Bob's "New" Xterra

Robert Bills

Explorer
I'm new to the Nissan forum on Expo, but have participated on the Expedition Trailer page for many years.

My 40+ years offroading has been primarily in a Jeep
. Most recently I had a rockcrawler CJ-7, locked front and rear with 35s. However, as I've gotten older I've realized that my interests have evolved back to where they began - offroad expeditions rather than conquering extreme technical obstacles. So I sold my jeep and have been in search of a new ride.

Xterras have intrigued me since they were first introduced. More refined than a Jeep and reminiscent of a Discovery, they seemed to be to be the most reasonably priced all purpose, truck based expo vehicle currently on the market. So I decided I had to have one.

My parameters: a well-maintained bone stock, relatively low mileage Generation 2 with service records and no rock rash or other damage. It has always been my rule not to buy rigs modified by someone I don't know. There's almost nothing worse than modifications ill conceived or poorly done.

The last two months have been spent searching Craigslist, the Autotrader, dealer websites, dealerships and even mall parking lots in search of good candidates. I also had a friend in the car business search the auctions. Finally, last week, a dealership about 100 miles from my home in Shasta County, California took one in on trade that met all of my requirements. (Traded for a new Ford Fusion with better gas mileage.) Fortunately (for me), they didn't seem to know the difference between an X, S or Off Road and were motivated to sell.

It's now in my driveway, and will receive its first mod tomorrow - bypassing the radiator transmission cooler. After that I'm going to get some White Knuckle sliders and drive it with stock suspension for awhile to learn what it can do from the factory.

So, without further ado, here is my new (to me) 2005 Xterra Off Road:

2005 Nissan Xterra Profile Shot.jpg

2005 Nissan Xterra 01.jpg

2005 Nissan Xterra 03.jpg

And my '46 Bantam T3-C "expo" trailer that I bought the X to tow:

Jeep%20Trailer%201.jpg

Let the fun begin!

farley27

Adventurer
Nice choice, I'm partial to the color as well! Good work bypassing the rad/trans already. I'd also extend the rear diff breather @ $10 and takes 15 minutes.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Very nice! You'll enjoy it. I had one briefly a few years back and loved it, but a pickup better suits my needs. I've got an 07 Frontier Nismo, so I can speak from experience that it'll serve you well. Looking forward to following your progress as you make it yours!

Barrows

Adventurer
Congrats on the "new" xterra. I have been actively searching for a while, the comfort level of the xterra is very appealing, compared to a wrangler. The offroad has a locking rear diff and bilstien shocks, correct? Any other mods from the factory?

Robert Bills

Explorer
Congrats on the "new" xterra. I have been actively searching for a while, the comfort level of the xterra is very appealing, compared to a wrangler. The offroad has a locking rear diff and bilstien shocks, correct? Any other mods from the factory?

Yes, the "Off Road" comes with a rear e-locker, vehicle descent control, Bilstein shocks, skid plates (thin, probably good for one use only, but at least something is there), 265/75-16 tires, factory fog lights, and a decent radio. I'm not sure what else differentiates the Off Road from the base "X" trim and the "S."

I seriously considered a 2000 Jeep XJ due to the strong aftermarket support and my familiarity with the engine, axles, etc. However, it was clear to me that the Xterra would spend less time on jack stands. In the end, my indecision paid off because the XJ I was considering was sold and the X I purchased appeared on the dealer's lot the next week.

Nice choice, I'm partial to the color as well! Good work bypassing the rad/trans already. I'd also extend the rear diff breather @ $10 and takes 15 minutes.

I saw your rig here and on www.thenewx.org. Nice job! In fact, the color of your Xterra changed my mind about buying a silver one. ("Everyone has one of those.") I'll be picking your brain when the coffee can I use to hide mod money gets a bit more full.

Very nice! You'll enjoy it. I had one briefly a few years back and loved it, but a pickup better suits my needs. I've got an 07 Frontier Nismo, so I can speak from experience that it'll serve you well. Looking forward to following your progress as you make it yours!

I thought about a pickup. Its pretty much the rig of choice around here. But after I assessed what I need vs. the advantages/disadvantages of an open bed, the Xterra won. I don't have any major modifications planned yet. I want to learn what it can do in stock form first. I will, however, order some White Knuckle rock sliders (unless someone speaks up about another brand that works better) to avoid trail damage and shopping mall door dings. Undercarriage armor can wait because the offroading around here is primarily forest roads and logging trails without a lot of rocks.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Big fan of your colour, im a "Everyone has one of those" guys, but first gen. I wanted a different colour but the low mileage and condition more than made up for silver. Its not a bad colour just boring.

IMG-20130208-00304_zps2be5a183.jpg

looking forward to your updates

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Congrats! 07 OR here (you can find me on thenewx.org (this is my build thread), too). The skids will actually take a bit of abuse. I managed to conform my engine skid to my oil pan quite nicely, completely rip off the radiator skid (in the middle of a Pennsylvania boulder field at Rausch Creek - I had no life back then, though). I need to do a write up here to talk about what I've done to the rig, but I've not taken the time as I keep doing more and more mods. Next month is a replacement of the stock shocks and springs up front with Radflos and then new UCAs. goneMoab is coming and I want to be even more ready this year.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I thought about a pickup. Its pretty much the rig of choice around here. But after I assessed what I need vs. the advantages/disadvantages of an open bed, the Xterra won. I don't have any major modifications planned yet.

I love SUVs, but I prefer to keep my dead ducks and deer seperate from the living passengers! I also do lots of home improvement and farm-related projects, so a truck just fit my needs better. I think you'll like the tidy proportions of the X. They're a really great size!

Allof75

Pathfinder
Very clean X, love the color! There's way too many silver, white, or black ones down here. I've wheeled with my buddy's 2009 OR for a few years, and they're very capable. Excellent power, with great quasi-Defender utilitarian nature. Awesome trailer too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online