow with the 4.7l v8, try driving an 80 series with 35's and some weight on board. Positively glacial! But it will go wherever I point it without complaint and I know it will get me home every time. I don't care about 0-60 or top speed in my offroad vehicles.

VacMan1

how is that luxo cruiser better than a suburban? It's not... The integrated side steps alone destroy any off-road clearance...and an enemic engine..at any altitude
Well there's this for starters.

We get it, you love your Suburban. Awesome. But you're posting in a Toyota Land Cruiser subforum bagging on a dude's new Land Cruiser and then getting miffed when other Land Cruiser guys tell him he made a great decision and try to give him guidance about a vehicle he's obviously stoked about. If you don't see an issue with that, there's no helping you. Go back to e-fighting your own subs, no one here puts any weight into what you have to say.

tienckb

Adventurer
The series 100 was Toyota’s flag ship lineup. Way overbuilt in all categories. They are practically all over the world utilized in some of the harshest environment imaginable. The UN’s vehicle of choice.

Contact Slee for an AHC override lift, add 33’s then go have fun.

Surbs are great people hauler rig, cheap to maintain and mod but NO comparison to the quality build of a Land Cruiser.

So your research at ih8mud.com

Waste of money.. lateral maneuver at best for more cost...no benefit .. if you were in Africa.. yea, makes sense.. better parts supplies over there for the Toyota

The fool above drank some bad propoganda Kool aid..

No propaganda here, stating facts from personal experience.

My 2002 100 with 170k miles is still as smooth, quiet, and rattle free when It rolled off the show room.

And yes, that’s after many years of off the beaten path and wheeling adventures.

blatant1

I just clicked into this thread and it's ashame how quickly it can go off the tracks... feel bad for the op as it's a nice, low mile LX.

This forum isn't what it once was, tragically.

tncamp

Saenzm,

Here is my 2000 LX470 with 200K that I recently took to Moab. If the AHC is working good I would leave it and get the Slee over ride height control as mentioned above which will allow you to keep it in high over 25 mph. In the picture below mine is in High mode and has 285/75/15 BFG KO2s. I do not have the Slee over ride but it would have been nice to keep it in high the few times I increased my speed while on the White Rim Trail. We also have a 2004 Land Cruiser without AHC which does not ride as good as the LX470. If you are not going to overload it I would stay with the AHC as long as possible.

LX470 White Rim 2.jpg

tacollie

Glamper
I have no ahc experience but I used to have a 100 OME that rode awesome. For Colorado I would look at some rock sliders. 100s are kind of low. Besides that enjoy the 100! They are cool vehicles. Even with 285 and way to much armor ours always held the speed limit over passes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles