Boltrippers Khaya Camper Build

Boltripper

I wanted this build to help showcase the Alu-Cab Khaya build that we completed on my 2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Access Cab. The truck was built purposefully around the Khaya and the ability to use the truck as a capable daily driver, but have the ability to load the camper and head out for extended periods.

The full truck build thread is located here: Boltrippers Tacoma Build

The build thread specifically speaks to the trucks modifications to get it prepared for the trip to see @rino at OK4WD in Stewartsville, NJ to take delivery of the Khaya. The thread will also outline the modifications and additions to the camper over time.

Thanks for watching and please let me know if you have any questions, or if you would like to see a Khaya in person in the Southeast prior to purchasing one.

Certainly appreciate Rin and everyone at Ok4WD for getting this done during these Covid times. While I live in Birmingham, AL I'm originally born and raised in the South Hills of Pittsburgh, PA. So cutting the trip in half, I went back to Pittsburgh to see family and then got a chance to drive to NJ and spend the day with Rin to get educated on the Khaya and get the install completed.

IMG_20200427_113227.jpg

IMG_20200427_115900.jpg

IMG_20200427_145944.jpg

Rin's Colorado with the Canopy Camper is just awesome!

IMG_20200427_152426.jpg

IMG_20200427_153418.jpg

IMG_20200613_074537.jpg

IMG_20200613_134955.jpg

Thanks again for following along.

Cheers,

john~

Last edited:

ITTOG

Truck and camper looks good. How is it connected to the truck? It looks like two eyebolts inside the bed in one of the pictures. Assume the same on the other side.

Boltripper

Truck and camper looks good. How is it connected to the truck? It looks like two eyebolts inside the bed in one of the pictures. Assume the same on the other side.

The Tacoma has a set of 10mm steel bars that bolt to the bed of the truck and cradle the camper (One at the front and one behind the rear wheels). The camper is then slid into the bed and attaches with chains and D-Rings or Carbiners.

IMG_20200629_172407.jpg

IMG_20200522_165752.jpg

Boltripper

So, I'll apologize now but I want to show this camper, setup and additions in a heavier level of detail. So if you will bear with me this will have a slower progression as I'd like to have more detailed photos and even some videos of the camper and its detail.

I would also like this to be a dedicated thread that you can ask specific questions or make specific requests to see things in more detail. I'll do my best to accommodate those requests and get @rino involved if required.

First, lets not be shy, but this is a big purchase for anyone. I think it imperative to take everything into consideration before going down this route. The newer canopy camper is a great product and the price point is also significantly less.

Having said that, there are many pros and cons for each platform. For me, I liked the thought of designing and building out the interior in a more custom layout if I went canopy, but while I'm very mechanically inclined, wood working is not my forte'. The Khaya is well thought-out, and like anything it will never meet all our needs perfectly. To start, I'm a solo traveler. My wife just isn't into Overlanding or camping and that's totally cool and both my girls are now at the age where they are into other things... So, Space for 1 is really all I need.

The Khaya provides ample room for inside meal prep with a Dometic HSG 2445 dual burner hob and sink combination and the capacity to have a 60L Fridge / Freezer co-located just to the left of the stove and sink. Below the sink is a slide out cutting board, that would be much better suited as an additional pull out drawer. Below the pull out cutting board is (2) drawers for cutlery, utensils and spices as an example. below that is a zipper compartment with enough room for a small portable toilet, paper towels or other under sink type supplies.

IMG_20200502_112913.jpg

IMG_20200502_112655.jpg

This brings me to how Alu-Cab saves weight on this type of camper and that is the use of canvas type fabric Vs. traditional wood or aluminum drawer and cabinet design. The entire campers interior is with their signature gray fabric trimmed in orange. Its nice, but if you are an Alabama fan and not an Auburn Tiger fan this might cause some angst.. I'm originally from Pittsburgh, so college football doesn't really do it for me. I prefer the black and gold with skates and fights on the ice.

IMG_20200502_113032.jpg

The front of the camper has some ample storage compartments, one is enough for a full size front runner with a large plastic tote on top, plus room for sleeping gear or other bags. This is where I store my dry food and larger bulky gear.

The 21 Gallon fresh water tank is mounted below this section making it with the lowest center of gravity possible and its also centered in the camper. Nicely done~

The floor section is where the house battery lives, a Group 31 AGM and also the Duetto electric hot water heater. With the camper using propane for the stove, I was hopeful that the water heater would also be propane, but after using the electric unit its nice to get an uninterrupted flow of hot water as unlike propane, the electric unit holds and preheats about 3 gallons. I just turn it on about 15 minutes prior to reaching camp and I'm ready for a hot shower when I arrive. The obvious drawback is that you'll need to run the truck if stationary to heat the water as it would be too much for the battery system.

The drivers side of the interior has a place on the floor with a bracket for front runner chairs. (2) button head bolts and it was easily removed and now my Partner Steel 18" dual burner stove fits nicely in that spot, out of the way.

IMG_20200502_112621.jpg

IMG_20200502_112958.jpg

Above that area, under the cushion is a storage spot for other items such as clothing or smaller camping gear. Finally next to the entrance is a larger lower area where I keep a large first aid kit and boots / shoes. The compartment above the floor section has keeps the Shadow Awn, Awning Gutter and I keep a full 2 sets of terrycloth bath towels, washcloths and basic towels for around camp.

IMG_20200502_113018.jpg

One really cool, well thought out feature was the coffee pass through. Just above the cushion in the above section is a swing in access door that holds mugs, cups and 3 nice size Tupperware containers. This will open through the inside of the camper so I can get coffee going without having to leave the interior of the camper in inclement weather, or I'm just too lazy to get out in the morning.

IMG_20200502_112935.jpg

The space between the seating area and stove / sink / fridge are is ample, but I would have loved for a few more inches to be given to the interior seats. Alu-Cab could have shrunk the door a few inches on each side and still provided a good middle pass through section while increasing cushion size. Again, give and take in any product and situation, but overall the interior of the campers footprint is not cramped by any means.

Cheers,

John

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I really do dig the Khaya layout. How wide is that bench? Looks like you'd need to double it width wise to sleep someone downstairs...

Boltripper

I really do dig the Khaya layout. How wide is that bench? Looks like you'd need to double it width wise to sleep someone downstairs...

Herbie -

The width of the seating section is 11"

The 2 sleeper Khaya was never developed for someone to sleep "downstairs" so to speak, but I agree from a need to possibly stealth camp or just to sit long way's and read or work a minimum of 14" would be a great balance.

Cheers,

J~

Boltripper

This post will show how the exterior of the camper comes from the factory. This is without any modifications done my me, which I'll share a bit later.

My specs:

2-Sleeper Pack
Table Slide Holder w/ Table
Shower Slide Out
Shower Duck Board
Duetto Water Heater
Planar Diesel Air Heater
Cupboard Gas Bottle Mount
Shovel Mount
Left Hand Shadow Awn w/ Mounting Brackets and Gutter
Exterior 11lb Propane Mount
1450mm Low Profile Load Bars
Sun Flare 126W Solar Panel
Side Prep Table
TraxTable With Mounts
Odyssey Group 31 AGM
National Luna 60L Fridge and Freezer

IMG_20200502_112518.jpg

IMG_20200502_112502.jpg

IMG_20200502_112851.jpg

IMG_20200502_112455.jpg

IMG_20200502_113053.jpg

cheers,

john~

Boltripper

One of my first issues encountered was that I was running my spare under the truck and I opted to not have the tire swing-out. Well, this is where my trash carrier rode on the Land Cruiser. So I set out to make something that would work with the Khaya. The rear drivers side was taken by the exterior propane tank, so I made a trash carrier for the passenger side that attached to the hard molle panel.

Takes a standard kitchen bag and is expandable. I'll probably try to add a RotopaX fuel carrier in that same spot and with the attachment system I made, it should also mount to the RotopaX.

IMG_20200525_095518.jpg

IMG_20200525_095055.jpg

IMG_20200524_210128.jpg

Boltripper

Next I really wanted some air movement in the Khaya. I really appreciate the bullet proof nature of the camper, but I would love to have a multi-speed fan in the roof. I wasn't ready to cut one myself (Yet), so I went with a Caframo Sirocco II Marine Fan.

Its a 3 speed fan with manageable draw of .11, .14 and .34 amps
The fan moves a fair bit of air at 90, 115 and 140 cfm

So far I like it and its Shih Tzu approved.

IMG_20200530_102705.jpg

Stows well out of the way when not being used.

IMG_20200530_133645.jpg

I had to modify mounting to not interfere with mattress.

IMG_20200530_133612.jpg

The mounting location pulls a good bit of air from outside and should also help circulate heat in the colder months.

IMG_20200530_133327.jpg

IMG_20200530_132110.jpg

Last edited:

Boltripper

Next it was time to add some carpet over the painted wood flooring. I went with an indoor outdoor carpet, cut it to fit the cabin and installed snaps that were secured to the floor. This way it can easily be unsnapped, removed and cleaned outside the Khaya.

IMG_20200522_170810.jpg

I then wanted to add some 120V power inside the camper. I ran a 400 W WAGAN Tech in my Land Cruiser for 7 years and it never gave me any issues, so this time I went with a 1000 W so I can run my grinder and frother among other things. I know, first world problems......

IMG_20200516_172217.jpg

I added a wall socket that included 3 - 120V plugs with 3 USB's

IMG_20200516_172602.jpg

The switched power from the inverter is also in the cabin and in the pic below, you can see it above the power outlet. Great place to make lunch on the road.

IMG_20200613_131507.jpg

A C0 monitor was also added for safety.

IMG_20200516_172613.jpg

brookie0907

Great build and thread. The Khaya camper became my dream camper as soon as I saw one 2 years ago. By the time my dream truck, the Gladiator was available, other options seem to make more sense, but the Khaya is the best complete package in my mind. We just built our dream house in the woods and extra expenses take more consideration now. I know, lots of "dream" things. Anyway, I have the JT stock (except rear seat delete for our fridge) and am waiting on a GFC to be ready in early 2021. Weight is a consideration, as I want to keep the build light. I looked at the Canopy Camper, but the recommended permanent install and loss of the tailgate ruled that out. I want to be able to use my truck as a truck and don't have the storage space for a separate camper. I have a list of build items for my JT and will try to share as it comes together. Anyway, I look forward to your posts. Top shelf for sure.

I have a Khaya in Phoenix and I am very close to working up the nerve to add a fan. Just not 100% sure how I want to do it. Wish there was a vertical mount fantastic fan.

Also noticed you don’t have a hitch mounting point for the camper. Suppose that’s an added advantage of having a six foot bed. Currently my hitch is taken up with turn buckles.

Looking forward to more updates.

Boltripper

I have a Khaya in Phoenix and I am very close to working up the nerve to add a fan. Just not 100% sure how I want to do it. Wish there was a vertical mount fantastic fan.

Also noticed you don’t have a hitch mounting point for the camper. Suppose that’s an added advantage of having a six foot bed. Currently my hitch is taken up with turn buckles.

Looking forward to more updates.

Yea, I looked all over for different fans, but after looking at all the marine reviews this one seems like it moves a decent amount of air and with very little draw.

Yes, the truck was purchased specifically for the camper, so the 6' bed without the rear hitch mount buckles was mandatory.

Best,

John

Boltripper

Took some time last weekend to make a few changes to the hot water and water pump controls. I wanted something easier to see when it was dark, as the current flip switches are black plastic. I also didn't like the exposed back of the hot water tank switch in the upper shelf area and also wanted the ability to turn on the hot water from inside the camper if we are parked and connected to shore power.

I utilized some metal LED push switches with nice harnesses for wiring. The harness also makes switching them out easy in the event of a failure. I'll carry a spare or 2

The water pump was an easy switch out and I went with a Blue LED~

IMG_0053.jpg

For the how water I wired 2 Red LED switches together using a box. This way I can activate the water heater from inside and it also protects the back of the exterior switch from gear smashing against it.

IMG_0046.jpg

This shows the orientation of the external switch and the internal switch mounted on the side of the box. The 2 yellow wires on the bottom just represent where the stock wiring will enter the bottom of the box.
IMG_0044.jpg

Lots of different wiring configurations with this harness.
IMG_0046.jpg

Box installed. You can see the side switch facing forward. One thing I also like is that these can't be accidently activated like the toggle switches.
IMG_0049.jpg

I initially wanted black, but decided with the silver/bare metal color so they would stand out more against the black PC of the camper.
IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

1603809058737.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94