Bolt in floor?

Coopsdaddy

Observer
What would you see the positive and negatives of bolting in a diamond tread alum floor in a steel framed trailer vs welding in a 16 ga steel floor.Both would be covered with raptor liner.
I see the weight savings a plus,being able to remove a plus,and not rusting.
I see the negatives being the cost.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Depending on the bolt location/design the bolt heads may interfere with easily sliding cargo back and forth. If you bolt down into the trailer frame, you may need a thick frame or some way to manage captures nuts to ensure that the bolts have enough to grab. Vibration of the bolts could be an issue as well. You are introducing a Seal that may need to be maintained, but mostly, bolting an aluminum floor to a steel frame will induce galvanic corrosion in the steel. Ask anyone with a series rover what this can
Look like. Short version- I personally wouldn’t.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If you are considering aluminum, I wouldnt dare paint or coat it.
Biggest benefit, right up there with weight, is essentially zero maintenance.
Don't ruin that with a paint or coating.

My steel framed flatbed is skinned with aluminum.

The deck is 1/4" aluminum tread plate that I had media blasted, layed on a bead of silicone, fastened with silicone coated stainless screws.

Big savings in weight over steel, will never rust, never needs paint, is "sticky", so loads stay put, but was $$$

48164987736_befafe3515_b.jpg

48164986326_d20f3a35bc_b.jpg

kwill

Observer
I have an aluminum floor that is riveted to an aluminum frame. I covered it with interlocking rubber gym flooring so it's easy to remove and clean. Raptor liner is heavy stuff if you're worried about weight.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Uh, raptor is most likely lighter than your rubber mats.... A single gallon (roughly 8lbs) will do en entire pickup bed, its only supposed to be layed 18 mils thick.

ITTOG

If you are considering aluminum, I wouldnt dare paint or coat it.
Biggest benefit, right up there with weight, is essentially zero maintenance.
Don't ruin that with a paint or coating.

My steel framed flatbed is skinned with aluminum.

The deck is 1/4" aluminum tread plate that I had media blasted, layed on a bead of silicone, fastened with silicone coated stainless screws.

Big savings in weight over steel, will never rust, never needs paint, is "sticky", so loads stay put, but was $$$

48164987736_befafe3515_b.jpg

48164986326_d20f3a35bc_b.jpg
Have you seen any corrosion on the aluminum where your stainless bolts contact it?

How long has it been together like that?

Did you add the silicon to the bolts yourself?

Sorry for all the questions but I am about to put aluminum skin on my steel framed cabover truck bed camper and haven't found a solution for the bolts. In between the steel bracing and the aluminum I will use VHB tape.

kwill

Observer
Uh, raptor is most likely lighter than your rubber mats.... A single gallon (roughly 8lbs) will do en entire pickup bed, its only supposed to be layed 18 mils thick.

Uh, the EVA foam tiles I used weighed about 8 oz.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Have you seen any corrosion on the aluminum where your stainless bolts contact it?

How long has it been together like that?

Did you add the silicon to the bolts yourself?

Sorry for all the questions but I am about to put aluminum skin on my steel framed cabover truck bed camper and haven't found a solution for the bolts. In between the steel bracing and the aluminum I will use VHB tape.

No corrosion to speak of yet.

Its been together for more than a year now, and lives outside so its seen it all, including a nasty Idaho winter.

Bolts were tossed in a cup, then sprayed with silicone spray, then installed.
I did this more as a lubricant for the threads than anything.
Ive removed two of the panels since finishing the bed to address a few things, like the aux fuel tank that is in-bed.
Having them removable is one of the best design choices I made....

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Uh, the EVA foam tiles I used weighed about 8 oz.

Yep, and a gallon of Raptor does 125 square feet.
One gallon kit of raptor weighs 8.8lbs, including the box & 4 jugs.
Its 57% solids....

So... 57% of 8.8 = 5 lbs
5 (lbs) divided by 125 (square feet) = .04 lbs per square feet.

Or .64 oz per square foot.

As I said....

Alloy

A touch of Tef-Gel will prevent corrosion between the alum. and SS. Also prevent the SS from galling and lasts for years.

VHB tape isnt the best as it will absorb water. A better solution is UHMW or PE tape. I've even used clear packaging tape.

Better yet is urethane caulking then let it set so it forms a 1/16"-1/8" gasket before tightening the bolts. If a permenet bond isn't needed don't clean/sand the alum. and let the caulking skin before putting the alum. on.

Use socket fasteners like the ones IdaSho used.

Grade of alum like 5052 or 5086 will dull off vs. 30003 will stay brite.

Alum. brightener will take the shine off but be very careful it is an acid so wear hand, eye protection and waterproof boots.

The 5 bar pattern is more slip resistant than C102 but I never use checker plate if I'm looking for slip resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke