'Bog out' system/straps

Plan B

I'm pretty sure the idea of using spinning wheels as a winch has been around for a long time ie: www.bushwinch.com.au

But I have only just noticed these 'Bogout' strap/wheel winch idea which looks now to be marketed to 4WDers etc.
I have never used or tried them. I just noticed them and I think for the simple fact that they pack down into a small bag and they give you the ability to self recover which may be a good alternative for someone that doesn't have a electric winch etc. (would have to be easier to use than a hand winch etc).

Also the fact that you can recover forwards or backwards I would have to say even if you have a electric winch these may come in handy for when you want to go 'back out' of the bog you are in.

Anyone use anything similar?

image.jpeg

www.bogout.com

Lucky j

Explorer
Pretty simple in deed, but boy, you sure want them to stay on the Wheel. Not sure I would use those just by my self w/o a spotter to tell me that I'm still on track.

If for any reason you get of the Wheel, those will start ripping off suspension part and others. even if you stop just in time or a little later, they could be a pain to pull out if you are still stuck. And also expensise to let say. Ok, what the hell, I'm just gonna cut them.

Cool Idea, but to me, nut up to snuff to replace other recovery gear.

CharlieAubo

Pretty simple in deed, but boy, you sure want them to stay on the Wheel. Not sure I would use those just by my self w/o a spotter to tell me that I'm still on track.

If for any reason you get of the Wheel, those will start ripping off suspension part and others. even if you stop just in time or a little later, they could be a pain to pull out if you are still stuck. And also expensise to let say. Ok, what the hell, I'm just gonna cut them.

Cool Idea, but to me, nut up to snuff to replace other recovery gear.
You absolutely want to make sure that the anchor point is in line with your wheel. You have the full force of your engine and the torque of your wheels to pull you out. Easy to stop, check and adjust.

Because recovery is taking place from the bottom of your wheel, the angle of recovery is highly efficient (ie lifting action) so less load is required. It was designed by a guy who spent a lot of time on his own out in the bush and was stuck up to the axle in mud with no help around. IMG_04.JPGIMG_08.JPG

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It is a novel lightweight idea which is good to see in the market.

My main concerns would be that you can't pull at an angle. That REALLY complicates things. Whenever I get my vehicles genuinely stuck, I am always pulling at an angle with my winch. I am usually trying to pull the vehicle away from something also. I don't think this system has that capability generally. To me, this limits the scope of use.

CharlieAubo

Hi @Metcalf

Yes, its weight and size are suprisingly deceptive for its strength. Obviously it is important to have the right tools for the type of off roading that you do. We have seen a video from a 4WD training school where recovery was made at an angle and it did work - definately not recommended!

If you have a winch, then bogout can be useful for rear recovery and it does have the power to pull the vehicle away

Attachments

• Customer Paul NSW Bogged Front original.jpg
    Customer Paul NSW Bogged Front original.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Customer Paul NSW Bog Out original.jpg
    Customer Paul NSW Bog Out original.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 39

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles