Boomer the Quadravan 4x4 Camper

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
spencyg said:
Thanks for your thoughts. I feel we would agree on things around a campfire which is always a good thing.

We're not that far apart. Maybe one day we'll cross paths. If you ever plan to come close to your northern border with Quebec/Canada, shoot me a message.

Last edited:

Choptop

Recently purchased a '90 Airstream B190, it is not a "Boomer the Quadravan 4x4 Camper", but I love her, lol. Your work is inspiring, keep it up.

tony326

building a 4x4 van boomer type

i been following boomer he has inspired me to build a van staring in June 2018 i will build a 4x4 camper/work van (the ultimate work van) using all boomer modifications, full camping capability,stove,microwave, sink,toilet,bed,water,110 power,heating and use it for a work van with a 4x8 clear section inside for hauling motorcycles, ATV,plywood,tools boxes,etc., i have a 88 E350 diesel ford van ambulance (not the box type) i been collecting camper, accessories parts from wrecking yards for a year. i have a donor quadravan 4x4 for parts. will follow boomer in 2018 for ideals, i will start a tread on my build in June.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Epic build thread dude. What has happened to Boomer in 2018? I purchased an '87 Quadravan today....and am therefore extremely interested in what you are doing with Boomer.

You have a really cool rig!

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Thanks and congratulations on your purchase. You won't regret it....eventually ;)

Boomer just came out of winter storage last week and I'm about to install new steel wheels after the alloy Eagle 058's started failing (cracked in half) on our Newfoundland adventure last year. I have some engine work (re-tightening head studs) and some suspension work (re-thinking the manner in which the trailing arms connect to the front axle) to do, but nothing too major. We don't have a big trip planned for 2018 so I'll be taking my time. You can follow #boomerthecampervan on IG for updates. I don't spend time on ExPo anymore.

SG

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Thought I'd poke back in here just to say all is well in the life and times of #boomerthecampervan. The old girl didn't get a ton of use this summer due to adventures with our new boat...

...but to say she was fully ignored wouldn't be truthful. The new wheels were a great upgrade from the tired old alloys. At first I wasn't sure about the new look, but its grown on me.

I've got a trip planned in a couple weeks so I'm currently addressing the 10 year old airbag mounts which have started failing. Those initial projects weren't done with the highest level of future consideration, so I'm glad I've dug into the old mounts and brought them up to snuff.

We're actually going to try some winter activities this year. Previously I've really tried to stay out of the salt due to rust issues, but I've been so impressed with Fluid Film that I'm going to just give her the beans before the flakes start flying and hope for the best. We've got a shakedown winter trip planned for January, and then a trip into Canada for February. Should be an interesting change of pace.

Anyway, there were rumors flying around that Boomer was sold, crashed, destroyed, parted out, blah blah blah. None of it is true. I've mostly stepped away from Forums and from group-type overlanding in general. Boomer has always been about family adventures, and that is what she continues to do.

SG

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Loving the new look with the blacked out wheels. Which ones did you go with? Can't tell from the pic.

This continues to be one of my top 5 fave threads on here and this van has been an inspiration.

I ended up buying a truck instead of a van, and will need new wheels and tires in the next year. It's got silver aluminum wheels now and I hate the look. Found some nice, black, aluminum wheels on craigslist, but would steel be a better choice for these larger vehicles (my truck is 3/4 ton)?

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
I think it was your DRAM posts that kinda kept me afloat in terms of not forgetting my dream of adventure while I was stuck in a cubicle. Thank you SG.

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
I'd love to hear about how the Fluidfilm works out. Two weeks in Montana added three years worth of rust under my van last year despite washing it more than once underneath.

gtbensley

Explorer
Put gallons of FF under it before the snow and salt comes and then spray it again after you have driven some. Needs a coating on EVERYTHING

First time a FF my ambo I probably put 4-5 gallons on it. Every year it gets touched back up with 1-2 gallons.

Last edited:

lt1fire

Adventurer
How does this thing do in the rough stuff... it seems like it would be very top heavy.

Not talking about rock crawling but some off camber ruts can easily be found on fire roads around here.

One day i'll have a 4x4 van just like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles