Boden Build - 2015 Tacoma DCLB 4wd

crolison

Observer
I have a set of icon progressive aal, and was wondering how you like them with all the weight in the rear end? And with all the weight how much lift do you get loaded? Like 23-24" from hub to the bottom of the fender on the rear?

Adventurous

Explorer
Thanks for your write up on the RAM mount to the grab handle. I used that the other day to do the same. I could have used a GPS a few times last year so it was an opportune time to stumble upon your write up.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Your thread is fantastic! Tons of information, and some of the most thorough write-ups I've seen in a build thread. Plus your truck is kinda cool too I guess ;)

Seriously though, your truck is sweet. I'm very impressed.

I'm also pretty jealous. The Mojave Road has been on my "must-do" list for a long time. The more information I can get on it before I finally do it, the better. I haven't done much desert wheeling. I really, really need to.

tacozord

Adventurer
I have a set of icon progressive aal, and was wondering how you like them with all the weight in the rear end? And with all the weight how much lift do you get loaded? Like 23-24" from hub to the bottom of the fender on the rear?

The Icon AAL is great. However, as soon as I put on the shell, I saw and felt its limitations. They're just not designed to handle the heavy load. But I knew this going in. So my long term goal is to replace the rear leafs with custom leaf packs. I'm just waiting until I do some more fabrication in the shell, such as a second battery, water tank, storage, etc. Once this is complete, my total weight will settle, and I'll have the new leafs made.

As for measurements, I'll have to get back to you.

tacozord

Adventurer
Thanks for your write up on the RAM mount to the grab handle. I used that the other day to do the same. I could have used a GPS a few times last year so it was an opportune time to stumble upon your write up.

Glad I could help. As I pointed out, I use the RAM mount on the grab handle for the Delorme inReach Explorer. The works in conjunction with an iPad mounted to the center console for my navigation. Works pretty good and happy with the setup. Just need to download and cache the maps beforehand.

tacozord

Adventurer
Your thread is fantastic! Tons of information, and some of the most thorough write-ups I've seen in a build thread. Plus your truck is kinda cool too I guess ;)

Seriously though, your truck is sweet. I'm very impressed.

I'm also pretty jealous. The Mojave Road has been on my "must-do" list for a long time. The more information I can get on it before I finally do it, the better. I haven't done much desert wheeling. I really, really need to.

Thank you. I aim to please. :sombrero:

The Mojave Road is fantastic. I highly recommend it. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time. It's not something to rush if you really want to enjoy and explore the area.

And speaking of jealousy. I'd love to explore the trails of Montana. I really really need to. haha

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Thank you. I aim to please. :sombrero:

The Mojave Road is fantastic. I highly recommend it. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time. It's not something to rush if you really want to enjoy and explore the area.

And speaking of jealousy. I'd love to explore the trails of Montana. I really really need to. haha

Haha I agree.

Let me know when you decide to make your way out. I'll show you around :)

deeve

Observer
Great thread! Thank you for putting so much work in to be detailed with links. I am planning my rig and am going back and forth on a DCLB or DCSB. Now that you have taken a few trips, what are your thoughts? This will be my daily driver and all around vehicle, to include some trips similar to what you have be doing.

Thanks!
DAVE

tacozord

Adventurer
Great thread! Thank you for putting so much work in to be detailed with links. I am planning my rig and am going back and forth on a DCLB or DCSB. Now that you have taken a few trips, what are your thoughts? This will be my daily driver and all around vehicle, to include some trips similar to what you have be doing.

Thanks!
DAVE

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the compliments.

The decision of long bed vs short bed is constantly debated. What it comes down to is your preferences. I seriously wanted a long bed, so the short bed wasn't an option. Therefore, the real question for me was whether I wanted a double cab or access cab. If you're like most, then the double cab is great if you have friends and family that will be traveling with you. If you're like me, then storage is a priority. As I'm sure you noticed, I removed my rear seats to gain more storage, because I bring a lot of camera gear with me.

Anyway, as a daily driver, the DCLB is long and parking can be difficult. As an off-road vehicle, the longer wheelbase can also be troublesome. So if you're more into an expedition vehicle that's not going to do any hard core rock crawling, then the DCLB shines. Also, if you plan on sleeping in the bed, then I feel a long bed is a must.

tacozord

Adventurer
Such a great build!

Thanks! I've taken a break from working on the truck to focus on a few other things. However, I've got lots more planned, so stay tuned. Meanwhile, I'm heading out to the desert this weekend for more trails and photography. Whoo-hoo!!!! :safari-rig:

tacozord

Adventurer
Joshua Tree - 2/27-2/28

I went to Joshua Tree this past weekend and drove Old Dale Road and Pinkham Canyon. Both are really easy trails but a lot of fun. The weather was warm and the scenery was fantastic!

Here's my buddy's Jeep climbing Old Dale.
2016-02-27_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7553_web600.jpg

At the top of the hill on Old Dale Road, there's this abandoned building.
2016-02-27_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7567_web600.jpg

Inside the park, we stopped off at Cholla Cactus Garden. We timed sunset perfectly.
2016-02-27_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7596_web600.jpg

A Unimog was camping at Cottonwood Springs.
2016-02-27_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7607_web600.jpg

Trailhead for Pinkham Canyon.
2016-02-28_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7649_web600.jpg

Not much wildlife, but we did see a lot of birds. This guy flew right up to us and hung out for a while.
2016-02-28_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7665_web600.jpg

Great clouds on Sunday!
2016-02-28_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7670_web600.jpg

Various trees down in Pinkham Canyon.
2016-02-28_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7680_web600.jpg

2016-02-28_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7683_web600.jpg

2016-02-28_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7684_web600.jpg

The wildflower bloom was pretty good with lots of variety.
2016-02-28_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7674_web600.jpg

2016-02-28_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7675_web600.jpg

2016-02-28_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7716_web600.jpg

2016-02-28_Joshua_Tree_Z2A7721_web600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz