Boden Build - 2015 Tacoma DCLB 4wd

tacozord

Adventurer
Depo black tail lights

Some kid smashed my tail light a couple days ago. So instead of replacing with stock OEM tail lights, I installed Depo black tail lights. I never planned on changing these, but I like the look.

Before:
taillight_before.jpg

After:
taillight_after.jpg

tacozord

Adventurer
Removed rear seats

Removed back seats today. I feel that they just get in the way of storing gear. Also, I hated the black storage compartments behind the seat. What a waste of space.

RemoveBackSeats_1.jpg

RemoveBackSeats_2.jpg

DVexile

Adventurer
Removed back seats today. I feel that they just get in the way of storing gear.

I need seating for three and have been thinking of removing the 40% portion of the rear seat behind the driver to provide more space.

Also, I hated the black storage compartments behind the seat. What a waste of space.

Yeah, pretty sure those are going away across the whole 100%.

Looks nice and open in the back of your truck now. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Last edited:

tacozord

Adventurer
I understand about needing the seating for others. One friend of mine thinks I'm crazy. But I'm not throwing the seats out. So with a little planning, I could always re-install them.

However, the increased space is incredible. My ultimate plan is to build a level platform, carpeted and with u-track for tie-downs. This will make it look better and actually be more practical. I typically load camera gear on driver side of back seat area for quick access. I'm talking pelican and Halliburton cases. Then, the tools and recovery gear I currently have back there will go in the bed after a shell is installed. Finally, the passenger side of the back will be for additional storage when needed, but I want to be able to take my German Shepherd out with me. So a cushy dog bed for him along with a safety harness tie-down will be added.

Last edited:

DVexile

Adventurer
Good plan! Yes, definitely want to have tie downs for everything. Accidents get really ugly when equipment becomes airborne in the cab.

So dumb question now that I look more closely at the pictures... The 60% passenger side and 40% driver side seats do come out separately? I could just remove the driver side and leave the passenger side installed correct?

tacozord

Adventurer
The 60% passenger side and 40% driver side seats do come out separately? I could just remove the driver side and leave the passenger side installed correct?

Yes exactly. In fact, I took out the driver side first.

1. Fold the seat bottom forward. Remove two bolts at base and it comes out.
  2. Fold the seat back down. Remove plastic covers on back down near pivot point. Remove two bolts and it comes out.
If you want to remove both sections, the same method applies to the passenger side. However, there are two more bolts to remove that attach the seat belts to the floor. One of then is required to remove in order to take out the 60% passenger seat back. After removing all cushions, you can then remove the bracket which is bolted to the floor between the two sections.

Anyway, I actually wish that the 40% section was on the passenger side. If that was the case, then I'd probably leave it in. However(just thinking out loud), I'm wondering if I can simply relocate that bracket closer towards the passenger side and re-tap holes for the necessary bolts. That way, the 40% section can be installed on the passenger side. I'll have to investigate a bit further.

As a side note...if you want to simply remove the black storage organizer against the back wall, you should probably remove the seat backs first and then reinstall afterwards. I didn't do this. As a result, when I was taking them out, I had to apply a little more force than necessary and some of the white plastic clips that hold the thing in place against the back wall broke. But I don't really care, because they're never going back in.
:punk03:

Last edited:

DVexile

Adventurer
Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply! I live across the country from my truck which is in storage so I couldn't just go out and look.

It seems some plastic clips are likely to break no matter what you do when removing things. As long as you can figure out the part number they are cheap to replace if you do decide to reinstall for some reason.

Yeah, I too wish the 40% was on the passenger side. I only need one passenger back there but they will always be on the passenger side. Interesting idea about relocating the 40% section to the passenger side. As long as you were still using the original seat belt attachment points there shouldn't be any safety issues with tapping your own holes for the seat mounts themselves. I'll look into that this fall when my build starts up again - assuming you don't get there first!

Thanks again.

tacozord

Adventurer
I took the truck out this past Saturday on Cleghorn Trail with a group from TTORA. It was quite an epic run, considering this was the easy leg of the trip. I bailed after Cleghorn, but others continued on up Pilot Rock and Dishpan. Anyway, one guy broke a shock mount and another flopped over coming down a hill. Luckily, I escaped with only a ton of scratches down both sides. I also scraped my driver-side rear fender going down an off-camber narrow section. There was nothing I could do about it.

scratches.jpg

[video]https://youtu.be/9W3kcFek-2g[/video]

tacozord

Adventurer
Finally...I got my all-in-one key working and programmed that I bought from a Tacoma World user by the name of Neneago. This took a while to put together, because I refused to pay the dealer any money to enter the key into the immobilizer ECU.

I bought the key on 12/31/14. I then had it cut on 1/7/15 and programmed the buttons the same day.

To enter the encrypted keycode into the truck's ECU, I made two attempts of doing it myself. First, I bought a cable and Techstream software from Amazon. I was successful with the software and cable driver installation. After connecting, it communicated with the vehicle, but didn't offer any options to adjust. It was informational only, so this wasn't going to actually do anything for me. I ended up returning it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...page_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amazonquery-20

Next, I bought the MVCI cable from China through eBay. I was successful with software and cable driver installation, but the cable communication was lost as soon as I plugged it into the OBDII port in the truck. They offered me a refund, but after cost of shipping back to China, I said forget it. (I might have better luck selling it.) When I asked the seller about the situation, they told me that it wouldn't work with the 2015 Tacoma.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30105345819...ame=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

Anyway, TODAY...I was able to get the dealer to program the key for free. I was there last week and asked nicely if they would program the key. After speaking with the manager, he said yes. I'm a very happy camper now. :camping:

Key: $48.32
Cutting: $4.83.
TOTAL COST: $53.15

Negeago's TacomaWorld thread
Negeago's website
Key programming

2015-05-13_TacomaKey_Z2A1676_web800.jpg

Dibbs

However(just thinking out loud), I'm wondering if I can simply relocate that bracket closer towards the passenger side and re-tap holes for the necessary bolts. That way, the 40% section can be installed on the passenger side. I'll have to investigate a bit further.

If you were to figure that out and do a write-up, I'd be so happy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier