Both front coils broken on a 2013 JKU with 25k

kchristian

Adventurer
Like the title says, I have a 2013 JKU with busted coils. I live on Vieques, a small island next to Puerto Rico, and most of the 25k miles have been put on at or near a beach. Rust is an issue for sure. But still I've never heard of coils busting like this. Especially not two at the same time. Something has to be up, right?

Has anyone seen this before?

Also, do you guys think I need to take my spidertrax spacers and 285/75-16's off before taking it to the dealer? Will they try and blame it on the spacers and slightly oversized tires?

This is the drivers side. It's broken down at the bottom. (right side of the picture, not sure why it's posting sideways...)
IMG_9817.jpg

1stDeuce

Explorer
That's interesting. If they both broke right there at the bottom, I'd say it's a manufacturing problem... That's a fairly high stress area for the spring, but I don't see any rust issues that I consider excessive. My guess is there is a material strength problem... Assuming you didn't put spacers in it and mis-align the bottom of the spring and cause a high stress point, I think Jeep's got a problem that they really need to cover under your warranty. If you have stock tires to put on, I would, just so they don't have anything that could possibly let them off the hook. I honestly don't see how changing tires would affect the spring life one little bit, so if you don't have other tires, just go in and call BS if they complain about oversize tires. Lots of guys running oversize tires w/o broken springs!

Chris

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
New coils are pretty cheap if you do need to replace them - not sure is you can get a set of take-offs from someone like here in the states though.

Are you running a heavy bumper or winch? Lots of washboard roads? Seems odd... Thats also a lot of miles for driving on a small island!

I've seen towtruck drivers hook straps on coil springs before - wonder if it was something stupid like that on the trip down there?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Has a buddy borrowed your Jeep? And maybe jumped it off a berm or sand dune? I agree that it's not rust related. That undercarriage is still quite pretty and new looking

anviljk

Adventurer
Mazda3's are notorious for the springs breaking at the same location, although it is usually a smaller chunk. Should be still in warranty. Call a dealer and ask if a broken spring would be a warrantable failure if you have a aftermarket bumper and larger tires.

kchristian

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies. The Jeep is stock besides the spacers and tires. There are definitely some washboard roads around here. I rent it to house guests, so who knows what its been put through. I highly doubt its been jumped off a dune but I'm positive it has hit some big potholes at speed. (Well not too much speed. The highest speed limit on the island is 35.)

I've looked into take-offs on the JK forums. There are plenty of options but shipping will be a little pricey. Obviously I'd rather have the dealer take care of it. I guess I'll just give the dealer a call and ask before I take the ferry over.

Malarkey21

I would have a look at your dampers too. They could be the reason for broken springs if they are blown out, (washboard roads create very high wheel velocities and force) or could be damaged after the springs have been broken. Just a thought since it sounds like you are not too close to a dealership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke