Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Off-Road.com just published a really nice review, check it out:
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/review/dinoot-offroad-trailer-review-53728.html

Uphill-Dinoot-Trailer-off-road-8-13-13.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another Dinoot tilt-up camper, Scott posted this on the Dinoot Facebook page the other day. Scott says the builder is planning a couple of months exploring the Yucatan Peninsula beaches with it.

BernieDinoot_zps8610d33e.jpg

akpostal

Adventurer
Im planning my build for when I get a M72 kit. I want to hinge the lid at the front of the trailer. Have a pull out kitchen and refer out the back with water storage in the front.. RTT on the lid, havent decided on what side or front back it opens. I want to be able to mount at least 2 5g gas cans as well as 2 33" or 35" tires to the trailer. The gas cans are pretty easy, Im not picturing a good way to do the tires.

I figure if your TrailTop design ever comes to market Ill build a second trailer.

Your hobby's are awesome.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Im planning my build for when I get a M72 kit. I want to hinge the lid at the front of the trailer. Have a pull out kitchen and refer out the back with water storage in the front.. RTT on the lid, havent decided on what side or front back it opens. I want to be able to mount at least 2 5g gas cans as well as 2 33" or 35" tires to the trailer. The gas cans are pretty easy, Im not picturing a good way to do the tires.

Making a lid for an M72 and hinging it at the front would be pretty straightforward. The cover would be easy to make from wood, unlike the Jeep-tub trailer the tub has no curves to deal with so it's all right angles. Here's a thread with info on building plywood covers for both the j-series Jeep-tub trailer kits and the m-series military kits: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-159.html

I'd suggest carrying the tires laying flat on the tongue, in place of the cargo box on my M72.

M72RTT5_zpsc37aa74e.jpg

You've probably seen the thread on the military trailer kit, but just in case here it is: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...lass-M416-M100-Military-style-Trailer-Tub-Kit There's lots of info on building one in that thread, and that's also a good place to post build ideas for it to get feedback.

About slides, I'm working on a slide project right now that I plan to fit and test in a trailer for both cargo usage and to build a pull-out kitchen. Please follow along and add any comments you might have so I can incorporate them into the design if appropriate: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/137700-The-ultimate-cargo-slide-tray

I figure if your TrailTop design ever comes to market Ill build a second trailer.

Your hobby's are awesome.

Thank you. At this point I don't plan to license the TrailTop system to any companies for production, sorry. I'm too busy with other projects now to have the time to work with a company on the TrailTop stuff. I am keeping all the TrailTop molds though, in case I ever decide I need to mold more parts in the future.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When I first designed the fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit, the inner fenders were designed to be bonded to the tub sides with fiberglass. It's a pretty simple process, using materials available at any auto parts store - wet the area with resin, put some fiberglass mat on the area to be bonded, soak the mat with resin, place the fender and weigh it down until it cures. It forms a very strong and structural part of the trailer tub.

FenderBonding_zpsnmmbt0rm.jpg

Apparently some people are hesitant to bond the fenders on with fiberglass because it's something they've never done before, so Scott at Compact Camping says he's getting ready to introduce new inner fenders for the kit that bolt in place.

002_zpsrubyq3nn.jpg

Here's what Scott says about the photo above:

This is the plug for a new Inner Fender mold design. One thing that caused some people concerns about building a J-Series Dinoot was fiberglassing the inner fenders in places. Fiberglassing isn’t a difficult skill to learn, but like anything new, there can be some apprehension.

To simplify the building process, I have development a bolt-in approach for attaching the Inner Fenders. Previously the mounting flange on the Inner Fenders went up. On the new ones it will go down and be bolted in place with hidden bolts.

Expect to have the mold ready for pulling test parts in around three week, stay tuned.
I'll post news on this development as I get it.

jeeper92

Adventurer
Is this a harbor freight trailer? Do you have any more info on the actual build of the trailer. I would like to build on a harbor freight trailer and put matching jeep tires on it. More for the look than anything else.

I was trying to reply to the first page post.....

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Is this a harbor freight trailer? Do you have any more info on the actual build of the trailer. I would like to build on a harbor freight trailer and put matching jeep tires on it. More for the look than anything else.

Yes, it's built on a Harbor Freight 1720-lb capacity heavy duty frame (not their smaller or lighter capacity frames), and it's modified from it's original 4x8 size down to a smaller size appropriate for this tub. I believe I covered the modifications earlier in this thread, it's pretty straightforward and no welding is required. If you have questions I haven't covered earlier in the thread I'm happy to answer them.

The modified frame with Jeep wheels and tires:

Tongue1.jpg

Behind the Jeep:

STTKwSafari3.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Overland Expo West is happening this week (5/20-22) in Flagstaff. I've learned that at least 2 Dinoots are scheduled to be there.

Sean, the owner of this one, will be teaching the Overland Trailers 101 class:

13241223_980540568711025_2330617825762117464_n.jpg

I hear this one will be in the Warn booth:

13240063_981069681991447_9188043010658027016_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles