Born Free 4x4

rawtoxic

I would have hard time choosing between this or the overlander unit at similar price. IMO Build quality of Born Free probably better but Overlander has better stance and layout.

Niceviews

I’m looking into making this purchase. Spoke with the owner and did a video walk around. While I’m not looking for an rv to wheeling with, I do like the true 4 wheel drive and the possibility to do a super singles conversion.
‘I’m looking to be able to easily do ski trips and some beach camping, as well as the normal parks etc. does anyone have first hand knowledge of how this would do in snow and sand?
‘I guess I’m curious if anyone has any pros or cons associated with this rig based on first hand experience. I’m new into RVs and have tried to do my research best I can, but am always open to hearing what other people have to say.
thanks

jkam

nomadic man
I saw an RV built on the F 550 and went to check it out.
I don't think it was a Born Free, but similar.
The thing had fiberglass skirting around it to cover over some of the RV stuff and give a few small compartments.
The worst part was how low and exposed the tank outlets were.
Too bad, because otherwise it was pretty nice.

Born Free had a great reputation for building a quality RV. They got into trouble when they expanded their line using the F 550 chassis.
It must have been an expensive thing to do as it put them under within a few years of implementing it.

As for super singles. I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to do. I'd be more inclined to do a Kelderman airbag suspension first yo get some lift.

Good luck if you do buy it.

Photobug

I’m looking into making this purchase. Spoke with the owner and did a video walk around. While I’m not looking for an rv to wheeling with, I do like the true 4 wheel drive and the possibility to do a super singles conversion.
‘I’m looking to be able to easily do ski trips and some beach camping, as well as the normal parks etc. does anyone have first hand knowledge of how this would do in snow and sand?
‘I guess I’m curious if anyone has any pros or cons associated with this rig based on first hand experience. I’m new into RVs and have tried to do my research best I can, but am always open to hearing what other people have to say.
thanks

With no first hand experience but I own one similar to this and have been asking about it as i just bought it and about to take my first trip. I would guess it weighs 12,000 lbs plus and don't think it would do too well in deep sand, especially beach condtions. For snow i would think keeping it dually would be better, but mine is 2wd.

Photobug

As for super singles. I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to do. I'd be more inclined to do a Kelderman airbag suspension first yo get some lift.

Good luck if you do buy it.

I would guess it has some airbags, at least my 2009 Born Free does, and I would think came that way as it is otherwise stock. Are the Kelderman airbags superior to others?

94-RUNNER

Over The Hill
I think that I would also stick with the duals. Super singles are nice but if you have a flat the unit can go directly onto the wheel and if you are moving down the road it will destroy the wheel and possibly other body parts. With duals one goes flat the other tire can keep the unit up and preventing additional damage so that you can make a to a place to get the flat repaired instead of being stuck somewhere. Just food for thought.

Niceviews

Thanks for the replies. I doubt I’d do anything right away, living with it and see what I need first. I think the current owner got quotes for the conversion. That’s why I included it in thoughts. I’d read some pros and cons of it so far, but otherwise dont know anyone with firsthand experience with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne