Boot recommendation

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I need a couple of boot recommendations.

First, something for my kids. Nothing too expensive because they tend to outgrow items rapidly.

Second, and more importantly, for my wife. She is a city-slicker so they need to really add to the experience of being outdoors, hiking, etc.

Thanks!

nobodyspecial

Observer
I have no recommendations for the kids, but how much are you looking to spend for your wife? She is not gonna outgrow them so you could spend some more. I would take a look at Danner boots.

I wore Danners exclusively on both my tours overseas, and I will not wear anything else.

http://www.danner.com/

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I have no recommendations for the kids, but how much are you looking to spend for your wife? She is not gonna outgrow them so you could spend some more. I would take a look at Danner boots.

I wore Danners exclusively on both my tours overseas, and I will not wear anything else.

http://www.danner.com/

Wow, huge selection! I don't want to say "money is no object" but the reality is that if momma is happy, daddy is happy.:elkgrin:

I shudder to say this but I need something that is both comfortable to wear in the vehicle all day and looks styling with her outfits. I can't believe I just said that. Now I'll probably have to start another thread on stylish clothing to buy her...:coffee:

bucketosudz

Explorer
Check out some of KEEN's Boot's and Shoe's for another idea for your wife and kid's. I have seen some of them wear like Iron and do well for some in the stylish category. FWIW.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
For the kids, check out Timberland.com

you might find something for your wife too.

Zatara

Adventurer
For boots I have Red Wings and Danner.
For hiking boots nothing has been better than my Keens. Keens are my everyday shoes and boots.
For the kids, we have always found Merrells on sale somewhere and they hold up well and are priced right.

Alchemyguy

Observer
Hmm, stylish, comfortable *and* trail-ready?

Seriously though, Garmont is one of the best for serious hiking/backpacking duty. Two of my friends, my wife and I have put many, many km backpacking with ours (varying models between us) and they've been bombproof. I like Danners and Magnums as day-to-day utility boots, but I wouldn't go for a serious hike in them, personally.

The key to footwear, IMHO, is applying the right tool to the job. I'll wear something light and comfortable in the vehicle and strap on the big guns when you hit the trail. I don't wear my hiking boots and then drive; I drive in my sandals and put the boots on at the trailhead. If I'm going to have to work and drive, my Magnums are rugged enough for the job. Same around camp; the hiking boots come off and sandals or camp shoes let my feet air out and relax. I'd rather not press one pair of footwear into all roles and have them be mediocre at all of them.

No clues for the kidlets though.

User_Name

Adventurer
Be careful ordering Danners, many of them are now made in China, if you look on the website and it doesn't specifically state MADE IN USA then it is most likely imported, that too me is misleading and I quit buying Danner when my last pair a couple years back came in a box with a Made in China stamp which were ordered from the website that had all this Yadda yadda about quality craftsmen and pride since 19xx crap.
It would have been one thing if it was posted on the boot page as being imported, but it wasn't and last time I looked they still ummmmmmmmm forget to tell you until it is delivered.

nobodyspecial

Observer
Be careful ordering Danners, many of them are now made in China, if you look on the website and it doesn't specifically state MADE IN USA then it is most likely imported, that too me is misleading and I quit buying Danner when my last pair a couple years back came in a box with a Made in China stamp which were ordered from the website that had all this Yadda yadda about quality craftsmen and pride since 19xx crap.
It would have been one thing if it was posted on the boot page as being imported, but it wasn't and last time I looked they still ummmmmmmmm forget to tell you until it is delivered.
Just like most other places, they have their "high end" line, made in America, and their cheaper, "lower end" boots that are outsourced. Just buy the good ones, its easy.

As for the Oakley boots. I tried a pair and mine fell apart. I switched back to my Danner Desert Acadias, that have almost two years of Iraq time on them, and they are still in great shape.

Ramjet

Explorer
I need a couple of boot recommendations.

First, something for my kids. Nothing too expensive because they tend to outgrow items rapidly.

Second, and more importantly, for my wife. She is a city-slicker so they need to really add to the experience of being outdoors, hiking, etc.

Thanks!

With the kids, you could go with Keen. They are super comfortable and usually have velcro for the wee little ones and pull tight elastic for the older kids. For your wife, go with whatever fits and she likes. Keen or Salomon. If you are not doing any kind of heavy backpacking, then you can actually get away with a pair of trail running shoes. If you are backpacking, then go with a higher cut boot, but thats only needed when the weight is over 35 lbs or so.

I work in the outdoor industry and have over 15 years exp. in fitting boots and shoes. Heavy leather boots are just that. Heavy. Go to a respectable outdoor store ie.. REI, Backwoods, EMS, etc.. They will be able to help you and make sure that the boots fit and are comfortable for what your intended use is. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles