Bought a Clam Quick Set Traveler screen room

CSG

Explorer
I'd been looking at these as an alternative to adding an awning to either of my rigs. The idea of a 6'x6' screen room that sets up and breaks down quickly appealed to me. I found one locally at Sportsman's Warehouse and bought it for $180. Took me 3-4 minutes to set up (probably would have been their claimed time of 45 seconds had I read the instructions). Breakdown is almost as easy. Room for two chairs and a table (depending on the size of them but should comfortably keep two people in the shade and bugfree. Quality seems good as many reviewers have said. This is their smallest size and as many of my trips are solo 1-2 days up in the SNRA (Sawtooth NRA) here in Idaho, this is perfect for the LX to carry inside.

Other larger models available: https://shop.quicksetshelters.com/traveler-screen-tent.html

clam_brown_traveler_left_open_hr.webp

Last edited:

frans

Adventurer
How sturdy is it? Strong enough to clamp a tarp to the side? We use a Mylar woven sun Shade tarp at dog competitions

CSG

Explorer
Pretty sturdy. As to clamping a tarp to it, I suppose it depends on how you clamp it and secure it. I'd call Clam and ask. I bought this instead of a tarp. This is, for all intents and purposes a tarp AND screen room. You might want the next size up which is 9'x9'. I think it's called the Voyager.

CSG

Explorer
I am surprised there seems to be so little interest in these from the overlanding crowd. I know there's not much active traffic here anymore but I still thought this was such a great alternative to an awning, especially for those who have the side panels like the awnings and panels from ARB. This is so much quicker to deploy plus gives you added bug protection and is way less expensive.

CSG

Explorer
You know, I included a link to the website and the item. I'll bet you can find the answer there. But it fits crosswise behind my second row seats of the LX so maybe 52-53" x 8-9".

CSG

Explorer
The one I got is good for one or two. I like the larger sizes but, as you say, they pack big. My view on the Traveler is that compared to a tarp on most SUVs, the 6'x6'x6'8" is a better option and doesn't have to be carried on a roof rack creating drag. If I can't carry something inside my vehicle, it doesn't go. Once set up, no bugs and, at worst, if one doesn't have the panels, filtered sunlight on the sides. But I've never been an awning guy. On two RVs we've owned (5th wheels), we never once deployed our awning. For people like me, these Clam Quick Set screenrooms are ideal. I imagine if you stake it out in windier weather it can do better than 15 MPH and certainly better than most, if not all, awnings.

Grassland

At that price point it certainly seems to beat an awning. And the bugs around here are horrendous.
I've been using a tarp and tieing it to my roof rack cross bars on my topper as a hold over until I decided on an awning. This might make better sense.

But it's not expo as ******* so I think I'd lose street cred lol

gdlals

We use the larger 5 sided version and have the optional wind panels. Absolutely love it. Handles high wind, sets up and tears down fast. Only downside is it is pretty large to pack.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
You know, I included a link to the website and the item. I'll bet you can find the answer there. But it fits crosswise behind my second row seats of the LX so maybe 52-53" x 8-9".
Most of the time, the dimensions are wrong or are optimistic - so independent validation is always prefered. saw and read the link...thx

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

CSG

Explorer
At that price point it certainly seems to beat an awning. And the bugs around here are horrendous.
I've been using a tarp and tieing it to my roof rack cross bars on my topper as a hold over until I decided on an awning. This might make better sense.

But it's not expo as ******* so I think I'd lose street cred lol
It beats the hell out of an awning IMO. I've done the same as you but you have no flexibility with awning as the sun moves. With the smaller versions of these Clam Quick Set shelters, you can easily move them unless you've staked them down. But because the no-see-um screens are dark, they filter sunlight anyway. The Gazelle tent is a tent variation on this design theme. That should give some of us a little more overland cred!

https://www.gazelletents.com/Camping-Tents

0010538_4-person-gazelle-t4-hub-tent-alpine-green_600.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles